Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had 4.30's installed and I love the torque it gave me. It is not too much gear at all for these cars. I also have a five spd and do alot of highway driving. Sure it lowers your top speed, but where can you go more than 120 anyway. I love them. It sure beats the hell out of those crappy 3.73's I had.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Another satified customer! :D

Bill

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
i was thinkin about doin this as well. is there any way to correct the speedo with 4.30's. also, what rpm are you guys goin through the traps at in the 1/4 mile and how tall of a slick are ya'll usin?

marcus

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
2cammer97 said:
i was thinkin about doin this as well. is there any way to correct the speedo with 4.30's. also, what rpm are you guys goin through the traps at in the 1/4 mile and how tall of a slick are ya'll usin?

marcus
Get a Dallas Mustang Speed Cal or an Abbott ERA...that'll fix your speedo...(if you have a stick)

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I don't know about the trap speed because I don't drag race. I got the gears to increase the fun factor of the car. FUN FACTOR = INCREASED TORQUE = 4.30's. As far as speed cal, I plan on going to UPR and have them burn me a chip on the dyno.

My other performance mods are going to include or already include: VRS x w/cats, magna pack cat-back, C&L 80mm MAF, Steeda pullies, UPR dyno tuned chip, Tri-AX, sub-frames, and FMS c springs.

My plan is to get as fun as possible N/A. and increase the torque to around 300.

Any other ideas? Remember N/A!

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
can they adjust for the 4.30's through my autologic chip? for the 3.73's i have now i just have the speedo gear with the correct number of teeth. my car is a five speed.

marcus

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Of corse, speedo calibrations can be done through chips. The question is I don't know how accurate it will be for 4.30's.

Mustang92: You are the reason I have went to this gear set. Thanks.... Do you reccomend building up the differential or adding an aluminum drive shaft. What do you use for speedo cal, If anything?

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
medik13 said:
Of corse, speedo calibrations can be done through chips. The question is I don't know how accurate it will be for 4.30's.

Mustang92: You are the reason I have went to this gear set. Thanks.... Do you reccomend building up the differential or adding an aluminum drive shaft. What do you use for speedo cal, If anything?
Stock differential should be fine if you don't plan on racing at the track on sticky tires, the aluminum driveshaft is always a good idea. I had the speed cal but broke it so I haven't had a chance to replace it.

Bill

·
Registered
410 Posts
I love my 4.30's, glad you like them too. Should put you through the traps around 5800rpms with a 26in tire. Maybe more for you Marcus since you have more HP, but you should be fine as long as your rev limiter is bumped up. I have 40+ 5800+rpm clutch dumps on slicks with stock clutch, axels and dif.

Robert

·
Registered
103 Posts
medik13 said:
I don't know about the trap speed because I don't drag race. I got the gears to increase the fun factor of the car. FUN FACTOR = INCREASED TORQUE = 4.30's. As far as speed cal, I plan on going to UPR and have them burn me a chip on the dyno.

Yeah, I wish I could put 4.30's in my car, but I am crossing the traps at almost 6000 now, so those are out of the question. Oh, by the way, gears don't give you any torque at all. I used to think the same thing a ways back. All they do is increase your acceleration by obviously spinning your wheels faster each gear. Some people actually say you lose a little torque with gears. Either way, my gears were hands down my best mod N/A.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi, I just had 430's installed and getting a whining type noise which is even louder with the seats down...bad install?

97 Black Cobra

Vortech S-trim
Vortech aftercooler (going in today)
430's
Steeda Tri-ax
Mac Progressive Lowering kit
BBK LT's (going in today)
BBK o/r H (going in today)
JMS chip
Walbro 255lph in-tank
Pierburg in-line
Cobra R hood
Auto Meter Gauges
Some other stuff

·
Registered
554 Posts
medik13 said:
Sure it lowers your top speed, but where can you go more than 120 anyway. I love them. It sure beats the hell out of those crappy 3.73's I had.
You didn't loose any top speed. With 4.30's 4th gear will redline at 125mph, at least it does with my car on the dyno. 5th gear will pull you well passed 155mph if you so desire it too. You have the ability to reach those speeds a little quicker now.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
8PSI97COBRA said:
Hi, I just had 430's installed and getting a whining type noise which is even louder with the seats down...bad install?

If your gears are whining, then Yes, they are installed poorly. Properly set gears do not whine, hiss, and moan. They are just as quiet as the stockers.

Have them re-do them soon, so you won't encounter any improper wear patterns.

joe

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Brandon00GT said:

A little off the subject.....

Bill....I see you finally got some fresh 1/4 times with that intake. Is there a dyno trip planned soon?
Unfortunately no, I have too many things I need to buy with that money I'm more than happy with my track numbers for now. I'll probably wait till I get some more work done before another dyno trip.

Bill

1 - 15 of 15 Posts