Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone use this lift CHAMPION AUTO LIFT . COM . Looking at there ss8000xlt . What does everyone else use . Thanks

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I use a pair of floor jacks and jack stands, sometimes drive-on ramps...:D
Been doing the lay on my back for to many years time to move on to a lift much faster and easier on the body .

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
four post is going to really limit what you can do.
Since when . The rails only add about 4 inchs to the height of your car . Have you ever seen a Sliding Bridge Jack it fits between the rails yeah adds about 550.00 to your total but works like a floor jack and you can but just a try to add your own jack stand to keep the car up for when you car wont have wheels for an extended time and thats about the only time you need the tires off the ground .
Links for everyone to see . Also I hate 2 post lifs as I sure dont want to get on my knees to place the arms as my knees wont like me and 4 posts to me are way more stable and dont have to be bolted to the floor . Hoping this will answer any other questions LOL .4 Post Car Lifts Jack Pro-Jack Derek Weaver Co., Inc.

Eagle Equipment four post lift GL 7000 - CCDV Message Board

·
Registered
53 Posts
Each type lift has pros and cons.

I prefer a 2 post, as you can do more with it, the runners are not in your way all the time. Yes, you have to get down on your knees and position the arms on a 2 post, but once in position and secure, they are not nearly as much in the way of things as the runners on a 4 post. I plan on getting a 2 post soon, the sooner the better. I'm getting older and all the years wrenching take the toll on the body. Aches, pains, can't do half of what I could 20 years ago without having to stop and stretch or whatever. I use a 2 post AND a 4 post at work, and the only good thing about a 4 post is that I can lift a vehicle and park another one under it, and that is it's ONLY use, IMO. The 2 post was being used recently and I needed to do some work under a vehicle, in the middle (diff and drive shaft work on a UTV), so I had to use the 4 poster. Kept hitting my head on the runners, they were constantly in the way, had to use floor jacks to lift the wheels off of the runners (and jackstands), etc etc. But when 530 rolled around I just left it in the air and parked another one under it. We keep everything inside at night to keep the honest thieves from getting any ideas.

If you'll go to most automotive repair facilities, you won't find that many 4 post lifts, and for good reason. Alignments can be done on a 4 post but not on a 2 post.

The 4 post with the sliding jack is slick but the runners are still in the way, then you have the cross members between them. Try to pull a transmission with a 4 post sometime. You'll find yourself fighting it a lot more than you should. Is it better than nothing? Absolutely. But a 2 post is even better than the 4 post. IMO, having used both types, I can't find myself letting go of the money on a 4 post knowing that sooner or later I'll be wanting to badmouth it, then I'll be wanting to sell it, and figure since a 4 post isn't as common and as useful for "most" work, it won't fetch the resale that a 2 post would, so I'll lose money. I can't afford to lose much since I don't have much to spend. I'm one of those guys who is lucky (fortunate/blessed) to have a roof to work under. I used to have to work in the dirt in the cold or rain (or MUD), so just having concrete is NICE. And a roof? I'm in heaven....

·
Registered
243 Posts
sorry, just trying to help. i was part owner of a professional shop and the four post set idle. your goals and needs may be different.

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
sorry, just trying to help. i was part owner of a professional shop and the four post set idle. your goals and needs may be different.
The lift is for my personal use I am sure the 2 post work better overall for a shop .

·
Registered
123 Posts
I use a maxxjaxx, which I find to be awesome. I am just teaching myself how to do big jobs, but with this lift was able to do a tranny swap from FMX to TKO600 on the 73 mustang with no issues whatsoever. You don't get the height that you would with a normal two post, but no issue on a rolling chair being under the car, and my ebay tranny jack fits under just fine, as well as my jumbo oil drain barrel, also a cheapie from ebay. Maxxjaxx is pretty cheap too, at Costco. I have lifted a civic, 73 mustang, fox mustang, my gt500, friends trailblazer, and an Xterra with no issues.

Attachments

·
Registered
55 Posts
I've had an Eagle Industries SS6000 since 1999, and it's the best single purchase I ever made for my garage. It's a 4-post lift with sliding, removable jack trays. I've removed transmissions, exhaust systems, suspension, etc. on it. And, as a plus, it's also great for storage. My 93 SVT Cobra sits on the top bunk, my 15 Ecoboost convertible underneath it and my 20th Anniversary convertible sits next to it.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I just installed a Derek Weaver 9k 2post lift. Very verry verry happy.

[URL=http://s16.photobucket.com/user/stpet291/media/2016

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
I use a maxxjaxx, which I find to be awesome. I am just teaching myself how to do big jobs, but with this lift was able to do a tranny swap from FMX to TKO600 on the 73 mustang with no issues whatsoever. You don't get the height that you would with a normal two post, but no issue on a rolling chair being under the car, and my ebay tranny jack fits under just fine, as well as my jumbo oil drain barrel, also a cheapie from ebay. Maxxjaxx is pretty cheap too, at Costco. I have lifted a civic, 73 mustang, fox mustang, my gt500, friends trailblazer, and an Xterra with no issues.
This is something that I am interested in as well, the maxxjaxx. I like the idea of sitting in my little roll around chair and working underneath. I also like the idea of the lift being somewhat portable in case I need to work something bigger, which in my little shop, is fairly often. I have a tractor in there now, ain't no way it'll lift up any more than a few inches with my puny 9' ceiling height. The ROPS almost hits now. Last week I had a flat bottom boat in there. Monday I'm expecting another boat, a duck boat, nothing big....and I have a few lawn tractors from the neighbors that will be here next week as well. So yes, I like the idea of being able to move the lift out of the way when needed. Saw these exact same descriptions of the maxxjaxx on garage journal. How high will it lift? I did not see the lift height, or looked past it. I don't plan on lifting the truck with it (too tall, don't need a jack anyway to do most anything I need-and it's heavy), just the 2 Mustangs and maybe occasionall my little tractor that is under 3000 lbs. If I can get the bottom of the Mustang roughly 4 to 4 1/2 feet up, that would be fine with me; just roll around underneath in my repurposed computer chair. With my back and legs, reaching up while standing is getting tough. All the years of heavy lifting have taken their toll.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I really like my two post Rotary. The days of working on my back are gone. Also one of best purchases I've made.

·
Registered
10,009 Posts
My wife already knows that a lift will be part of the build for our next house.

I like lowered vehicles so I'll have to figure out the best lift to deal with a car that won't get on most lifts without some kind of assistance.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
How does the maxjax work? It doesn't look very supported as its not bolted to the ground and there is no overhead crossbar....?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts