Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, my diff is whining and howling bad. I suspect the place that installed my 4.30's didn't set them up right. I heat cycled them and broke them in as advised. They whine so bad that some guy thought I had a gear drive timing setup (until I told him it was a 4.6:D).

I'm also going to rebuild the rear end completely. Is there an all-inclusive parts kit that has everything I need (all bearings, clutch packs, etc)? I think the Ford trac-lok rebuild kit only comes with the clutch packs.

I figured, might as well get steeper gears while I'm replacing them:D. The 4.30's are only a shade lower than the 4.56's so I figure I can deal with 200 extra RPM's at 75 MPH;).

TIA,
Johnny V.

·
Registered
478 Posts
If you can, get the Timken Bearing Kit.. They are the best.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
zak97Cobra,
What kind of RWHP and RWTQ are you making? I'm shooting to run in the same ET range as you with the 4.56's and my mods. I made 290 RWHP and 284 RWTQ last weekend but I've still got pullies I haven't installed yet:D. My best before I did LT's, Densecharger, Al. flywheel, and TKO setup was 13.30 @ 105.4 with a 2.09 60'. I'm hoping to crack the 12's with the new setup.

BTW, with the 4.30's I'm seeing around 21 mpg highway and 13-17 city (not driving for mileage here, driving for fun;))

Thanks,
Johnny V.

·
Registered
751 Posts
:eek: that is some major gear....age!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOW!!!!! That is a lot for a wide gear ratio automatic, let alone a 5-speed. Do you use 1st???? :D

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I still use first. You have to shift fast though. Sometimes I start in second when I'm lazy though:D. If you want an NA Cobra to go fast you can't fear the gear;).

-Johnny V.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
ArcticSnake'98 said:
zak97Cobra,
What kind of RWHP and RWTQ are you making? I'm shooting to run in the same ET range as you with the 4.56's and my mods. I made 290 RWHP and 284 RWTQ last weekend but I've still got pullies I haven't installed yet
Before my LTs I made 293RWHP and 298.6TQ. My best time was made before I changed to 4.56s and locker, since then I've run in the 12.7s with less than ideal weather. I think a tune and some subframes will help as my 60's are off by about 0.1s.

·
Corral Charter Member
2,018 Posts
I still get decent mileage with my 4.56's. 22-24 mpg @ 70 mph on the highway, and 18-19 going back and forth to work (60/40 highway/city). And I use 1st gear all the time. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts