Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to share with all of you my current engine build. There is nothing exotic about the engine. They say it’s all about the combo. Well the torque pull of my car on the highway is very good. The car runs on 87 octane regular unleaded. The throttle response is good. If I dump the clutch aggressively I can break the tires free. The best part is I am beating on this car... and it just keeps on going. I used to worry about the engine because I don’t have oil pressure or coolant temp gauges, but I just decided to drive it.

·
Registered
4,005 Posts
I feel like I need to answer a question here. Perhaps you could share more info about to your combo...

·
Registered
731 Posts
I don’t have oil pressure or coolant temp gauges, but I just decided to drive it.
Not one of the brighter ideas out there.

Why not just get a cheap set of gauges at your preferred auto parts store?

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here it is:
Lightning roller engine
Mustang H.O. stock camshaft (not sure what year)
Crane Cobra 1.7:1 roller rockers
GT40 lightning cast iron heads
Lightning upper and lower intake
Accufab 75mm throttle body and spacer
Ford 24lb/hr. injectors
Matching 75mm Pro Flow mass air flow meter calibrated for 24lb injectors
BBK shorty swap headers
Off road h-pipe
EGR is still intact and hooked up

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The engine is mated to a Tremec 3550 and final gearing I believe is 3.73:1. May be 3.55.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The fuel injection management is 100% stock ford. Stock mustang A9L computer. 1989 351w truck distributor that I put a steel camshaft gear onto. The harness is the discontinued Ford aftermarket harness used to put a pushrod 5.0 into whatever. Inside the tank is a Walbro 255 lph normally used for a gm application. The fuel pressure regulator is stock non-adjustable Ford.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There is a clutch fan on the front of the engine and the radiator is stock fox.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The idle is obviously stock 5.0 foxbody mustang. It was 95* out there today and I had it up in the higher average highway speeds and got stuck in Center City stop and go traffic on I-95.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don’t have oil pressure or coolant temp gauges, but I just decided to drive it.
Not one of the brighter ideas out there.

Why not just get a cheap set of gauges at your preferred auto parts store?
It’s on the list of things to do. I am actually gonna swap an 89 stang dash and then a gauge pod will follow shortly thereafter.

·
Registered
471 Posts
What hood are you running? I have a nice roller 351 block I would love to build and put in my 1990 convertible, but my paint job is in excellent condition and I can't bring myself to changing out to a different hood...although I do love the look of a Cobra R hood.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What hood are you running? I have a nice roller 351 block I would love to build and put in my 1990 convertible, but my paint job is in excellent condition and I can't bring myself to changing out to a different hood...although I do love the look of a Cobra R hood.

Yeah... I cut a hole in the hood and put a scoop on top of it.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Sounds like a down and dirty low budget setup. Those are great for having fun with till something fails, but chances are it will never fail. Should post up a picture.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sounds like a down and dirty low budget setup. Those are great for having fun with till something fails, but chances are it will never fail. Should post up a picture.
This exactly! When you drive a fox and you think to yourself more power but still a street car you should try a roller 351 swap with your stock cam. I feel like I stumbled onto something because I compensated for the greater displacement by making everything a little bit bigger. Bigger injectors. Slightly bigger heads and valves with a slightly higher rocker ratio. The compression ratio is low because of the giant dish in the stock pistons.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Ohhhhh....I didn't make the connection to the Daddywagon. Love that car. LOL!!! I have a soft spot for what I call the Odd-Fox's. Fairmonts, LTD's, etc...

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ohhhhh....I didn't make the connection to the Daddywagon. Love that car. LOL!!! I have a soft spot for what I call the Odd-Fox's. Fairmonts, LTD's, etc...
Yeah! Thanks! I have that same soft spot obviously! Haha! I took the car on a mini vacation to the Jersey Shore and drove the heck out of it on the highway in 90* heat. I drove it to Ford Nationals at Carlisle, Pa. It’s made about six trips to Lehigh Valley Cars and Coffee in Bethlehem, Pa. between this summer and last summer. I live in Levittown, Pa, so these places aren’t close by. Add to that the way I drive the car and you can see why I praise the engine!

·
Registered
636 Posts
"D&D" is god damn right! LOL! 100% reliability from an overrated Lightning 5.8L.

Stop light to stop light was rad in American Graffiti. Enjoy it....you built it.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts