Ford Mustang Forums banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
The Lurker
895 Posts
XH / XE cranks should be forging's.
Right, it definitely appears to be forged. I've just never been able to find out anything about it.

·
Registered
951 Posts
there were a lot of trick 60's "Ford Experimental" parts made for the "windsor" engs that some/most dont know about, unfortunately too many guys think this stuff was just for the "cleveland" and falsely give it credit. One example of is Can-Am were some assumed 351 ment "cleveland" in which the xe cleveland block design was inferior to the windsor block design in hours long road racing due to the clevelands inferior oiling system.

·
The Lurker
895 Posts
Would you know where I could find any info on this crank? I figured it was for some type of Boss 302 used in racing. Supposedly the guy I got it from said it was connected with Holman and Moody.

·
Registered
951 Posts
the problem is not all "Ford Experimental Engineering" stuff of the 60's was documented well at the time, anything & everything could have been made and was back then, but its safe to say that much/most of it was made for > INDY-T/A-FORMULA < and other forms of Road Racing and very little to do with drag racing. Guys can get away with using factory stock inferior design parts for seconds at a time in drag racing but that does not usually work out well in real racing / hours long road racing.

btw, H-M were also involved with the making/design of the 351w xe block along with many other race parts, you may also want to check > Boss 302 Exchange < for any info on that old xe crank

·
Registered
951 Posts
...402 Boss/Clevor ... the production engine Ford coulda/shoulda of made in the late 60's...
Boss 402.jpg

·
The Lurker
895 Posts
Thanks. When you started posting XE links and info and thought this may be closer than I've ever gotten.

·
Registered
951 Posts
I first heard/learned about all the FXE stuff back in the early 80's, i can tell you there was some super trick things made back in the 1960's that many still dont know about today. Just one example is the late 60's FXE four valve push rod heads for the "Windsor" design blocks...

FVPR 1.jpg

there were a half doz sets of FVPR heads made for testing around the same time as the Weslake 4 valve heads came out for the sbc, fords 4 valve pushrod tech was then shelfed back then when Ford supposedly dropped all there racing programs due to the "safety" BS of the time. Later the old FVPR head design was updated with new rockers/intake and briefly reintroduced/displayed by ford back in the early 90's with the idea of selling kits through fms but dropped it again because of the new 4V Mod eng platform just coming out... btw imo the > WESLAKE < 4v pushrod design was better.

·
Registered
951 Posts
... FXE 3 Valve tunnel port int Windsor SOHC ... Top Left Corner ... another coulda, woulda, shoulda ...

F X E.jpg

·
The Lurker
895 Posts
the problem is not all "Ford Experimental Engineering" stuff of the 60's was documented well at the time, anything & everything could have been made and was back then, but its safe to say that much/most of it was made for > INDY-T/A-FORMULA < and other forms of Road Racing and very little to do with drag racing. Guys can get away with using factory stock inferior design parts for seconds at a time in drag racing but that does not usually work out well in real racing / hours long road racing.

btw, H-M were also involved with the making/design of the 351w xe block along with many other race parts, you may also want to check > Boss 302 Exchange < for any info on that old xe crank
No luck from the Boss 302 Exchange yet with 86 views so far.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts