Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
408 Nitrous guys come on in

Anybody out there with a 408 combo and a little juice? I'm working on one now 11.5:1, roush 200 heads 830 HP 4150 carb cold fusion fogger c4 & 3.73's Just wanted to get some ideas what you other guys were running with similar combos. I know the heads are gonna hurt me but they were on the project when I bought it so I'm gonna see how they do and then decide if I'm gonna change them out.

So post up a little about your combo, your times and how big a shot you are running.

Thanks

·
Registered
410 Posts
I have a 408 w/ ARF-225's, 12.5:1, good size mechanical roller cam, and a 200hp shot out of a Cheater kit. On motor it made 660hp, no spray yet, car is still going back together. Also have a TH350, with 4.10's.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a 408 w/ ARF-225's, 12.5:1, good size mechanical roller cam, and a 200hp shot out of a Cheater kit. On motor it made 660hp, no spray yet, car is still going back together. Also have a TH350, with 4.10's.
Great numbers! I have a solid roller .609 lift. I'm really afraid my heads are gonna put my motor numbers in the 400's and they really should be in the 5's. I thought about ditching the 200's for some afr's but the large valves may not clear without having to tear the motor apart and notch the pistons.

·
Registered
410 Posts
The lift on my cam is 672 intake and 694 exhaust, I had to cut .060 out of the intake valve side for clearance, I actually have the same carb as you, 830

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I'm sure I have enough carb then if it's working for you. lol
you get any motor runs on it before having it back apart?

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok, keep me posted. Mine won't be done for a couple months, maybe more. Time and Money, I never have enough of either!

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
gotta be more than 1???

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
i run a 410 stock block with tfs highports,solid cam,pro sys carb,super vic..im in tuning and testing stages still but its run a [email protected] n/a and on only a 150 shot its been [email protected] tuning and me just driving it harder im certain it will drop 1-2 tenths and then with the 250 shot should net me close to the 9.20's and im sitting right at 10.8.1

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i run a 410 stock block with tfs highports,solid cam,pro sys carb,super vic..im in tuning and testing stages still but its run a [email protected] n/a and on only a 150 shot its been [email protected] tuning and me just driving it harder im certain it will drop 1-2 tenths and then with the 250 shot should net me close to the 9.20's and im sitting right at 10.8.1
very nice! That's close to where I want to be on motor. I'm shooting for lower than 10.50's. My last motor ran 10.50's @ 10.0:1 with vic jr heads on a 393 stock block under .600 lift flat tappet cam. Not sure how bad the heads are gonna hurt me though. I'm hoping the compression (11.5:1) will make up some of what the heads are losing. How big a cam are you running? What size is the carb?

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
408W here, stock block Eagle guts with 10.2:1 compression. AFR 205's , FTI solid roller and a had both a C4 and 'glide behind it.

When I had the 4.10's and C4 with the loose 8" converter the car ran 10.30's @ 131 at 3250lbs. Put on the nitrous and 3.73's broke the converter and eventually the C4 running 9.70's on a 100 shot.

Swapped to a 'glide, slowed the car down a bit N/A running 10.50-10.60 at 128-129 but on the bottle it's gone 9.40's @ 143 blowing through the converter on a 200 shot. It's gone bottom 9.50's @ 141 on a safe 150 shot tune up. Recently gone into the 9.80's @ 137 on a 50 shot but I did go to a 4.30 gear and a 29.5" drag radial with a tightened up converter. I haven't run it since but would love to see what it'd do not overpowering the converter but......

....after 6 years of abuse I broke the stock block. Haven't got it torn down yet but the right front corner is busted and the oil pressure is down so I'm pretty certain it's into the main area.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's the kind of numbers I'm shooting for. I'd like to get down to 10.20-10.30 on motor and then turn on the fogger and enjoy the ride into the single digits. Can't really complain about the block letting go after 6 years running those numbers, I'd say that you got your money's worth. Some of my father in law's buddies have been trying to convince me to go powerglide and swear that I will run faster but I see that it slowed you down. You have to notch your pistons for those AFR valves? Couldn't remember if the 205 had the same huge valve as the 225.

·
Registered
716 Posts
A buddy of mine had one with 225s, victor intake, biggest doug herbert solid roller nitrous cam, a glide with a b&m nitrous holeshot converter. It went 5.50s in the 1/8 on 400.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
very nice! That's close to where I want to be on motor. I'm shooting for lower than 10.50's. My last motor ran 10.50's @ 10.0:1 with vic jr heads on a 393 stock block under .600 lift flat tappet cam. Not sure how bad the heads are gonna hurt me though. I'm hoping the compression (11.5:1) will make up some of what the heads are losing. How big a cam are you running? What size is the carb?
my engine combo was done for 445+ cubes in mind but i through it on this 410 for now, the carb is a 1000 pro systems deal, the car will/should go 10.30's n/a and 9.20's or better on this 410...i like to take one step at a time... but this car was built for spray, so for it to run that on motor its deffently a beast, my converter is tight as a ducks ass, 3.73 with a 28 tire its lazy lol off the gas

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
A buddy of mine had one with 225s, victor intake, biggest doug herbert solid roller nitrous cam, a glide with a b&m nitrous holeshot converter. It went 5.50s in the 1/8 on 400.
I would kill to run that number! I'm pretty sure my motor could handle that shot but lenny said the converter should only be hit with a 300 shot so that's probably the highest I'll go.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
my engine combo was done for 445+ cubes in mind but i through it on this 410 for now, the carb is a 1000 pro systems deal, the car will/should go 10.30's n/a and 9.20's or better on this 410...i like to take one step at a time... but this car was built for spray, so for it to run that on motor its deffently a beast, my converter is tight as a ducks ass, 3.73 with a 28 tire its lazy lol off the gas
Sounds like an awesome ride. Love to see some pics of it and a vid at the track if you have any. My converter is a 9.5 inch 4500 stall. Probably should've went lower on stall for the bottle but will likely run more motor runs than bottle runs so went ahead and went with the 4500. It's was built by Lenny and I got a good deal so went ahead and jumped on it. I've heard nothing but good things about the pro-systems carbs. I'm likely going with a dominator Alky set up though. The Holly was already on it and I will keep it for if I want to go back to gas. Does pro-systems make a good alky carb?

·
Registered
457 Posts
i figured id squeeze in here as im looking for info too... heres my build

69 block studded girdled half filled
vic jr cnc
super victor351
solid roller 680+/680+
nx gemini twin-edel plate 2 stage
glide 5500 nitrous conv.
31.-10.5-15
13:8:1
pro systems 950hp carb

street race car, looking to go high 9s on motor 150shot first kit 250 second.. what do u think

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
Can't really complain about the block letting go after 6 years running those numbers, I'd say that you got your money's worth. Some of my father in law's buddies have been trying to convince me to go powerglide and swear that I will run faster but I see that it slowed you down. You have to notch your pistons for those AFR valves? Couldn't remember if the 205 had the same huge valve as the 225.
Nope, I'm not too upset about busting up the block, it was the eventual goal so that's been achieved. I have a solid 1972 351W short block going in to finish up the year and then I'll likely use that stronger earlier block to rebuild the 408 if I can't swing a Dart/FRPP block. I pulled it today, I broke it good. Split #1 main cap, broke from cap mounting surface to the #1 main and out to the edge of the block. I pulled a huge chunk of cast iron out by hand after pulling 1 main stud. It's junk LOL!

Honestly I've had both the C4 and 'glide. For durability and on the bottle performance the 2 speed kills the C4. Sure the converter is tighter and it doesn't have the N/A ET anymore but on the spray the C4 can't touch it. 3 years on the 'glide now and it's been flawless. C4 had to be gone though a couple times and I ended up shattering a hardened input shaft and screwing up a $900 converter. It sits broken in the garage, 3 speeds have their place but a big inch stroker on spray, I'd never go back to one. The 'glide just gets it done well.

The AFR 205's have a big 2.08" valve in it. I never had to cut addition clearance in the pistons, my SRP's had plenty of valve relief in them with more then enough room to spare even with a .688" lift cam.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts