Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of maybe starting to turn my blower car with small heads and an AOD to a big headed, 88mm turbo car with a C4and brake. I want to get this car in the mid 5's (in the 1/8th of course) at least with the 347, is this possible? I've still got to do my cage and some Aerospace brakes, but then I can maybe swap out what I've got for some bigger stuff, I guess what I'm asking is there any 347's running 800-1000rwhp?

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
There are plenty running in that range. Miy 352 made 787RWHP with 15psi on E85 and meth through an AOD and a 76mm. My friends 347 ran an 8.59 @ 163mph with a 76mm.

I would stay with the AOD over the C4 for that power level. You could do that HP with a 76mm, though the PT88 is a nice turbo if you can package it. What heads are you running now?

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Many guys run in the 8's with a turbo and 175-190 cc head. A huge head is not always needed. But as always it is all about the combo.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I'm running a box stock AFR 185, some say my combo is doing fine others say it's low, which I think it is also as far as dyno numbers, haven't got any "real" times yet due to no cage, I pulled off a 6.50 1/8th off of idle, 22lbs of boost from F1C Procharger, put down 557 on pump gas. I've just been interested in the turbo world for a while now, I want to get it up in the 800ish range to the tires, but I really hate to take it off of the street to get it to run where I want it to. I'd like to run the 275 class and maybe another one my buddies are running, but they are in the 1000-1400rwhp field with powerglides and cut up cars. As much as I see on the web, I feel like I could maybe compete with that with out totally screwing up the car; maybe? On edit, I'm thinking of going with a set of TFS'Rs stage 3, I'm sure I'd need to change my cam, and I don't have a transbrake, how critical is it with turbo to build boost?

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
You can do it, but going to have to run a LOT of boost.
Like 25-30psi. Water/meth injection or an air/water cooler would advisable.

Would run at least an 88mm or bigger turbo.

Bigger heads and cam will definitely help.
Transbrake is not a must but can help.

If you upgrade to an AEM computer it has a lot very cool turbo features
like their "anti-lag" system that backfires the engine into the turbo on staging
run-up and builds even more boost off the line than a transbrake alone.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I wouldn't advise using a C4 with big power, a turbo 400 would be much more reliable.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the info and advice, I guess I'll take this one step at a time. Rollcage, bigger heads, 5 lug conversion and run it with the f1 and see what id does. Then a turbo, all of this I'm sure will be over a couple of years. I feel like I could enjoy running it with some bigger heads and the Procharger setup, the turbo will be something new to try in a couple of years.

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
Thanks for all the info and advice, I guess I'll take this one step at a time. Rollcage, bigger heads, 5 lug conversion and run it with the f1 and see what id does. Then a turbo, all of this I'm sure will be over a couple of years. I feel like I could enjoy running it with some bigger heads and the Procharger setup, the turbo will be something new to try in a couple of years.
You will crap your pants on how much more power the turbo makes over the F1

Good luck.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yea, I'm sure, but unless I can hit the lotto, it will be a little while before the car can handle it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts