Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got the car back from SHM. I read all of your posts so I went with 4:30 gears. Just got back from a dyno day and I hit 508 RWHP (94 octane) my boost gauge read 6 psi (isn't that a little low for that much RWHP), my point is for a street car(daily driver) with over 500 rwhp I think 3:73 or 3:55 would be ideal. I have the six speed so highway driving is fine but in the city feels a little like a transport truck always shifting gears. First is nice and long second forget about it, it is over before the pedal hits the floor. So far very happy with the car, it kicks ass! Just my thoughts , love to hear your thoughts.

Ed

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Most folks with a 'charger seem to prefer 4.10's. With the n/a route, for me, 4.30's should be the gear from the factory.

·
Registered
9 Posts
JohnnyReb

How do you like your 4.30's? I'm ordering gears for an automatic in two weeks. I'm planning on 4.10 but I have never had someone say that 4.30 should come from the factory.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Re: JohnnyReb

BurlyStang said:
I have never had someone say that 4.30 should come from the factory.
And it's very likely that you won't hear that often, if at all, in regards to a GT. Try a search, you'll find literally thousands of gear opinions...of course, they vary massively.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
I wouldn't want 4.30's in a GT or an automatic either. The DOHC cobra's have NO bottom end and all the power is in the upper (6,000 rpm+) power band. That's why you need steep gears in a DOHC - to keep it operating in the optimum rpm range. Also, we have that tall fifth gear that we can cruise in on the highway. However, the SOHC's do not operate in the same rpm range and, thus, do not need as low a gear.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I hate to say it, but I wish in retrospect I'd followed my gut and bought 3.73s. 80 MPH on the interstate gets annoying with 4.10s.

OK, I'll go cower now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts