Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay what is the consensus of these motors for performance, if you look at them they look huge campared to a 289 which is larger in cubes.I see on this site where it seems alot of people are blowing these motors up and they are relatively new.Can these motors take abuse or not?Is the only longevity to stay stock?Also if ford doesn't want to back up warranties on motors with some aftermarket parts that is ridicules,anyone could go out and beat the hell out of a stock one blow and get it fixed,but if you add an exhaust for sound or cold air induction they say noway come on ford back up your product.Don't miss understand me if someone goes out puts a blower on and puts 14psi of boost to these motors and tears the motor to hell than don,t expect a new motor on ford. I plan on putting an eaton on mine but I will keep it at 6psi. :evil:

·
Registered
189 Posts
Yes, it's true that these motors are fragile, but only with major mods and not tuned correctly. As long as everything is tuned right, they can handle tons of abuse. Mine might still be NA'd, but I bought it with 30k on the clock two years ago, done some bolt-ons (as far as I can go without going in 4 digits/purchase), and raced the car (drag, autox and open track) since the day I took delivery. It now has 76k, and still runs extreamly strong.

·
Registered
15 Posts
if you beat the piss out of any car, something is eventually going to go wrong..period.

but if you want to know the HP potential of the new mod motors, Ive been told the following:

the 4.6 2V is good till about 400 HP without a major rebuld
the 4,6 4v is good to about 500 HP without a major rebuild

its recommended not to go over those figures without a major rebuild

ALso, be careful if you plan on more than 6 psi of forced induction.

btw..im waiting for my kenne bell kit for my 01 Cobra..should be out soon...im only planning on 6 psi.

·
Registered
39 Posts
SVTNICK said:
if you beat the piss out of any car, something is eventually going to go wrong..period.

but if you want to know the HP potential of the new mod motors, Ive been told the following:

the 4.6 2V is good till about 400 HP without a major rebuld
the 4,6 4v is good to about 500 HP without a major rebuild

its recommended not to go over those figures without a major rebuild

ALso, be careful if you plan on more than 6 psi of forced induction.

btw..im waiting for my kenne bell kit for my 01 Cobra..should be out soon...im only planning on 6 psi.
:rolleyes:

·
Registered
15 Posts
kenne bell is currently working on a system for the 99-01..i talked to them last week..said should be out soon..i got my name on the mailing list for when the info is released.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts