Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
6,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a friend with a 408 similar to mine at 9.5:1 compression, he is finally ready to jump on some boost and we are trying to decide which blower to go with.

The reason we are going blower is just because the engine is already got a nice exhaust and such on it, adding a accessory drive supercharger is just easier than going turbo.

So we are torn between the YSi V-7 of some kind or a F1R possibly.

We want to keep the alternator on the car and a power steering pump as well.

Engine is currently using 225 Hi ports and its a completely forged setup we would like to run on pump gas and E85 as times.

Car currently has a Holley HP EFI installed and runs wonderfully.

We are just looking for some guidance here on where to start. Not sure if we want to go with driver or passenger mount, bracket options, and intercooler options. We want to run a standard front mount intercooler.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Got a friend with a 408 similar to mine at 9.5:1 compression, he is finally ready to jump on some boost and we are trying to decide which blower to go with.

The reason we are going blower is just because the engine is already got a nice exhaust and such on it, adding a accessory drive supercharger is just easier than going turbo.

So we are torn between the YSi V-7 of some kind or a F1R possibly.

We want to keep the alternator on the car and a power steering pump as well.

Engine is currently using 225 Hi ports and its a completely forged setup we would like to run on pump gas and E85 as times.

Car currently has a Holley HP EFI installed and runs wonderfully.

We are just looking for some guidance here on where to start. Not sure if we want to go with driver or passenger mount, bracket options, and intercooler options. We want to run a standard front mount intercooler.
Hard to beat the YSI compact package and price. Makes for a very clean install with all the factory accessories. The F1r will make more power though however I do believe you can get a billet wheel upgrade in the YSI now. Also, Auto Specialties in Houston makes the standard and 50mm cog setup for the Vortech blowers. I want to say the standard cog setup runs around $600 or so.

I built a 11.5:1 R headed Dart 363" about ten years ago with a regular YS on it. At 15 psi made 900 rwhp with a pro-shifted Tremec 5 speed. It was in a gutted 2600lb Fox GT that we street raced back then. It was a wild ride to say the least >:)

·
Registered
252 Posts
F1r fan here and I went through the same back and forth battle of Vortec/pro charger like you are. I went with Pro-charger for 2 reasons. Some may think it's silly but I really don't care.

1. Aesthetics and design. Pro Chargers brackets are very well designed and look killer IMHO. Also, Vortec doesn't make a bracket, to my knowledge, for a 9.5 deck motor at all much less on the drivers side of the car. Yes I know, people have modded the 8.2 deck Vortec brackets to make them work for a 9.5 but they just don't look as good to me. Just my .02. Plus I wanted drivers side to make inter cooler pipe routing a bit easier.

2. Cost. Yeap I said cost. There are GREAT deals to be had but it requires patience. If you're wanting to go racing this weekend, then this route isn't for you. I bought my blower kit, yes polished brackets included, for $2400. Everything is ready to go. A lot of folks are dumping blowers for cheap left and right, wanting to upgrade to turbos. Personally for a street car, this will meet all of power goals.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

·
Registered
316 Posts
Does anyone know if Vortech make a bracket for the YSi on a 9.5 deck?
Driverside vortech bracket or for that matter peocharger driverside all fit 302 or 351 base. The mount bolts to the cylinder head and thats it.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Does anyone know if Vortech make a bracket for the YSi on a 9.5 deck?
Last time I checked Vortech did NOT make a bracket for a 9.5 deck. Their 8.2 deck will work WITH modifications.

I agree with the guy above about procharger bolting to the cylinder head so 8.2 bracket should work for 9.5 deck. I will say a different bracket is required from pro charger when running a cog belt, as well as different pullies based off of what bracket you are using. It tends to get pretty particular, so if you're buying a used kit, get all part numbers and verify everything before buying.

Good luck man!

·
Registered
599 Posts
The standard Windsor (302) kit works great on 9.5. Make sure you get the Anderson Mondo pipe and blow off setup. I believe Anderson still sells these kits.

The only thing you will to do is chop and add a piece in the inlet pipe to make the larger curve to the TB.

Here is the kit you need

Anderson-Vortech Stage I YSi-Trim Supercharger Kit Passenger Side Mount. Fits 86-93 5.0L Mustang - Anderson Ford Motorsport

Here is the cog setup you need from ASP. Makes for a really sweet setup. The sound of a Vortech with this cog on it will make everyone stop to see what the hell is coming down the road, lol. Not mention you can easily run high 8s with this blower in a Fox Coupe.

http://autospecialties.com/cog.html

·
Registered
599 Posts
Here is a video and the only pic ( only one I have) of a 393" AFR 205s Rbox 9.5 deck YSI motor I built for a good friend for his full size 4800lb pickup truck. I built 3.5" full exhaust all the way to the back bumper. It was a real sleeper with bench seat and column shift. Made 800ish real wheel HP through a C6. Had stock wheels and tires with drag radials. He got it to run some mid 6s in the 1/8. He's building a nasty 9.5 for it now with a 106 on it.

http://vid224.photobucket.com/albums/dd206/mschlitzkus/16AE73AA-3CDE-4850-8C80-C1A7B055380E_zpsj32ifzhp.mp4

·
Registered
41 Posts
So if i was to dump my turbo project on my 8.2 deck to go Blower, what one do you think would make 1200 hp? I am using E85 and I am BT carb. I have heard stories of belt slip being a big problem. This car will be 75 percent strip, 25 percent for street. Some events want you to drive mileage to prove street car etc. Looking for suggestion and any advice thanks

·
Registered
847 Posts
So if i was to dump my turbo project on my 8.2 deck to go Blower, what one do you think would make 1200 hp? I am using E85 and I am BT carb. I have heard stories of belt slip being a big problem. This car will be 75 percent strip, 25 percent for street. Some events want you to drive mileage to prove street car etc. Looking for suggestion and any advice thanks
get the procharger f1x

·
Registered
599 Posts
The most I have ever seen a YSI make is 900 to the tire. I have heard of them making a 1000. There is no belt slip with a cog just belt problems the more power you make. You can upgrade to 50mm cog belt but it's like $1500.
For the price hard to beat the YSI kit.
Prochargers are the best no doubt and they're also the most expensive.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Can the YSI make 1200 HP? I need to dip into the 4s with a 2800 pound car

1 - 20 of 30 Posts