Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know every set up is different and things can change with mod swaps but im asking for opinions or experiences, 4.10s or 4.30s? The car is an 88 GT T5will have: underdrive pulleys, long tubes with dumps, no a/c, ps, or smog, battery relocated to trunk, GT40Ps matched to a 1262, GT40P intake, solid motor mounts. No interior except for dash and console, the tires will be skinnies in the front and MT ET Street radials 275/50/15(26 inch tires) on a 15x8. The car will sport a mini spool and i will be replacing all the differential bearings. I am just wondering if the 4.30s will put me out of my power band quickly or will it be manageable on the street and strip. She'll probably see some street but no long trips and the occassional 1320 blasts. I will more than likely spray the car but not anytime soon. It is a speed density car but will probably run a tfs 1 cam with mass air conversion in the distant future. Please give me your opinions and explain. thanks for the help, Sam. :salute:

p.s. i am sorry for all the reading, just want to be thorough the first time around.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
forgot to mention i tired searching but it kept showing everyone's setup or for sale/wtb. thanks.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Well from experience, we now run 4.30's. I run NMRA Factory Stock, I had P-heads on the car, now have regulat 40's w/cobra intake. comp cam with .480 lift. (max the rules allow). 310ci, long tubes, on a radial, TKOII with 5th removed. 70mm TB, 80mm mass air, anderson power pipe, 30lb injectors. Hope this helps, alot of it will depend on when you get on the track and see what your comiong through at.

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
I have a simillar set up as you with 4.10's and i kinda wish i had .30's or even .56's. the car feels almost like driving a stock (geared) car around town, no highway driving for me though, gotta stock '03 for that.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i have been debating for a while. i would love to go radical with this car and i think 4.30s are the way to go. i appreciate all your help and just like you mentioned john, it will depend on track time and then decide from there. thanks again, sam.

·
Registered
351 Posts
If it is going to be mainly a track car and stay N/A I would go with the 4.30's. If you are going to spray it maybe the 4.10's.

Hey John, why the switch from P's to regular GT40's? Just curious becuase I have a budget F/S car and I went with the P heads. If you don't want to divulge over the internet you can PM me if you want.

Ken

·
Registered
132 Posts
We found that the regular GT40's flowed alittle better, and also more widely available exhaust for the regular 40's. With our f/s rules you cant have custom exhaust, so you only have shorty headers for P-heads. So will you be racing Factory Stock with us?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
how do you all run such wonderful times? weight reduction? any secrets us regular "joes" can know?

·
Registered
351 Posts
We found that the regular GT40's flowed alittle better, and also more widely available exhaust for the regular 40's. With our f/s rules you cant have custom exhaust, so you only have shorty headers for P-heads. So will you be racing Factory Stock with us?
Yeah I am stuck with the shorty headers! Probably won't be racing any NMRA events. I built the motor a few years ago and was racing a local F/S circut with the hopes of making 1 or 2 NMRA races but that didn't happen...too much $$$! The short blocks in your cars are probably double what I have into my whole motor! Now with a 2 year old, house and another on the way so just local stuff for me! Maybe someday! Still trying to get into the 11's with the same cam that it rolled off the assembly line with! I'm stubborn! Just make sure you guys keep giving me some good reading on stangcrazy! I don't chime in over there............I'm not a racer in that series so I keep my mouth shut!

Good luck in C-Bus & congrats on your recent success!!! all you guys got screwed in Atco!!!

Ken D.

·
Registered
351 Posts
how do you all run such wonderful times? weight reduction? any secrets us regular "joes" can know?

Sorry for hi-jacking your thread!

I'ts about the whole combination and lots of seat time! Plus light weight internals & shaved heads help too! My car still weighs 3200 with me in it! I can definetly afford to lose 100-200lbs.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
On the spray a 4.10 is probably the most gear you will want as it will probably see over 62-6300 RPMs at the traps. If you stay all motor you need the 4.30s. I am switching to a 4.30 from a 4.10.

·
Registered
132 Posts
My car will run the same in any air. And yes there is "alittle" bit o money in my block..lol, I didnt get screwed in NJ, it helps me out..hahahahaanyways if you have anymore questions just ask

·
Registered
132 Posts
It probably would, when we were in georgia and it was 90 something with 80% humidity it ran its best ever. My engine just stays the same, which is bad in a wa y cuz when we went to tune it, nothing changed. When we had a D/A of 3400ft it still went low 40's.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
I find that hard to believe even Pro Stock and TF cars run different when its hot or the DA is high.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Im just saying either 60 degree air or 90 degree air the car still runs good. Thats all, not saying you guys are wrong about it, cuz I know good air will help the car run better.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Im just saying either 60 degree air or 90 degree air the car still runs good. Thats all, not saying you guys are wrong about it, cuz I know good air will help the car run better.
So your not saying it runs the exact same times, just stays consistent all weekend. I am with you now!:salute:

·
Registered
613 Posts
My car will run the same in any air. And yes there is "alittle" bit o money in my block..lol, I didnt get screwed in NJ, it helps me out..hahahahaanyways if you have anymore questions just ask

hahaha, yeah I got screwed. :mad:

1 - 20 of 49 Posts