1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Old timer
5,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Formerly LSNotch
827 Posts
I saw the video on youtube since I'm subscribed to his channel and was very surprised to hear that was on 93 octane with 13+ compression. I thought that was not possible, but I bet every carefully selected part adds to the combo. Congrats Ed on being part of that very impressive street combo. Btw, does the owner even posts here?

·
Registered
4,024 Posts
Nuckin futz what that Higgins Cleveland style heads/intake can do.

Here's a 900+ HP 460

·
Old timer
5,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
oh my. wonder what the dynamic c/r is.
I didn't design the camshaft profile with DCR in mind.

It's BS in my opinion but it does keep the internet happy. ;)

·
Registered
990 Posts
I didn't design the camshaft profile with DCR in mind.

It's BS in my opinion but it does keep the internet happy. ;)
Heresy!

I don't mean to say that the cam was designed for a specific DCR, but rather it's a high DCR as a result of the design. My little 10.5ish:1 has a DCR of 7.75, I imagine this motor is considerably higher.

·
Registered
7,585 Posts
that's Doc's Notch although seems like he hasn't been here in some time

427" Small Block Ford
Dart Aluminum Block with Lunati Crank, Oliver Rods, and CP Pistons
13.2 Compression Ratio, Run on 93 Octane Pump Gas
Higgins Race Heads Cleveland Cylinder Head and Intake Manifold Package
Outlaw Racecraft Custom Headers and Exhaust.
Liberty 5 Speed Clutch Assisted Transmission
Black Magic Next Gen Clutch
Tuned by Me with Holley EFI.

·
Registered
191 Posts
So what is the trick to getting a 13.2:1 compression engine to run off pump gas?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
What they are not telling you is about the fuel. 93 What? There are many versions of this fuel. Is it true pump gas? Is it race fuel made with less than 10 hydrocarbons> Is it oxygenated? Go figure.

·
Old timer
5,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
88 Posts
What they are not telling you is about the fuel. 93 What? There are many versions of this fuel. Is it true pump gas? Is it race fuel made with less than 10 hydrocarbons> Is it oxygenated? Go figure.
See, that's what I'm wondering, but the car community has a habit of hiding information and being incredibly dishonest. However, if the car truly runs on pump gas with no additives then that's awesome! What is the science behind running pump gas with a very high compression engine? This information could help the entire community, from every engine size and build.

Very impressive build, and it's also another reason I'm considering a 351 stroker combination.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Total Inductions Tuning Solutions: 860-282-****
Now there's a phone number a guy is likely to remember!

Edit: post was censored, look at the bottom of the dyno sheet.
Jay

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Not hating anything. Just pointing out facts. Not all fuel is created equal. Sure it my be 93 octane, tell me where you bought it and what refinery made it. Come up here and buy fuel in the rocky mt area and make the same numbers. By they way we only have 91 as 93 is not needed for the altitude. And no B.S. corrections. Run the car at Bandimere to get the same times. Your good but not that good.Wanna bet

·
Registered
302 Posts
Not hating anything. Just pointing out facts. Not all fuel is created equal. Sure it my be 93 octane, tell me where you bought it and what refinery made it.
I'll bite - besides ethanol content, what makes any pump 93 perform different from any other? I know different stations use different detergents/additives/branding, but as long as it meets the 93 octane rating, what measurable performance gains do you see?

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
that's Doc's Notch although seems like he hasn't been here in some time

Havent been on here in a while, i check in ever few months to see if i am missing anything. How have you been Paul?

So what is the trick to getting a 13.2:1 compression engine to run off pump gas?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
In my opinion it is all about the combination, these cylinder heads have a VERY efficient chamber, and are dont really need much timing to get the job done. The cam also plays a big role, but there are guys in Australia with similar combos that run a little more compression and much more aggressive cams on pump gas.

What Ed did not mention in the original post is that it is 93 octane from Sunoco, 10 fresh gallons and the other 3-4 in the tank had been sitting for about a year. Maybe the 3 or 4 gallons soaked some oxygen up from sitting so long...

See, that's what I'm wondering, but the car community has a habit of hiding information and being incredibly dishonest. However, if the car truly runs on pump gas with no additives then that's awesome! What is the science behind running pump gas with a very high compression engine? This information could help the entire community, from every engine size and build.

Very impressive build, and it's also another reason I'm considering a 351 stroker combination.
Nothing to hide, I have a thread on the NA section at yellowbullet documenting the engine build... Thank you for the compliment.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Ill cut and paste my dyno post from the YB thread here for anyone interested.

So, obviously I did not make it to dragweek. We hurt some parts in the bottom end on the engine dyno and I was not able to make up the time lost.
Here is the engine completed, in the car.

But now for the good news. I got the car running and driving about 2 weeks ago, put about 10 street miles on it and went to the dyno last friday. I went into the day with the goal of making sure the combination was happy on pump gas, if possible, if the engine showed any signs it did not like the pump gas, the plan was to stop and come back with good fuel. We had C12 in the tank on the engine dyno, and the tuning window was so wide on the race fuel, that I thought I could get away with pump gas. So the first pull at the chassis dyno, I had the air fuel target at 12.5:1 and the timing at 26 degrees. I know from the engine dyno session, that at 29 degrees this thing is happy.

So first pull I was shocked to see 725rwhp, so was Paul at Total Induction where I was renting the dyno. We looked at the data, only thing I saw there as a point of concern was we are only seeing 6” of crankcase vacuum, but everything else looked happy, oil pressure was solid, air fuel was a little rich but close enough to where I knew the holley could keep up. This run I pulled it to about 8000rpm. The rest of the day I stopped the pulls between 8300-8500rpm. We could not get the car and the inductive pickup to co-operate, so I did my best to guess the RPM at peak HP by looking at dyno MPH vs my DS sensor and RPM in the datalog.

After the first pull we pulled a little bit of fuel out of it and I also adjusted the vacuum pump regulator. Next pull netted 742rwhp, but it only picked up 1” of crankcase vacuum, I decided to not mess with the regulator anymore because it should have been more than 1” as much as I moved the regulator. The oil pan has a small leak and also, I want to verify that my sensor for the holley is reading correctly before I go any further. So we added a degree of timing after that and it picked up another 7hp and we were at 749rwhp. Added one more degree of timing and it made 760rwhp. We were now at 29 degrees of timing and the fuel curve was looking happy. We tried a 12.9:1 AFR target and it picked up a small amount at peak, but lost more down low, so we stuck with 12.7:1 AFR where it seemed happier overall.

All of the above numbers were run thru the 3” mufflers and tailpipes. The dyno shop is in a semi residential neighborhood so we didn’t want to piss the anyone off too early in the day. So the plan was to get the tuneup right and pull the caps on the x-pipe to see what it did without the restriction of the catback and tailpipes. Interestingly enough, it picked up only a few HP at peak, but down low it gained 10-15hp in some places, which should really help shift recovery. After all of the testing, the best run we had was 765rwhp, peaking around 76-7700 rpm and carrying it out to about 8000-8200rpm. I am extremely happy with the results, I didn’t go into the day trying to make a number, so all of that was just icing on the cake. The car is an absolute monster on pump gas, and I was unsure of how it would go on pump at 13.2:1 static compression ratio, but the plugs did not show anything to make us the least bit nervous all day. I do need to work on the entry into the air pan though, we closed the hood and it lost a bunch of power. I know it is on a stationary dyno but I am going to see if I can test the car with the hood on and off of the car to see if it makes any difference. I really do not want to put a forward facing scoop on the car.

Another thing to note is that i should be seeing around 12-14" of pan vacuum, and that is probably worth a little bit more power with the ring package in the engine.

·
Formerly LSNotch
827 Posts
Congrats on that beast! What does the rest of the drivetrain consists of if you don't mind me asking?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts