Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently decided to make this a drag race only car. I’m looking to squeeze every bit of power out of it without doing any port work or swapping the cam. Open to suggestions on what to change. I know the exhaust has to go. I was thinking of doing a 1 5/8 full length header to Dyno Max race bullets dumped. Thoughts?

1. 331 10:1 compression
2. AFR 185’s
3. Holley Systemax II
4. FTI cam .598/.598
5. Accufab 75mm T-Body w/90mm opening
6. Anderson Powerpipe
7. 90mm Lightning MAF / 30lb injectors
8. BBK 1 5/8 unequal length shorties
9. Magnaflow Cali legal X-pipe (4 CATs)
10. Trickflow 1.6 hydraulic RR’s
11. AOD W/lentech street terminator valve body trans (C4 is being built right now)
12. 4.10’s
13. UCC rebuilt the converter

this combo only made 311hp / 305tq

·
Registered
602 Posts
2. AFR 185’s (11r190 heads)
3. Holley Systemax II
4. FTI cam .598/.598
6. Anderson Powerpipe
8. BBK 1 5/8 unequal length shorties (1 3/4 long tubes)
9. Magnaflow Cali legal X-pipe (4 CATs) save the 4 cats and run a catless h pipe or x pipee
11. AOD W/lentech street terminator valve body trans (C4 is being built right now) Swap the C4 for the AOD
12. 4.10’s swap to 4.30s

·
Premium Member
2,710 Posts
Why would you swap out the smaller lighter C4 for a bigger heavier trans. It takes more HP to spin the AOD. He wants to go faster, not slower. I would put 1.7 rockers on that cam.

Reactions: tony91723

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
add the almighty b303 cam!
that would definitely help.
I know im going to get blasted for that lol!

yes get rid of the cats, and I think that you might need a different converter.

Also i agree with the weight of a c4 vs aod. if you're only using 3 speeds.....

Maybe look into a glide swap

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
3. Holley Systemax II
4. FTI cam .598/.598
6. Anderson Powerpipe
9. Magnaflow Cali legal X-pipe (4 CATs) save the 4 cats and run a catless h pipe or x pipee
11. AOD W/lentech street terminator valve body trans (C4 is being built right now) Swap the C4 for the AOD
12. 4.10’s swap to 4.30s
Dude I’ve been out of the game so long lol yea I’m swapping exhaust, but I was unsure of primary size. I see it debated a lot. Especially on a car with this power range. I guess what I lack in TQ I’ll make up for in gear. Mike’s is building me an Ultimate C4, should be ready in a few weeks. I’m racing Saturday, so I’ll have to pay attention to trap rpm.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Why would you swap out the smaller lighter C4 for a bigger heavier trans. It takes more HP to spin the AOD. He wants to go faster, not slower. I would put 1.7 rockers on that cam.
I mentioned I was swapping it in my post. He was just saying yes go thru with the swap, but it looks like it’s backwards.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
add the almighty b303 cam!
that would definitely help.
I know im going to get blasted for that lol!

yes get rid of the cats, and I think that you might need a different converter.

Also i agree with the weight of a c4 vs aod. if you're only using 3 speeds.....

Maybe look into a glide swap
I won’t be swapping in a B-Cam, but definitely getting rid of cats next. The C4 is already being built. Yes I will be getting a new converter. I always use UCC. I’m pretty sure the unported AFR’s peak @ .600 lift, which is right where this cam is with the 1.6’s. I don’t think switching to 1.7 RR’s is going to help.

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
I think the B303 cam was a joke.

Anyway, When I read your list of parts and then saw your output, I cringed. That's a pretty fair amount of money for those results. I have a similar engine but with less compression and a TF intake and a AFM cam that puts another 40hp and almost 50ft-lbs to the wheels with a T5. Does the AOD really eat that much more hp than a T5?

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think the B303 cam was a joke.

Anyway, When I read your list of parts and then saw your output, I cringed. That's a pretty fair amount of money for those results. I have a similar engine but with less compression and a TF intake and a AFM cam that puts another 40hp and almost 50ft-lbs to the wheels with a T5. Does the AOD really eat that much more hp than a T5?
I believe it does have to do with the AOD and shorties with 4 Cats. At least I’m hoping that’s the issue. Also I think the tune is a bit fat. 12.4 A/F across the board.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
b cam was a joke but maybe it wasn't? lol

if the cam is ground for 1.6 rockers, that's what you use
You never know lol
I’ve been out of the game for 10 years now and honestly was completely disconnected. I forgot a lot of **** that I knew. I was recently looking for SBFtech and realized it’s there, but it’s not. Then I did a search asking if it was done and some posts came up talking about everyone moved to Bookface and now it’s just a bunch of punks spitting BS. I thought maybe you were one of those lol J/K

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
3. Holley Systemax II
4. FTI cam .598/.598
6. Anderson Powerpipe
12. 4.10’s swap to 4.30s
Why run a mid pipe? Why not just put bullets on the end of the collectors and dump it? Once I get the new trans the operating range is going to be pretty high. I don’t think it will miss any tq loss, but should gain up top.
Thoughts?

·
Registered
602 Posts
You are correct. I wrote that without proof reading. Swap the C4 in and get rid of the AOD.

Also will this car be trailered? I did add race bullets years ago to my old setup and i didn't feel any seat of the pants difference..only effects I noticed was noise.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You are correct. I wrote that without proof reading. Swap the C4 in and get rid of the AOD.

Also will this car be trailered? I did add race bullets years ago to my old setup and i didn't feel any seat of the pants difference..only effects I noticed was noise.
Yes, I finally got a trailer after all these years. Not to good at backing it up yet lol
That is how I had my exhaust set up on the orange car. That set up was recommended by the folks at SBFtech. Almost everything that group suggested to me made my car faster. I wish the forums were still active F Facebook. I’ve never opened an account and never will.
Now I just need to decide on primary size. Maybe I will email Ed Curtis and get his thoughts since he did the cam.

Tony do you know Anthony? (99Mystic) He coming to San Diego tomorrow to go with me to Barona. It’s supposed to be 100* 😡

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I do remember him He had the carbed cobra. One day I'll have to make the drive out there. Good luck
Yup that’s him. Thanks.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Not saying I know what to tell you to do but it seems that your motor is 40-50 HP short of where it should be. Have you had it tuned?

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Not saying I know what to tell you to do but it seems that your motor is 40-50 HP short of where it should be. Have you had it tuned?
The tuner sucks. He left the car with 12.4 A/F across the board. I’m going to get it retuned after I change the exhaust parts out.
FYI: I spoke with Ed Curtis and he said that since this car is drag only now the car isn’t going to miss the low end Tq and recommended 1 3/4 long tubes, 3” universal X-pipe and Flowmaster outlaws.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts