Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently picked up a 95' cobra and from what the seller says, it has 3.73 gears in it. I cant tell for sure but, I can almost come to a complete stop and the car doesnt even bog down while in first gear. I dont have anything to compare it to but is does seem to have a lower than normal gear ratio. My question is though, should I opt for 4.10's? This car is for weekend use only and just to have fun in. I dont care about MPG . Also I would like to take it to the track on the weekends. Would the 4.10's be better for the track? I plan on keeping the 5.0 stock so Im just trying to create the best setup without power adders.

·
Registered
230 Posts
To find out for sure. Jack up rear of car and support with stands. Put a mark on the driveshaft. Have someone slowly rotate back tire 1 full turn. Count how many times your driveshaft rotates. 3.73s will rotate a little less than 4, 4.10s just over 4. Got it

·
Premium Member
3,149 Posts
Exactly how many rpm does the engine turn at a given speed in 4th gear? From that it only takes 10 seconds to determine the differential ratio.

4.10:1 gears with a pushrod roller cam hydraulic lifter engine will make lots of noise, and feel like the car is accelerating fast.

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
Also I would like to take it to the track on the weekends. Would the 4.10's be better for the track?
Depends on which course you're running. If the track has a lot of slow corners, it might be beneficial to have the lower 4.10s to help accelerate out of the corners. At the top end on a long straight, you don't want to shift to 5th, because it's so tall that it just kills acceleration.

·
Registered
230 Posts
^^^ agree. Just to clarify I haven't done any type of racing besides street legal drag racing. The run what you brung type and it's strictly for fun. But I can comment on how gears will make the car feel. Like stated above, take the highest speed track you plan on running and figure the top speed you can reach. Pick your gear ratio based on that speed in 4th gear. Lots of gear calculators on web to help you.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have 4.10 in my 95 Cobra. I like them except for the highway. I have 265 street tires and I'm not overwhelming them by any means. The car is also cammed and lost power down low, so the gearing helps make up for that too.

It doesn't feel like too much gear at all in my setup. I need to change my driveshaft to aluminum soon though, the stock one is just spinning too fast at 70MPH and vibrating a bit. Originally these cars had 3.08 so that's a 33% increase in RPM for any given speed.

I'll only drop the gearing if I find a supercharger to bolt on.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts