Ford Mustang Forums banner

3G Alt and Contour fans???

1K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  indy2000 
#1 ·
Hello! I am doing a 3G Alt swap and adding contour fans to my 89 coupe. Do I need to run a separate power wires for the Alt and the fan or can I run a 4 gauge from the drivers side positive to a junction on the passenger side. At the junction feed the Alt and the fan with separate lines?

#2 ·
I personally would run them separate. I would run a dedicated line from the alternator with a fusable link(s) or an inline fuse capable of 130-150 amps to the stock alternator connection location. I would then run a separate fused circuit for the fan with a high quality bosch 4/5 wire relay. Being the OCD person I am, I would also find sending unit I can mount in the intake manifold (coolant passage) or in the thermostat housing to automatically control the relay. Too many people forget to turn on the switch. Something like this
://kwikwire.com/temperature-thermostat-switch-190-degrees/
or
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/der-16731/overview/

If you want to be really slick, you can easily convert to a 94/95 ecu and use the ecu to control that fan. There is lots of info on www.efidynotuning.com on exactly what is needed to do it.

#3 ·
I personally would run them separate. I would run a dedicated line from the alternator with a fusable link(s) or an inline fuse capable of 130-150 amps to the stock alternator connection location. I would then run a separate fused circuit for the fan with a high quality bosch 4/5 wire relay. Being the OCD person I am, I would also find sending unit I can mount in the intake manifold (coolant passage) or in the thermostat housing to automatically control the relay. Too many people forget to turn on the switch. Something like this
://kwikwire.com/temperature-thermostat-switch-190-degrees/
or
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/der-16731/overview/

If you want to be really slick, you can easily convert to a 94/95 ecu and use the ecu to control that fan. There is lots of info on EFIDynoTuning on exactly what is needed to do it.
I have a HPC controller.... http://www.hpcontrols.ca/media/files/HPC Fan Kit 102002-102007.pdf. I have already run a 4 gauge for the alternator with fuse block. I was just trying to plan out more wiring for the fan.... another 12 volt source...

#4 ·
That is a nice controller. I personally would just connect the lead from that controller directly to the battery and then hide the wiring.

#5 ·
Yes.... I am working on that now.... Making a cable for the fan to connect to for power from the battery.... everything is coming together..

#7 ·
couple things to consider

-if the sensor ever fails, will you be able to source a replacement easily, or are they special?

-the engine may stall, upon start up of the fan(s)......with a relay system.

#8 ·
couple things to consider

-if the sensor ever fails, will you be able to source a replacement easily, or are they special?.
This is something I always consider when building a car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.