Ford Mustang Forums banner

331 Combo suggestions

8K views 72 replies 15 participants last post by  Blwn331 
#1 ·
I recently decided to make this a drag race only car. I’m looking to squeeze every bit of power out of it without doing any port work or swapping the cam. Open to suggestions on what to change. I know the exhaust has to go. I was thinking of doing a 1 5/8 full length header to Dyno Max race bullets dumped. Thoughts?

1. 331 10:1 compression
2. AFR 185’s
3. Holley Systemax II
4. FTI cam .598/.598
5. Accufab 75mm T-Body w/90mm opening
6. Anderson Powerpipe
7. 90mm Lightning MAF / 30lb injectors
8. BBK 1 5/8 unequal length shorties
9. Magnaflow Cali legal X-pipe (4 CATs)
10. Trickflow 1.6 hydraulic RR’s
11. AOD W/lentech street terminator valve body trans (C4 is being built right now)
12. 4.10’s
13. UCC rebuilt the converter

this combo only made 311hp / 305tq

See less See more
#57 ·
Finally made it back out today with new transmission, 1 3/4” full length headers, 3” exhaust and fiberglass hatch.

car went a best of 7.00 @ 96 with a 1.47 60’
I was learning the car and getting faster, but the track went away on the last two passes, so I called it a day. 6’s coming soon.

#58 ·
Wow that C4 dropped your times that much. I also have a 331 with a Art Carr AOD, my best time is 7.4

Reactions: Blwn331
#61 · (Edited)
Tony, they are Jegs or Summit knock offs. Fronts have brand new MT sportsman tires on them. I switched to MT ET front runners as well. They are for sale. If interested the fronts are available now. The rears might be a little while and they are Jegs. I bought the fronts used and the tears brand new. Let me know if interested. Might push me to get the tears sooner. 🙂

#65 ·
So I will be back out there this weekend. I just installed a set of 4.30’s a spool (8lbs) with 35 spline axles. I also bought some bogarts with ET front runners. Between wheels/tires and spool I’m saving 33.3lbs of unsprung weight. Also threw some Strange double adjustable shocks on the rear.

6’s or bust! Lol

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Tire Automotive tire
Tire Automotive tire Wheel Auto part Vehicle

#70 ·
Well I set a new personal best in the car today on my first pass. Car was running good, but new transmission locked up on me so it was bitter sweet. Goal with the car was 6’s. Without touching the engine I took this car from 9’s to 6’s. I’m pretty happy with that.

6.97 @ 96.5

View attachment 1066937 View attachment 1066938
Great job! What brand headers did you go with?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.