Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been thinking about going NA with a 408w instead of my 306 H/C/I single turbo setup. Car is full street trim 93' gt with a 5 speed that goes to the track couple times a year. Never went with a 351, just 302/347 combos. 408 would have afr205's, 10:1 comp, trick flow r intake and custom roller street cam. With driving it on the street daily, I would think the torque of the 408w would be fun. Just curious if anyone thinks it would be worth swapping it over. Not looking to compare peak hp, just fun factor on the street. Thanks

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
N/A combos are fun. Brutal, unrefined power at a tap of the pedal. But I've been getting old for 10 years. The cam gets old daily along with the gearing to make the combo work. Quiet and a big god damn stick is why I don't do anything else other than turbo anymore.

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
H/C/I 306 will be cheaper, be more streetable, and probably make more power

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm definitely not as young as I used to be and for some reason I always forget about how some of the stroker cams get a little old driving everyday. I think I will stick with the turbo setup and maybe just upgrade the block to get more power if needed. Thanks for your opinions.

·
Registered
648 Posts
I would skip the 302 and go with the 408 like you stated, but I would drop the comp down some more. That way when you get the need for more power later on( and you will). You'll be able to just bolt on boost.

·
Registered
994 Posts
I have a buddy with an N/A 427 stroker '94 Cobra and I have a turbo 302 Fox. Performance wise, they are very close at the track. Here's the main differences I've noticed driving the two back to back. His car is much more fun on the street. It has instant torque and makes awesome sounds. However, the huge cam and loud exhaust wear on you. Especially compared to my car. Mine drives like a stock Fox, until the boost hits. It's quiet and very stealthy. There's no hiding the 427. If it's not your DD, you may be happier with a bigger N/A motor. If it's your DD, go turbo.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Your cam will dictate how well the street manners are. My 408 drives excellent and I can lug it down to 1500 rpms with no bucking at all. It has 10.1 compression and makes 479hp/503tq to the ground. I'm happy with it.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Your cam will dictate how well the street manners are. My 408 drives excellent and I can lug it down to 1500 rpms with no bucking at all. It has 10.1 compression and makes 479hp/503tq to the ground. I'm happy with it.
Yup..an aluminum headed 408 can make great street power,get decent mileage & weigh about the same as a 302 combo(when you add in the weight of a S/C or Turbo). Cam/compression choice/final gearing choices dictate the liveability of it. An aluminum headed 408(mild cam/compression) with a 150 shot of gas on it will give all but the wildest 347/turbo or S/C cars a run for their money:leghump.Gas mileage goes to the power-adder 302 combo though.. Sleepr71

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Yup..an aluminum headed 408 can make great street power,get decent mileage & weigh about the same as a 302 combo(when you add in the weight of a S/C or Turbo). Cam/compression choice/final gearing choices dictate the liveability of it. An aluminum headed 408(mild cam/compression) with a 150 shot of gas on it will give all but the wildest 347/turbo or S/C cars a run for their money:leghump.Gas mileage goes to the power-adder 302 combo though.. Sleepr71
there are not many mild 408W on 150 shot that will hang with a 700+RW turbo car...I have two friends plus myself who are over 800RW with very streetable blown combos...a 408W on a 150 would need over 600RW on motor alone...that better be a stout windsor..cause it's getting walked hard by a widly blown combo ...

·
Registered
3,095 Posts

I've had both and no way I would trade my turbo combo for a 9.5" N/A combo.

I'm not trying to down your combo in any way, it makes good power, but my stock bottom end car with a stock cam and all the driveability that goes with it, makes 50 more RWHP than your 408.

Until you get into boost you can not tell my car from a stone stock 95 GT by the way it drives.

·
Registered
124 Posts
While I miss the cammed idle there's no way I'd go back to n/a on any car in my future. Boost is addicting and sometimes frustrating as hell.....but in the end forced induction wins especially turbo setups.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
I've had both and no way I would trade my turbo combo for a 9.5" N/A combo.

I'm not trying to down your combo in any way, it makes good power, but my stock bottom end car with a stock cam and all the driveability that goes with it, makes 50 more RWHP than your 408.

Until you get into boost you can not tell my car from a stone stock 95 GT by the way it drives.
I agree, boost is great. However I wanted a low maintenance combo that wouldn't give me headaches and made good power. Turbos can and will nickel and dime you to death. I just didn't want to deal with it.

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
I agree, boost is great. However I wanted a low maintenance combo that wouldn't give me headaches and made good power. Turbos can and will nickel and dime you to death. I just didn't want to deal with it.[/QUOTE

I agree with you there, they can nickel and time you to death if you're not careful.

And all motor is definitely simple.

I kinda miss my big motor when it comes to simplicity, or when you want to be seen/heard pulling into the cruise night........but only a little.:D

·
Registered
737 Posts
i second 408 with a turbo

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
turbo 408

1 - 19 of 19 Posts