Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at a reef blue coupe with black interior for sale. Only issue is that the car was a 4 cylinder converted to a v8. The interior was changed I guess to a v8 interior that seems to be in good shape. It is fuel injected with a 306, heads, cam etc. My question is, how much does it hurt the value that it was a 4 cyl. It is an original teal car. Thanks

·
Registered
840 Posts
Teal was a 1993 Cobra only color. Are you thinking Calypso or maybe reef blue?

Reef blue:

Calypso:

As far as value, I'd look over the car and base it off the car as a whole. If it's not stock any more, then I don't think it would effect the value much if the car is well put together with all the V8 stuff. Who cares what it was, look at what it is.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Looking at the engine bay picture, the car looks very well put together. From what i can see in the picture the V8 conversion was done correctly. I'm in the middle of a v8 conversion right now, but mine is so far from stock it's hard to tell what's what.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for your input stew. much appreciated. Any idea on what value you would put on this car?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I was wondering the same thing. I'm picking up a 89 4 cyl tomorrow and plan on doing a v8 conversion. But I'll be going 351w and carbed.

·
Super Moderator
27,649 Posts
IMHO, at this point in the depreciation curves, where most of the value of the car is in its modifications, it really doesn't matter that it used to be a 4-cyl. It looks like a solidly equipped car with 5-lug conversion, which if it's an SN95 conversion and not janky fox/ranger/lincoln stuff, so much the better. If it has V8 trans, V8 swaybars and V8 brakes, then really, WTF is left in it that was ever 4-cyl parts? Look at the floorpan under the seats and at the upper and lower torque boxes in the rear for cracks, look for crash damage, and if it's all good and it's got what you want out of a notchback foxbody, don't sweat the 4-cyl history. Might even help your insurance rates ;)

edit: Did that color ever come on 4-cyl cars?

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Two cars being equal, one a factory V8 the other a factory I4 converted to OEM level of completeness, the factory V8 car is worth more money. Has always been that way. Will always be that way.

BUT.....the more modified the car is the less that difference will be. At this point in the Foxbody history, a factory V8 car is probably only worth a couple hundred more than a nice swapped V8 car.

And let's be honest, a crap ton of factory V8 cars were beaten into the ground and lost to use. The I4 cars, no matter how beaten wouldn't be as abused as a V8 car. The number of good cars left is dwindling, regardless of what they left the factory with under the hood.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts