Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 1992 LX and just did a 3g alternator upgrade. Wanting to make sure I wired it correctly. I am seeing contradictory wiring diagrams.

I followed the following install to wire my 3g alternator: https://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/threads/3g-alternator-install-a-how-to.646825/#post6673702

In this install, the (2) black/orange wires in the OEM harness are NOT used.

However, in other installs, the (2) black/orange wires are also installed with ring terminals on the stud along with the 4GA power feed.
Here's an example: FORDMUSCLE webmagazine: PA Performance 3G Alternator Upgrage

Which one is correct?? Thanks.

·
Registered
23,245 Posts
setup it up to use the two wires, but don't use them yet, just tape the out of the way

start it up, and check charging voltage

report what you get.

Reactions: RTW0223

·
Registered
656 Posts
x2 what Indy said. When I wired mine I tucked the two black wires out of the way and only used the new 4ga wire. All is well.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Apologize for the delay... anywho... been starting and running OK with the (2) black/orange wires NOT connected... just the 4ga wire. It doesn't even make sense to have the alternator connected to two power sources... Don't know why some companies are advertising to leave both black/orange wires connected. Voltage reads good... above 14V. Now onto fixing the other problems with the car... LOL

·
Premium Member
517 Posts
Apologize for the delay... anywho... been starting and running OK with the (2) black/orange wires NOT connected... just the 4ga wire. It doesn't even make sense to have the alternator connected to two power sources... Don't know why some companies are advertising to leave both black/orange wires connected. Voltage reads good... above 14V. Now onto fixing the other problems with the car... LOL
Did you have to do anything other than disconnect the orange/black wires at the alternator and the starter solenoid? I've read on some threads that a voltage wire is also tied in to the orange/black wires at the starter solenoid.

Edited to add: I have seen that the black/orange wire shares the fusable link with the yellow wire at the starter solenoid. Where does the yellow wire go? I'm trying to figure out if I can remove the orange black wires from the car (and starter solenoid) without causing problems.

Last question, where does the white/black striped wire at the alternator go? IE, it is in the wire loom and following the orange/black wire. Where does it go on the opposite side of the alternator?

Thanks,
Chris

·
Registered
23,245 Posts
BK/o has no fuse link

yellow wire goes to 'a' of reg, it has fuse link 18gauge

w/bk jumps at the reg attaches to the 's' of both the rectifier and regulator

this is from 89 evtm

·
Premium Member
517 Posts
I did find a pretty decent picture showing all wires.

could a single "jumper" be used to replace the factory Yellow Voltage regulator Sense switch wire?

I'm asking If I could use a single 14 gauge wire from the 3G alternator post and run it to the 3G's regulator plug's yellow wire? If so, I THINK you could remove the orange/black wires and yellow wire at the solenoid completely.

Attachments

·
Registered
23,245 Posts
fused yellow, as close to the battery as possible

that is how you do it

·
Registered
65 Posts
Reactions: 351

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Did you have to do anything other than disconnect the orange/black wires at the alternator and the starter solenoid? I've read on some threads that a voltage wire is also tied in to the orange/black wires at the starter solenoid.

Edited to add: I have seen that the black/orange wire shares the fusable link with the yellow wire at the starter solenoid. Where does the yellow wire go? I'm trying to figure out if I can remove the orange black wires from the car (and starter solenoid) without causing problems.

Last question, where does the white/black striped wire at the alternator go? IE, it is in the wire loom and following the orange/black wire. Where does it go on the opposite side of the alternator?
See p.12A (p.16 of pdf)
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1on5czXKmpETzxUggWTGtoUuVkJT2UUxN

Reactions: 351
1 - 11 of 11 Posts