Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I have a 91 GT full weight, stock suspension with 26x9x15 hoosier slicks in the back at 14 psi on this pass. I am running the wrong torque converter I know, but I am looking for suggestions on what to buy to improve my times and any tips at all, as well as gears. Trans is a 4r70w currently running a 4000 stall, footbraking at 2000 on the tree. I am running 3.73 gears. I just feel it's a little slower than it should be and I'm probably losing a lot of my midrange powerband with this converter. Still want it streetable just want to pick some time up. See image attached for slip. Thank you :)

Engine setup is:
336 CI (.060 overbore 331)
Trickflow 170 heads
Trickflow Track Heat Intake
Trickflow Stage 2 Cam
1.6 Rockers
75mm TB and 80mm MAF
42lb injectors
BBK shorty 1 5/8 headers with offroad x pipe and mac pro dumps for exhaust

Stock computer tuned with Moates Quarterhorse
TCI Trans controller

Attachments

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
Frankly, I think it's running pretty well for what it is. The biggest issue I see is mild 302-sized components on a 336. When I ran a 306/TW 170 heads/ TF Street Intake and Lunati 51014, I think the best I managed was a 12.6 at 106 - probably 100-200 lbs heavier than you or more. I wouldn't mess with the converter at this point. I'd put a different intake on it and see what happens. I don't think I've ever recommended one, but your car is screaming for a Holley Systemax EFI intake. That cam isn't the greatest choice, either. Cam+intake will possibly get you high 11's with your current converter/gears. Giving the heads even a good tootsie roll job is worth about 15 cfm. That's not something I heard, that's something I did and then paid to flow them.

Do all 3, and get it down to about 2,900 lbs and you might tickle high 10's.

Reactions: hammy
1 - 2 of 2 Posts