Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Diving into a resto project on a 91 GT that i have owned for 11 years. Bought the car when i was 16. Daily drove it for 4 years and put almost 110k miles on it. Blew it up multiple times. Decided to park the car when i was 21 as i had other responsibilities and well, to be honest, every cop in my small town knew me as im sure alot of you can relate. I have stored the car since 2012. When i parked it i never planned on letting it sit for 7 years. Didnt even unhook the battery.....Last month i towed her home and have been making a list to the tune of 20k to build a respectable street car.

I am located in CNY, winter will be here soon, so luckily i have 6-7 months to work on it here and there.

I am trying to buy mid grade parts, looking for reliability but car will see limited track time. Once or twice a year maybe.

Here is what ive done to the car already
New battery
New fuel tank w/ straps/bolts
New fuel filler neck
New sending unit
Pro M fuel pump hanger with -6AN fittings
PTFE fragola fuel lines just from tank to stock fox lines
255lph high pressure pump

Did get car to run. Has a bad knock. Has an injector stuck open. Rear main seal leak. Front main/frontcover leak. Valve cover leak. Thermostat housing leak. Check engine light with a list of 11 or 12 codes.

Decided that the stock 302 thats in the car is worthless to me. Has cheap china aluminum heads that have been decked twice. And some random letter cam.

After much debate between a 351w/302 i found a fresh 347 stroker in a dart block locally. Seems as if the dart blocks are near unbreakable!

I called the local machine shop to get a rundown on what had been done to the engine.

Brand new DART SHP block
Scat forged crank
Scat Rods
JE forged pistons
Trickflow 190cc heads w/ aftermarket springs and 1.6 roller rockers
Anderson N-71 Cam
Comp Cams billet timing chain set w/9 slot crank sprocket
CSR electric water pump
Moroso 7qt aluminum pan w/ reinfoced billet front/rear sections
10-1 compression

Paid 4500$ Seemed like a good deal! Heads/rockers were used, but machine shop said they were in good shape

Ditching the electric water pump as i like mechanical much better for ease of use and looks.

I have also purchased the following
Holley sniper EFI
Dual sync distributor
MSD 6al
FRPP 0 balance billet flywheel
FRPP plug wires
SVE aluminum radiator and hoses
GMP water pump
New front cover
Full length sub frame connectors w/ seat brackets

to be purchased this winter-
tko600
clutch
31 spline mosers
new diff
4 lug rear disc kit from LMR
torque box reinforcements
possible 4 link stuff
SVE coilover kit
MM k member

Now for the unknowns.......

1. What in the heck should i run for an intake? Performer RPM airgap????? Have read a hundred different threads and everyone just starts arguing the old vic jr vs super vs air gap and there is never a conclusion....

2. Spark plugs... i know i know, but will autolite 3924 be ok in a 347 with these heads?

3. Electric fans....contour fans the best option?

4. What do i need vacuum for besides brakes? No heat/ No AC/ No anything that i can think of that needs vaccum.(Trying to clean up engine bay)(Also gutting electrical but im pretty good with that)

Any help/advice is appreciated!!!!!! If there is something i have on the list that seems stupid let me know! Not a professional here! Will post pics ASAP

Attachments

·
Registered
394 Posts
I’d like to see the pics. I bought mine in 2001 when I was 17. So I like these builds.

Your build sounds OK. My best advice is if you want to go fuel injected and I think you should, get a stand alone computer. Once you decide on that ppl can answer your questions better.

·
Formerly LSNotch
820 Posts
Diving into a resto project on a 91 GT that i have owned for 11 years. Bought the car when i was 16. Daily drove it for 4 years and put almost 110k miles on it. Blew it up multiple times. Decided to park the car when i was 21 as i had other responsibilities and well, to be honest, every cop in my small town knew me as im sure alot of you can relate. I have stored the car since 2012. When i parked it i never planned on letting it sit for 7 years. Didnt even unhook the battery.....Last month i towed her home and have been making a list to the tune of 20k to build a respectable street car.

I am located in CNY, winter will be here soon, so luckily i have 6-7 months to work on it here and there.

I am trying to buy mid grade parts, looking for reliability but car will see limited track time. Once or twice a year maybe.

Here is what ive done to the car already
New battery
New fuel tank w/ straps/bolts
New fuel filler neck
New sending unit
Pro M fuel pump hanger with -6AN fittings
PTFE fragola fuel lines just from tank to stock fox lines
255lph high pressure pump

Did get car to run. Has a bad knock. Has an injector stuck open. Rear main seal leak. Front main/frontcover leak. Valve cover leak. Thermostat housing leak. Check engine light with a list of 11 or 12 codes.

Decided that the stock 302 thats in the car is worthless to me. Has cheap china aluminum heads that have been decked twice. And some random letter cam.

After much debate between a 351w/302 i found a fresh 347 stroker in a dart block locally. Seems as if the dart blocks are near unbreakable!

I called the local machine shop to get a rundown on what had been done to the engine.

Brand new DART SHP block
Scat forged crank
Scat Rods
JE forged pistons
Trickflow 190cc heads w/ aftermarket springs and 1.6 roller rockers
Anderson N-71 Cam
Comp Cams billet timing chain set w/9 slot crank sprocket
CSR electric water pump
Moroso 7qt aluminum pan w/ reinfoced billet front/rear sections
10-1 compression

Paid 4500$ Seemed like a good deal! Heads/rockers were used, but machine shop said they were in good shape

Ditching the electric water pump as i like mechanical much better for ease of use and looks.

I have also purchased the following
Holley sniper EFI
Dual sync distributor
MSD 6al
FRPP 0 balance billet flywheel
FRPP plug wires
SVE aluminum radiator and hoses
GMP water pump
New front cover
Full length sub frame connectors w/ seat brackets

to be purchased this winter-
tko600
clutch
31 spline mosers
new diff
4 lug rear disc kit from LMR
torque box reinforcements
possible 4 link stuff
SVE coilover kit
MM k member

Now for the unknowns.......

1. What in the heck should i run for an intake? Performer RPM airgap????? Have read a hundred different threads and everyone just starts arguing the old vic jr vs super vs air gap and there is never a conclusion....

2. Spark plugs... i know i know, but will autolite 3924 be ok in a 347 with these heads?

3. Electric fans....contour fans the best option?

4. What do i need vacuum for besides brakes? No heat/ No AC/ No anything that i can think of that needs vaccum.(Trying to clean up engine bay)(Also gutting electrical but im pretty good with that)

Any help/advice is appreciated!!!!!! If there is something i have on the list that seems stupid let me know! Not a professional here! Will post pics ASAP
What is the end goal for the car? Street and strip, if so what percentage each would you say? That’s a decent cam so I personally wouldn’t want to choke it with a rpm air gap. In fact you want the best flow out of the intake. Victor jr minimun in my opinion and gear accordingly. A tko600 and high rpms engine would need a 4.10 minimum to keep it at the sweet spot. 1 3/4 headers with 3” collector and 3” x pipe. After the x pipe you can mate it to a 2 1/2 as the gases won’t expand that much.

Spark plugs are fine for those heads and gap them to .045

I have a black magic flexalite and it’s been good to me, but I know the mark 7 is good but the amperage draw is a killer. No experience with contour fans. Use a 3g alternator with 0-4 gauge power and ground cables.

For vacuum really are the brakes and pcv if you are going to use it

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I’d like to see the pics. I bought mine in 2001 when I was 17. So I like these builds.

Your build sounds OK. My best advice is if you want to go fuel injected and I think you should, get a stand alone computer. Once you decide on that ppl can answer your questions better.
Im going with Holley Sniper EFI for ease of use. So yes fuel injected, but carb style. Putting Pics up tonight!

What is the end goal for the car? Street and strip, if so what percentage each would you say? That’s a decent cam so I personally wouldn’t want to choke it with a rpm air gap. In fact you want the best flow out of the intake. Victor jr minimun in my opinion and gear accordingly. A tko600 and high rpms engine would need a 4.10 minimum to keep it at the sweet spot. 1 3/4 headers with 3” collector and 3” x pipe. After the x pipe you can mate it to a 2 1/2 as the gases won’t expand that much.

Spark plugs are fine for those heads and gap them to .045

I have a black magic flexalite and it’s been good to me, but I know the mark 7 is good but the amperage draw is a killer. No experience with contour fans. Use a 3g alternator with 0-4 gauge power and ground cables.

For vacuum really are the brakes and pcv if you are going to use it
End goal is a 400ish hp street car. 95% street 5% strip.

4.10s are exactly what i want. trying to stay away from 4.30s as it will get driven on the highway. Fuel mileage is of no concern though. Just dont want to be screaming at 75mph

Any opinion on what i should set rev limiter at? 7000?

Does anyone make an 1 3/4 shorty header? or do i have to go longtube?

Thanks for the help!!

·
Formerly LSNotch
820 Posts
Im going with Holley Sniper EFI for ease of use. So yes fuel injected, but carb style. Putting Pics up tonight!

End goal is a 400ish hp street car. 95% street 5% strip.

4.10s are exactly what i want. trying to stay away from 4.30s as it will get driven on the highway. Fuel mileage is of no concern though. Just dont want to be screaming at 75mph

Any opinion on what i should set rev limiter at? 7000?

Does anyone make an 1 3/4 shorty header? or do i have to go longtube?

Thanks for the help!!
Depending of the tire height and considering is a 6sp I don't think it would be screaming on the highway.

I would say 6800 for rpms limit depending on the rest of induction and exhaust. It should spin to 6500 rpms without too much trouble with that cam, but only time would tell.

I think there are 1 3/4 short tube headers but you will be limiting the potential on those heads, cam and possibly intake. My choice would be long tubes.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Depending of the tire height and considering is a 6sp I don't think it would be screaming on the highway.

I would say 6800 for rpms limit depending on the rest of induction and exhaust. It should spin to 6500 rpms without too much trouble with that cam, but only time would tell.

I think there are 1 3/4 short tube headers but you will be limiting the potential on those heads, cam and possibly intake. My choice would be long tubes.
My biggest concern is making the exhaust appear to have cats. Need to visually see them in NY to pass inspection. currently the car has a 2.5" bbk x pipe with cats that have been gutted. Do they sell a 3" with cats? i cant seem to find one.If so i would buy it and gut them.

They did just release the Holley high ram for the 302....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I cant find one for a 302 w/ a carb(holley sniper). They need to make one!

·
Registered
733 Posts
First things first: Ditch the 4 lug asap. Spending money on converting to 4 lug disc is like taking a hooker to dinner. Just a waste of money.

Do a 5 lug conversion so you can have more choices for wheels and brakes

Also, why not go with one of the sefi systems? Holley now offers the terminator system for sbf, and there are megasquirt plug and play systems as well. Throttle body fuel injection is just going backwards imo.

Besides that, the parts look pretty good. If you’re dead set on tb injection, I would go with a Vic Jr.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
First things first: Ditch the 4 lug asap. Spending money on converting to 4 lug disc is like taking a hooker to dinner. Just a waste of money.

Do a 5 lug conversion so you can have more choices for wheels and brakes

Also, why not go with one of the sefi systems? Holley now offers the terminator system for sbf, and there are megasquirt plug and play systems as well. Throttle body fuel injection is just going backwards imo.

Besides that, the parts look pretty good. If you’re dead set on tb injection, I would go with a Vic Jr.
To be honest, im trying to keep it simple. The sefi systems are nice, and im sure they make more HP, but being a street car i couldnt see spending all that money over the sniper.

I have been back and forth on the 4 vs 5 lug. As soon as i go 5 lug i feel like i need to do the sn95 spindle, which ive had a hard time finding locally. No junkyard have they 94-95 cars. May have to ebay them.

·
Registered
733 Posts
To be honest, im trying to keep it simple. The sefi systems are nice, and im sure they make more HP, but being a street car i couldnt see spending all that money over the sniper.

I have been back and forth on the 4 vs 5 lug. As soon as i go 5 lug i feel like i need to do the sn95 spindle, which ive had a hard time finding locally. No junkyard have they 94-95 cars. May have to ebay them.
The Holley terminator for fords is $1100 and comes with the harness and everything. Just throwing it out there. It will do everything you need, and tuning is about as easy as the tbi. Either will work, I just find spending $1000 for the tbi system kind of tough to swallow.

There’s a guy on the BST area here who sells spindles. I believe he’s asking like $200 for them with hubs.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
why not just keep the stock ecu and throw a quarterhorse on it == standalone

I thought you had to keep the stock ecu in order to pass emissions?

Give this a good read over about everything you need to know.

Pre Tune Information / EFIDynoTuning

·
Registered
447 Posts
I don't run one and probably never will but I am pretty sure those TBI "electric carb" setups don't work well with dual plane manifolds.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The Holley terminator for fords is $1100 and comes with the harness and everything. Just throwing it out there. It will do everything you need, and tuning is about as easy as the tbi. Either will work, I just find spending $1000 for the tbi system kind of tough to swallow.

There’s a guy on the BST area here who sells spindles. I believe he’s asking like $200 for them with hubs.
Hmmm did not realize the terminator system was that cheap...

checking out the spindle guy now

why not just keep the stock ecu and throw a quarterhorse on it == standalone

I thought you had to keep the stock ecu in order to pass emissions?

Give this a good read over about everything you need to know.

Pre Tune Information / EFIDynoTuning
I only have to pass a visual emmisions on the exhaust system. They check to make sure the car has cats. That is all thankfully

The factory wiring harness has had its better days, not to mention the mice have had a field day on it for the last 7 years.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
On a side note- of the many things i ordered, one was a FRPP thermostat housing. At the tune of $60. And it looks like someone didnt have a clue what they were doing. Im sure it will work. But it needs alot of work to look decent.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 36 Posts