Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i recently bought a dart block 347 from heads to pan. no intake. it's a low compression boost motor with afr 185s. i'll be running my s trim on it when time comes to put it in. i'm running a street heat intake on my current stock block motor was wondering every ones opinion on running that intake with the 185s. the heads on my current motor are the TFS 170s. i know it prob flows less. was wondering if porting it would make sense or just find a way to get the money for a better intake. gonna be going for 500+rwhp and turning the blower to maximum rpm

·
Registered
700 Posts
You will be forcing air through the intake. I don't think you will have an issue with it making the 500rwhp goal on boost, but there's obviously better intakes out there that flow a lot more than the street heat. Is that 464rwhp in your sig with the current 302/TW 170/ street heat combo? How much boost are you pushing to get that?

Assuming your new motor makes about 350rwhp with that intake in naturally aspirated form, then it should have no problem hitting the 500 mark with only about 7-8# of boost. That's assuming the blower can push enough air to make 8 pounds of pressure in the manifold.

I'd contact TMOSS to see about porting the lower to match the heads better. If the price isn't what you can afford, then compare it to getting a different manifold.

·
Registered
5,104 Posts
I tried running that intake on my 363/Eaton setup. While it was a great intake on the stock block 306/Eaton setup (went 10.5's at 129 before splitting the block), it absolutely sucked on the 363. It positively choked the 363 by 5,000 rpm. I was geared to run ~6,300 rpm through the traps, and learned (the hard way) that your tuning window shrinks dramatically when you go too far past your power band. It melted three pistons and scuffed all 8 bores. I cut 5.5" of runner and 11 lbs of aluminum out of the intake and ported it to the limits of the casting, and was able to move the hp peak to 6,150 rpm N/A with a 228/242 on a 116 cam (the motor is now a 365 due to the scuffing). I hung a 2.3 liter Whipple in place of the Eaton, and peak power is now around 5,700 or so - it doesn't nose over until after 6,000 rpm.

Here's some photos of the hackery for your entertainment:

Here's how my ported intake aligned with the unported heads (these are borescope images):

And now the intake/head interface looks like this:

And finally, I checked the pushrod sweep - I used 6.750" long pushrods:

And put the whole thing together:

Sharp eyes will notice the funky Isuzu (or somesuch) fuel pressure regulator I'm using. That might be an issue. I'll let you guys know what happens there...

...And I put the whole mess in the car:

Unless you don't value your time at all, you'd be better off with another intake. Knowing what I know now, I would've done a carb style EFI intake and been done with it much sooner and been able to turn a few more rpm. Though my intake now says, "Trick" on it. Which is kinda cool. I guess.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah i'll prob go with a better flowing like you guys said. what are your guys opinions on the victor 5.0 and the carb style victor EFI intakes. this is my first mustang/foxbody and i'm already not a fan of the whole removing the upper to adjust valves crap so something like one of those have me interested even if not perfect for the combo. lol. i was only considering using the street heat because i still have to spend a bunch on upgrading the fuel system but i'll just save a little longer and get a better intake.

i've also been debating on weather i should do the fuel system and max out the S trim(still gonna need an intercooler or meth kit) or keep the stock system for now and put the fuel system money toward going turbo.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I had the street heat on my sc'd 331 with tfs170 heads, on 15psi it made 580whp at 5500rpm then fell quick. I upgraded to a Holley systemax II and put long tubes with a 3" exhaust, made 625whp at 6000rpm and only dropped 20hp or so over the next 500rpm. Of course I'm sure the exhaust helped quite a bit but I think the intake was a big choke point.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had the street heat on my sc'd 331 with tfs170 heads, on 15psi it made 580whp at 5500rpm then fell quick. I upgraded to a Holley systemax II and put long tubes with a 3" exhaust, made 625whp at 6000rpm and only dropped 20hp or so over the next 500rpm. Of course I'm sure the exhaust helped quite a bit but I think the intake was a big choke point.
yeah i think i'll just bight the bullet and buy an intake. probably go with EFI carb style victor intake to make working on the car easier. plus they look so awesome. lol.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Yeah they do look awesome. Really convenient that you don't have to pull the upper to take the valve covers and such off, too.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah they do look awesome. Really convenient that you don't have to pull the upper to take the valve covers and such off, too.
def a big reason behind the choice. the victor 5.0 dosent look so bad to work around either.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts