tfs R intake
1-3/4 lt 3" exhaust
tko600 faceplated
3.73 gear.
Vortech v2 si trim
custom front mount intercooler
6.87 crank pulley 2.75 blower pulley
custom tensioner for max belt wrap
The car has dyno'd 621Whp 575wtq sae and ran a best of 10.4 @135mph with a poor 1.54 60ft time. With this combo it see's approx 14psi. according to vortech I'm over spinning the blower by a fair amount. I'd really like to see a 9 second pass with this combo. Is this about the max these si trims can do? If I were to add water / meth injection and added timing could I pick up another 60-80whp?

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Your rwhp is a little optimistic imo. My last engine at 5psi dynoed 505rwhp and ran 10.5 at 130mph at 3500lbs.

On old combo ran an 8" crank pulley with 2.75 or 2.95 blower puller, cant remember, it was years ago. Never had an issue over spinning blower by 10,000 rpms (60,000rpm).

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your rwhp is a little optimistic imo. My last engine at 5psi dynoed 505rwhp and ran 10.5 at 130mph at 3500lbs.

On old combo ran an 8" crank pulley with 2.75 or 2.95 blower puller, cant remember, it was years ago. Never had an issue over spinning blower by 10,000 rpms (60,000rpm).
The rwhp is optimistic? I dyno'd the car personally so I know the numbers are legit. You must have had a large blower or engine to make 505rwhp on 5 psi. Was this a stick or auto?

·
Registered
398 Posts
I have a 331, sc trim, right there witth ya, 10.4 at 132.
I only dynoed 528rwhp.

I've been trying to work on a E85 tune and more timing.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a 331, sc trim, right there witth ya, 10.4 at 132.
I only dynoed 528rwhp.

I've been trying to work on a E85 tune and more timing.
Whats the rest of your combo? race weight? 60ft times?

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
352ci with a 76 turbo thru an aod. Hp is hp.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Your intercooler is taken away boost. What are your inlet temps? U can try water myth or some type of combination should help.

Heard the best gains is adding to inlet of the blower.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
352ci with a 76 turbo thru an aod. Hp is hp.
Auto's are always gonna dyno less then a manual transmission. My Buddies car dyno'd 650whp through a stalled aod and ran 9.40 @147 mph.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
1. How much total timing are you commanding now?
2. Type of octane you're using now
3. Type of intercooler?

Thanks
Michael Plummer
Total timing is 21 degree's. 92 octane, its a tread stone intercooler air to air.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Your intercooler is taken away boost. What are your inlet temps? U can try water myth or some type of combination should help.

Heard the best gains is adding to inlet of the blower.
Inlet air temps are usually around 90-100 degrees at the beginning of the pass and around 114-124 or so at the end depending on the temp outside. I've heard spraying dual nozzles one pre blower works great, unfortunately I have a blow through maf and I don't think it would work.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
I understand that Autos typically show less hp on the dyno. Mine showed 787rwhp at 15psi. Ran 9.41 at 149 with no traction. Not picking on you at all. Dynos can show different hp depending on the correction factor and type of dyno, I get that.

I ran dual nozzles with a snow kit when I was running a maxed out s trim. I sprayed right into blower inlet. I was trying to drop the air temps. It did work. It dropped the air temps 100*. Im not sure I would do that running an intercooler.

Michael will steer you in the right direction.

·
Premium Member
5,697 Posts
Total timing is 21 degree's. 92 octane, its a tread stone intercooler air to air.
1. Total timing: With a Water/Methanol setup you should be able to run another 4 to 6 degrees of total timing. There are other factors that may affect this but try increasing your advance in 2 degrees increments and back it off when RWHP no longer increases. Basically use this as a guide. One degree of additional timing you want to see at least 8-10rwhp gained.

2. 92 Octane: This is where a Water/Methanol System helps. It will increase your detonation control, so you're able to increase total timing and boost.

3. Treadstone Intercooler: This is a little tricky because Treadstone use different types of cores across their intercooler lineup, and I could talk about this all damn day. Going to keep this really simple. An air-to-air intercooler should be at least between 60% and 70% efficienct...….the higher the number the better. One way to measure efficiency is to look at the ratio of the temperature removed from the air charge by the intercooler relative to how much temperature is put into the charge by the supercharger.

EXAMPLE: If the supercharger puts 200 degrees F into the charge when compressing the air, and the intercooler removes 150 of those degrees, then the efficiency is: Eff = 150 / 200 = .75, or 75.0% AWESOME.

Or, you can look at how much of a pressure loss you're getting before and after the intercooler.
EXAMPLE: 15psi going into the intercooler but only 10psi coming out. Not very efficient.

So before removing the intercooler you need to find out how efficient it is, and how much boost you're losing across the core. EXAMPLE: If the intercooler is 69% efficient and your loss across the core is less than 1 psi keep the intercooler in the setup.

I hope this helps
Michael Plummer

·
Premium Member
5,697 Posts
I've heard spraying dual nozzles one pre blower works great, unfortunately I have a blow through maf and I don't think it would work.
Some companies claim, it's better to spray pre and then post injection. Other companies claim post is better, and the marketing battle continues. I've tried both setups and it doesn't matter unless you have a maxed out blower (over-spinning it) you "MAY" see 1psi more using pre-injection.

stangjumper had a lot of success running pre and post injection on his old little S-trim, and others had a lot of success running post injection. Honestly, it doesn't matter where you cool your air charge, just cool it.

I hope this helps
Michael Plummer

·
Premium Member
5,697 Posts
Mike what type of mixture would u run? Can u run straight m1?
When you have to inject a lot of fluid like I do, you can't run a 50/50 mix because there is to much water in the combustion chamber. Personally, I use some where around a 25/75 ratio of water to methanol. Anyone can run 100% Methanol but it's has its pros and cons. For me, I choose not to, because 100% methanol is very flammable and I have a 2.5 gallon reservoir in my trunk. If you need more HP, build a better engine.

I hope this helps
Michael Plummer

1 - 17 of 17 Posts