Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was looking to get a custom tube front end and most places quoted me $1500+. 417 motorsports has this priced at $750, full chromoly with fender mounts (which was a must for me). I have little experience in this type of thing, this was the first time I had ever drilled out a spot weld even.

It was surprisingly easy. Blake, the owner, is easy to get ahold of to ask questions.

Things I'm doing that others might not... welding a plate where the factory upper crush area meets the tube front. Relocating the radiator further back from OEM. I'm also adding a bar to the front frame rails to support the fender/a2a intercooler.

Keep in mind, You'll have to put hood pins or something of the like in since factory hood mount will be deleted.

Lastly, its light. The box the tube front came in weighed 25lbs. They claim a savings of over 63lbs if you include the factory crash bumper.

·
Premium Member
3,569 Posts
I will be looking for updated pics as you progress and put it back together. What was your old setup like?

I have contemplated going this route to clean up my engine bay even more and to help with packaging...might even use that as an excuse to change my hotside around for a front mount a bigger turbo, no intercooler (meth instead) and side bumper exit downpipes.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I'm completely changing it up. Old setup was a 331 with small twins.

Now doing 4v 5.4 with a s480

I want the turbo up high in the passenger wheel well so I can run an exhaust out back (no fender exit for me) and I wanted space up front to put a big a2a with as little cutting to bumper as possible.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Also curious.... I have no experience with stuff like this either. Looks to be nothing there anymore..... I don't see how you can mount anything to it lol.....

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
i cant wait to get my car back and order one of these from blake! i really like the look of his set up over the hazard fab set up

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
SRTthis798;177043g14 said:
i cant wait to get my car back and order one of these from blake! i really like the look of his set up over the hazard fab set up
The hazard fab one looks nice, but I'm not a fan of how far they move the top bars in so they could mount off the strut tower.

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
The hazard fab one looks nice, but I'm not a fan of how far they move the top bars in so they could mount off the strut tower.
exact reason i like the 417 over the hazard...

·
Premium Member
3,569 Posts
Can you shoot me a couple of pics of the 417 setup?

I am concerned about not using the strut tower plates like Hazard uses. BUT, the 417 gives you tons more room. I don't even think Hazards would clear my turbo and down pipe stuff.

It looks like there is a vertical plate that covers the hole in the upper rail from the cut, but is there a bottom plate with a bolt that runs through it to help hold it up that is also welded too? I can see it in their photos on FB but it doesn't give a lot of description.

The lower core support I assume is in the stock location, but they ship this thing in pieces (got pics of it before install) and it looks like their lower slides over the main tube rails with a sleeve that also has the tab for the upper support welded to it. Can you shoot me a pic of that area? I would need to move my lower back about 1-2" to account for my radiator being canted into the bumper cover on my car. I wouldn't be using the upper radiator support for a radiator, it would hold my Air/Water intercooler.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Can you shoot me a couple of pics of the 417 setup?

I am concerned about not using the strut tower plates like Hazard uses. BUT, the 417 gives you tons more room. I don't even think Hazards would clear my turbo and down pipe stuff.

It looks like there is a vertical plate that covers the hole in the upper rail from the cut, but is there a bottom plate with a bolt that runs through it to help hold it up that is also welded too? I can see it in their photos on FB but it doesn't give a lot of description.

Yes, there is a bottom plate. As you can see in this photo, I accidentally cut 1/4" too much from this side so I'm putting a piece of steel on the end to weld the 417 plate to.

The lower core support I assume is in the stock location, but they ship this thing in pieces (got pics of it before install) and it looks like their lower slides over the main tube rails with a sleeve that also has the tab for the upper support welded to it. Can you shoot me a pic of that area? I would need to move my lower back about 1-2" to account for my radiator being canted into the bumper cover on my car. I wouldn't be using the upper radiator support for a radiator, it would hold my Air/Water intercooler.

I dont have any before pics, and I'm away from my garage for 2 weeks. It comes in 4 pieces. 2 frame rails, the lower radiator support and the bolt on upper support. I drew this on my phone, haha.

The slip joint buts right up to the upper frame rail.

lk

·
Premium Member
3,569 Posts
that explains it perfectly

what kind of instructions does he give you so you know where to cut.

As soon as he offeres a 94-95 (should be same as his 98up) I am going to go this route.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No instructions. The spot weld seam is where you separate on the inside, so I measured from the bolt hole to the plate and hit it spot on passenger side and 1/4 off driver.

Doing it again, I'd completely drill out spot welds leaving the OEM fender support understructure attached and then cut. Then you can see where line is from inside.

·
Premium Member
3,569 Posts
No instructions. The spot weld seam is where you separate on the inside, so I measured from the bolt hole to the plate and hit it spot on passenger side and 1/4 off driver.

Doing it again, I'd completely drill out spot welds leaving the OEM fender support understructure attached and then cut. Then you can see where line is from inside.
Thanks for the reply. I saw some other pics on their FB page that also explains the folded under tab at the upper rails.

As soon as they can confirm a 94-95, I am gonna purchase it. I will be doing the install in my garage with my little Lincoln 180 myself. This will deffinitely be a nerve racking task. I've done some welding, built my own 4" dp, went tubular lower core support and other little things. Heck, I have a dozen spot rivet drill bits new in a box to use. Certainly I can install this too. Just gonna measure a thousand times before cutting.

Please keep this thread going with pics of your progress along the way.

·
Premium Member
2,446 Posts
Any updates, pictures on this front end install? I'm really looking forward to seeing the results. Thank you.
He said on Jan 30th that he was going to be away from the garage for 2 weeks, that would suggest that it will be Feb 13/14 before you can expect any update. Today is Feb 10th, so maybe by next Wed you will get an answer.

·
Premium Member
3,569 Posts
Damn ,that looks good

1 - 20 of 63 Posts