Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
going to be doing a 347 build with AFR185 heads and custom cam. i have a GT40 intake and i have a Trickflow R-series 75mm upper intake laying around. trying to decide which would be better as i dont really know what either actually would flow. i figuer that buying a 302 lower Trickflow intake would be similar in price to sending a GT40 to someone like Tmoss and having it ported.

its gonig to be more mid-range build for a truck. with 4.56 gears and 33" tires its got some gearing, 2300-2500 stall, 4R70W trans, true dual long tube with 2.25" exhaust. and a lead foot to go with it. it moves pretty good with a bone stock Explorer 5.0, but im hoping the longer stroke will give better torque for its occasional towing and more HP will make it more fun overall daily driver.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Ported or not, a GT40 or Cobra intake will never hold a candle to a TFS R. Whether or not its worth it depends on your build. On a truck the GT40 should do fine.

·
USAF retired
9,359 Posts
TFS-R box, or Holley not an option? If you've got a pickup hood clearance shouldn't be an issue, so could run a spacer or two.

·
Registered
10,998 Posts
That's a STIFF gear - you won't need the mid range of a GT40 intake. I'd use a Holley over a R, but run at least a 75mm or a 80mm TB on the intake.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
i was pretty fixed one of these since i already have a spare GT40 intake and a complete TFS 351w R-series 75mm that i can use the upper from and order a 302 lower. would perfer not to order a completely separate intake unless both of these options are that bad. i can run a 1" spacer on the R or the GT40, i think i have 1" on it currently

wouldn't the Box-R be too big? while i cant say for certian, i think the Box-R will have firewall isuses. i looked into it for my 408 on another truck and asked about it. i guess Lightning guys using it say they have issues with hood and firewall. even then id still have to buy upper and lower.

Talking about the Holley Systemax or the Hi-Ram? i do not have stock truck lower if thats what you were getting at using stock lower with Systemax upper

i imagine using a StreetBurner lower with the R-series upper would be a bad idea? using a 1" spacer to port match them together

·
Old timer
6,173 Posts
As Tom stated.... The Holley SM2 is the best for what you're doing.

To offset the cost, sell the GT40 and the TFS intake.

FWIW, the TFS long runner EFI intakes are not that great, other than the Box R...

Reactions: tmoss

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
is there an intake that you recommend that can be ran driver side or passenger side? while i can run the intake passenger side, i like the option of running it driver side like the GT40 can

so the ported GT40 is not a good option either for me? i wouldnt mid more midrange cosndiering the truck is usually at 2000 rpm at highway speeds. but i understand it might not be enough with the rest of the build

i guess i can look into the Systemax. i take it i would be shooting myself in the foot using a stock 5.0 truck lower intake to save money. hard for me to justify spending 800-900 for a new intake

side question: got a friend with a stock 351w in his truck. if he got AFR heads and that TFS intake, would you be able to make a custom cam to make it work with him or is it jsut that poor of a choice? he wants more power but is far more concerend about the cleaner look of the TFS-R intake. he is the kinda guy that almost ordered the SuperVictor intake jsut for the cleaner look till i told him how bad of an idea that was

·
Registered
14 Posts
I ran a box stock Cobra on my 95 years ago: CHP 347, AFR 185’s, Comp XE cam. It made 351rwhp and 382rwtrq. It was a fun street build, but was done by 6k. Obviously a better intake and exhaust may have got me close to the magical 400hp, but I was happy with what it was.

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
With that heavy truck and more 2k rpm driving than 4k or more, I think I'd aim for an intake just below the top three(SII,R,Victor 5.0). How about an RPM II or what else is just above the GT40 level?

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
crap... 99% sure i got scammed. had heavy suspicions from beginning but pictures looked legit, not something off google. pretty much confirmed it when he asked for more money to for shipping but a different email. the user on here that contacted me Rayman242 does not come up and the conversation is missing except in my gmail notification. one ofthe "email my friend he has one" messages. and using Zelle i wont be able to get that back is my understanding

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
crap... 99% sure i got scammed. had heavy suspicions from beginning but pictures looked legit, not something off google. pretty much confirmed it when he asked for more money to for shipping but a different email. the user on here that contacted me Rayman242 does not come up and the conversation is missing except in my gmail notification. one ofthe "email my friend he has one" messages. and using Zelle i wont be able to get that back is my understanding
Why on earth anyone would use anything except PayPal “goods and services” is beyond me.

It’s the only thing to use for online transactions.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
It's a sign you tape to your forehead that says "Rip me off"
I agree. I’ve seen post after post; whether here or Facebook of people getting ****ed over, and the common denominator is they don’t pay that 2.9% for peace of mind.

Reactions: 91GTstroked

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
never used Zelle before but i know banks use it. but then googling it its seems thats what scammers perfer to use cause theres no protection from scammers. i know alot of people thse days use all sorts of apps to send money. im defiantly one that perfers Paypal

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
I've cancelled a Zelle transaction, there's a waiting period of 1-3 days I think.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It went through. The account is gone now. So I'm SOL. Whatever, moving on. Still looking for an intake

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
Damn, that sucks. Did you call your bank?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts