Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys, what system are you guys using? I have a breather on both valve covers and getting tired of oil drip coming out of the breathers and making a mess.

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
Trick flow valve covers with bungs welded on. Black braided line down to a catch can mounted to driver side frame rail. The lines are silver in the picture, but black now.

Attachments

·
Registered
378 Posts
Yep I hear u no fun. With oil dripping. Quick fix is one of those wrist sweatbands or tie a rag around it.

Does your valve cover have a baffle in it?

The catch can will work. Just gotta remember to drain them. Think if u tie a vacum pump to it even better.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you have the pcv valve in the back of lower intake? i have the EFI spyder intake and it doesn't have the provision for the pcv valve in the lower intake. That is why i ran two breathers on the valve covers. So it looks like i should run a hose from each valve cover to a catch can and the catch needs to have a breather on it?

·
Registered
378 Posts
Yep u got it. U need a breather.

I run a single line from valve cover to a vacuum pump to a catch can with a breather. If u are not running a vacum pump I would do a line from each valve cover like what u said. One or 2 catch cans is up to u they will need breathers.

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
Yup, put a breather on the catch can and block up the pcv on back of intake, if you have one. This setup works well for me.

·
Registered
21,872 Posts
you need to remove water from the crankcase

a simple vent does NOT do that

if you do not have a pcv system, you have a vent

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
you need to remove water from the crankcase

a simple vent does NOT do that

if you do not have a pcv system, you have a vent
My catch can seems to gather quite a bit of oily water when I drain it.

·
Registered
378 Posts
So that why I had water in the catch can when I drained it. Thanks for the info.

I guess to solve that problem u change the oil more often? Every one I know that runs alcohol is vented. Seen them use a vacum after a run attached to vent.

·
Registered
21,872 Posts
you are capturing the excess, what is spilling over into the can, not all of it.

that water and other by products of combustion make nice acids that aid in bearing lubrication

for a strict race car this aint a problem as oil changes are frequent

for a street or cruising car, even worse, expect a nice shortened life from that engine.

and if you think its paranoia....that is fine, your money.

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
you are capturing the excess, what is spilling over into the can, not all of it.

that water and other by products of combustion make nice acids that aid in bearing lubrication

for a strict race car this aint a problem as oil changes are frequent

for a street or cruising car, even worse, expect a nice shortened life from that engine.

and if you think its paranoia....that is fine, your money.
Ha, ya, I bet those products of combustion are great for internals!

I guess I’ll have to remedy this by continuing to change my oil very frequently. Maybe I get away with it because I change my oil after the few track days I attend. I don’t think I go more than 500-700 miles between changes. Overkill probably, but I don’t drive it more than 1,000 miles a summer anyways.

It makes sense. Vacuum pump system may be in my future. Something that sucks it out rather than just vent

·
Registered
21,872 Posts
Ha, ya, I bet those products of combustion are great for internals!

I guess I’ll have to remedy this by continuing to change my oil very frequently. Maybe I get away with it because I change my oil after the few track days I attend. I don’t think I go more than 500-700 miles between changes. Overkill probably, but I don’t drive it more than 1,000 miles a summer anyways.

It makes sense. Vacuum pump system may be in my future. Something that sucks it out rather than just vent
its not the byproducts themselves

its in the presence of water

the PCV has to do with lowering the boiling point of water, if you don't get your oil temps high enough, lots of idling.....

the water will stay liquid

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
So the OEM pcv system lowers the boiling point of the water in the engine, allowing it to evaporate out of the system? And not stay as water? Allowing the water in the engine to be fully removed?

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
and let fresh air into the crankcase

What’s the point of fresh sir? Just to help flush everything? Fresh air in, dirty stuff out, type of deal?

·
Registered
378 Posts
Wow i did not know this. Been running my car for years with it just vented. Although only drive it very rarely few times to the track and car show. Once the oil start changing color I change it and use synthetic.

Do not like using the check valve blown out my dip stick a few times also had to redo the rear seal.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts