Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
8.2 @ 88mph 1/8 mile. Crappy 2.1 sixty .
26 Mickey T street tires
Car bogged off line, ( think I need jet exts.) Then spun before it got moving .
Plan on having 28" slicks next time out.
Setup:
306 ,canfield 192 heads, vic jr intake , tfs 2 cam, 750 dp, 4:88 gears, powerglide, unknown stall but on the trans brake it stalls at 5 grand.

Lakewood susp all around , uppers and lowers. This was really just a thrown together combo.

Thoughts on potential ?

·
Registered
367 Posts
A lot of more knowledgeable guys on here than me, but sounds like some shock adjustments are needed to b help keep the tires planted. Also, I have always thought of a power glide being more for high HP cars. Do you make enough power to be working with only 2 gears?

Overall, considering the combo and 60ft, the times sound fairly decent.

Joe

·
Premium Member
2,572 Posts
So, are you leaving on the trans brake at 5,000 rpm? Or are you using a 2-step, and if so what rpm are you letting go of the trans brake button? Do you know where the instant center is? What air pressure in the tires? If the tires are too low on pressure, you can dead hook and then go into tire spin.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A lot of more knowledgeable guys on here than me, but sounds like some shock adjustments are needed to b help keep the tires planted. Also, I have always thought of a power glide being more for high HP cars. Do you make enough power to be working with only 2 gears?

Joe
Yeah the shocks may be bad.they are older 50/50s. Probably going to get some strange single adjustable. And for the glide, I got it cheap and the plan is to bracket race. Thus consistent. I've read and been told the same thing about glides needing the higher hp, but I've also been told its a myth by knowledgeable people. Who knows .

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Joe
So, are you leaving on the trans brake at 5,000 rpm? Or are you using a 2-step, and if so what rpm are you letting go of the trans brake button? Do you know where the instant center is? What air pressure in the tires? If the tires are too low on pressure, you can dead hook and then go into tire spin.
First two passes off foot brake. Last pass off stall at 5 grand with tire pressure at 20lbs. I have a msd 6Al box , not sure if it has the 2 step. What exactly does the 2 step do? And no, dnt know the instant center. One of the things I need to get sorted out. Thanks .

·
Premium Member
2,572 Posts
A two step is a rev limiter. As an example, in my car the converter will stall to around 5,500 rpm. I have the 2-step set to 2,600 rpm. So when I stage the car and hold the trans brake button, with the gas pedal matted to the floor, the engine is rev limited to 2,600 rpm. When I release the trans brake button, the converter flashes to 5,500 rpm and off I go.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A two step is a rev limiter. As an example, in my car the converter will stall to around 5,500 rpm. I have the 2-step set to 2,600 rpm. So when I stage the car and hold the trans brake button, with the gas pedal matted to the floor, the engine is rev limited to 2,600 rpm. When I release the trans brake button, the converter flashes to 5,500 rpm and off I go.
Oh ok I got you. What is the advantage to that as opposed to just going off at 5500?

·
Premium Member
2,572 Posts
Oh ok I got you. What is the advantage to that as opposed to just going off at 5500?
Getting the converter to "flash" can have an impact on how hard or soft the tires are hit on launch. A torque converter is a torque multiplier. Having the converter flash or not will effect that function.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
UPDATE
changes : jet extensions , mt bracket radial slicks 28 10.5 15 (seem to be awesome tires)

2.4 60ft
8.6 @ 89mph about 6000-6100
13.0 @ 108 mph about 6700-6800. MPH seems low to me.
Car is hooking and then falling on its face at launch . My afr gauge is reading 11.0-12.0 @ low rpm / part throttle cruise . Goes up to 13.5-14.0 at mid rpm / cruise and then way lean @ WOT.
Trying to figure it all out. Hoping to get another test n tune next wed with a two step and see if I can get the carb sorted out. Any guidance would be appreciated, thanks !

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
Make sure your ignition system is really up to the task. I've had carb bogs I've chased for a long time only to find out it was the ignition.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Make sure your ignition system is really up to the task. I've had carb bogs I've chased for a long time only to find out it was the ignition.
Didn't think about that. What's the best way to go about checking that?

·
Registered
367 Posts
Mph is there for a high 7 second, mid 12 second run. Your 60ft is killing you.

Joe

·
Registered
912 Posts
You have a fuel,or ignition system problem. Based on AFR's & how it's behaving.. I'm going to guess fuel delivery/system. What does the fuel + ignition system consist of & have you checked timing at various RPM's??

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
Didn't think about that. What's the best way to go about checking that?
Great question. On my Capri I figured it out by swapping carbs with no improvement, then I bought a new ignition system and the problem went away. I have a 69 Torino GT vert with the same problem and haven't yet resolved it, but the swapnostics effort isn't complete yet.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You have a fuel,or ignition system problem. Based on AFR's & how it's behaving.. I'm going to guess fuel delivery/system. What does the fuel + ignition system consist of & have you checked timing at various RPM's??
Msd everything .6al box. I'm thinking it's my float level. I have the level set where it splashes over when u rock the car. I was told it needs to be raised a bit for wot launches . Hoping to get out there on wed.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I don't think that minor change in float level is going to make any difference.
Well I hope you are wrong lol. On the street, with street tires, it will just smoke the tires off the trans brake. At the track, when it hooks it bogs. Seems like a lean bog.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts