Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought a 351w for my first engine build. I plan on building it as a 408 stroker. I know that trying to build something reliable and on a budget usually don’t go hand in hand which is why I’m here for advice. I’ve read through a lot of forums and can’t seem to pin down a good build to base off of. I plan on swapping this motor into a fox body after I complete it, my goals for the car are 500+ hp and I’m unsure about a power adder but I could see nitrous or a turbo in the future. Also the engine will be EFI. This would also be a weekend/fun car that only sees a few track days a year. I’m looking for advice on the entire build parts wise especially a stroker kit because I’m overwhelmed with all the options. I appreciate any advice!

·
Registered
289 Posts
If you're on a budget I wouldn't touch the bottom end of the engine unless you're planning on slowly building the engine over time. The rest of the advice is going to depend on how you want to reach your goal (forced induction, nitrous, naturally aspirated).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you're on a budget I wouldn't touch the bottom end of the engine unless you're planning on slowly building the engine over time. The rest of the advice is going to depend on how you want to reach your goal (forced induction, nitrous, naturally aspirated).
So I’m looking to do this slowly and I want to do it right the first time, I’m not opposed to forced induction I just have less experience with it

·
Registered
662 Posts
What does your budget look like?

·
Old timer
6,217 Posts
You have Jim Woods and Mark O'Neal on here.

Both sell 408 stroker kits.

Ask the people who actually do this for a living... :unsure:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You have Jim Woods and Mark O'Neal on here.

Both sell 408 stroker kits.

Ask the people who actually do this for a living... :unsure:
I had looked into the fordstrokers.com and website kit but there are quite a few options that are all fairly unfamiliar such as what piston choice would suit me best etc.

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
I had looked into the fordstrokers.com and website kit but there are quite a few options that are all fairly unfamiliar such as what piston choice would suit me best etc.
Reach out give Jim a call.

Reactions: Mikes85&99

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'll also say reach out ang give Jim a call. He will talk you through your options and couldn't be a nicer guy to deal with.
Thanks, I definitely will give him a call. That should take care of my rotating assembly, any opinions on heads, intake, cam, injector, rails, or tb?

·
Registered
1985 Mustang
146 Posts
For 4k-5k I don't think you're going to get the block machined, buy a rotating assembly, heads cam intake etc. If that is your budget and the 351 you have right now is in good enough shape I would say bluemp301 has the right approach.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
dont fall into bubba's new bait. these questions are so new that they can't possibly be real. all this information is and has been easily accessible for years. I smell another bubba.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
For 4k-5k I don't think you're going to get the block machined, buy a rotating assembly, heads cam intake etc. If that is your budget and the 351 you have right now is in good enough shape I would say bluemp301 has the right approach.
4-5k is a rough guess not a dead set number, just trying to get an idea on other peoples builds. The 351 needs a new rotating assembly anyway so I figured why not build it how I want it. I’m also trying to pick up some second hand parts where I can to save a little money, just trying to get an idea of what I should be looking for.

·
Registered
258 Posts
On a budget I’d keep the displacement stock and find a good stock replacement for the rotating assembly. Then put all your money into the top end. Top ends tend to have more resale value too

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
On a budget I’d keep the displacement stock and find a good stock replacement for the rotating assembly. Then put all your money into the top end. Top ends tend to have more resale value too
My worry with sticking to stock displacement is that after the build is all said and done I’ll be left with a “that’s it???” feeling. This is why I wanted to go this route to hopefully avoid that.

·
Registered
289 Posts
The top of the engine is where the power is going to be made. A bigger displacement is helpful but not needed for your goal. Being realistic you're going to need to double your budget to properly build a 408 unless you come across an incredible deal.

If I were you I'd either put together a top end for the stock 351 or I would buy an on3 turbo kit and turbo the stock longblock. Keep in mind you still need supporting pieces such as an upgraded fuel system/drivetrain/engine management unless you have that covered.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The top of the engine is where the power is going to be made. A bigger displacement is helpful but not needed for your goal. Being realistic you're going to need to double your budget to properly build a 408 unless you come across an incredible deal.

If I were you I'd either put together a top end for the stock 351 or I would buy an on3 turbo kit and turbo the stock longblock. Keep in mind you still need supporting pieces such as an upgraded fuel system/drivetrain/engine management unless you have that covered.
What does a rough run down of that build engine look like, the supporting pieces are built in to my car budget

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
4-5k is a rough guess not a dead set number, just trying to get an idea on other peoples builds. The 351 needs a new rotating assembly anyway so I figured why not build it how I want it. I’m also trying to pick up some second hand parts where I can to save a little money, just trying to get an idea of what I should be looking for.
I just finished a long block 347, cast crank rotating assy.

Your number is a couple of grand off.....depending on what work you can do yourself at Bubba's House of Half-Assed Hot Rods.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts