Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this over on NMRA racing and figured Id give it a shot over here.

First pass on new motor 1.37 60 foot then it lays down like its running out of fuel, it was sputtering bad and it went 6.61 to the 1/8.

I have a prostar 500 pump hp 950 carb with jet extensions aeromotive 13202 regulator from when I had the turbo. I disconnected the boost reference.

Any one had this problem.

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
Did you look at the FP gauge when it layed down? That should be more than enough pump and carb unless its a high compression motor, then it could use a dominator.

1.37 sixty foot is good. You sure the converter isn't too loose and it didn't just blow through the converter on the top rpms? What was the 330' numbers?

·
Registered
1,202 Posts

First pass on new motor 1.37 60 foot then it lays down like its running out of fuel, it was sputtering bad and it went 6.61 to the 1/8.

I have a prostar 500 pump hp 950 carb with jet extensions aeromotive 13202 regulator from when I had the turbo. I disconnected the boost reference.

What was your fuel pressure during the run? At what RPM's was it breaking up and what is the rev limiter set on? What kind of cam and springs? Were they checked out? James

·
Registered
1,202 Posts

Also, you might want to check that the MSD is properly grounded and is not receiving interference from other electrical equipment. James

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for answering guys!

Ok, cam is 700 lift solid roller with new K motion springs set up but a guy who builds real IHRA pro stock engines, I dont have the specs off hand but I am confident the springs are not the issue cause sometimes it hits 6800 real quick and sometimes it does not.

I think the prob is the regulator maybe. It is for blowthrough turbo. But it worked before at 11.19

I will check the grounds again this afternoon.

I know this sounds lame but I did not look at the gauge as I was driving and am still gettin used to a car that actually is fast.

I think I am gonna try another gauge first of all, then another regulator.

The car seemed to respond to turning up the pressure, it was almost at 9 at the gauge. Obviously 7-8 is optimal.

Floats look good.

Does this seem like a regulator prob?

The odd thing is at first it revs real quick through the whole RPM band, then usually in second it seems like it runs out of fuel.
Is a boost gauge the same as fuel pressure?

What regulators you guys usin, are they return style.

My friends Camaro uses a basic holley blue pump regulator with his prostar 500 and runs 9.60 on nuts.

I may try that.

I might put it on the dyno so I can watch everything close.

Maybe a fuel filter prob, I have an inline one -8. I think Ill check that.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey, one more thing.

Does anyone think my stock sumped tank may be sloshing and uncovering the sump?

Its odd cause when the car died and I turned the pump back on to start it sounded "dry" and then you could tell the pump started to get fuel.

Funny thing is Ive seen cars way faster than mine with stock tanks...just a thought.

Ill chcek some stuff today and see what happens.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
i had the same problem a few years back check your needle and seats and jets for anything that may have gotten in there ... i had a small piece of teflon tape in a sec jet .

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Hey, one more thing.

Does anyone think my stock sumped tank may be sloshing and uncovering the sump?

Its odd cause when the car died and I turned the pump back on to start it sounded "dry" and then you could tell the pump started to get fuel.

Funny thing is Ive seen cars way faster than mine with stock tanks...just a thought.

Ill chcek some stuff today and see what happens.
Are the fuel lines tight? Sounds like you may have sucked in some air. I used the stock tank (without a sump) with a pickup and had no problems running low tens and sixtying low 1.30's. I did, however, make certain I was at least 3/8ths full. What about the fuel pressure regulator? Are you going to change that? If the ground and ignition checks out good double check everything in the fuel system. Have you free flowed the pump to test how much fuel it was actually pumping? James

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sounds good James. I drained the tank to check the filter and got 4 gallons out.

Im gonna fill it up with 10 gal as this is the same fuel system I have had for 4 years to rule out slosh, gonna hit the track in a few days and see what happens.

Then if it does not fix it then Ill try a new reg.

TTYS.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts