Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So at work talking about builds ? And budget building 302 on-3 it.Or 351 with a set of heads keeping the cost down .No adding turbo to 351 just what's yours chioce.

351 gives you more room to grow .Is probably easier to maybe work on and raw power.And can allway

On3 plenty to break the stock block and a nice quite sound .

So I think this is a good ? What whould you guys do max power is not necessarily the key best street light and fun car to drive with the least amount of problems doing it for $3500.or less.

·
Registered
418 Posts
302 with the on 3 turbo kit.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I say 351 buy a decent re built short block for about $2800. With balencer .That's close to the same as on 3 kit with extras. Give or take a few hundred here on either side .That 351 should run flawlessly with a great amount of street power and be quick of the street light .

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
351 with gt40 heads and on3 turbo.

The 302 block is too weak.
A 351W with GT40 heads (if you already have them, don't hunt for them with this project) will make an easy 300 hp at the crank. 8 psi from an On3 will make that into 450 hp and the block will be plenty strong at that level. Put almost any decent aftermarket aluminum head on it and you will jump at least 50 N/A hp and you end up well over 600 hp on 12 psi with pretty much the same reliability.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I have a spare set with 1.7 rockers.So if I'm pulling heads on a 302 to put arp and head gaskets I'm sure as heck throwing on some 40s.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Kind of difficult to answer with no goals, application or defined budget.

If it's strictly about power for the money a budget turbocharged 302 will make more than a budget naturally aspirated 351.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Well I have a spare set with 1.7 rockers.So if I'm pulling heads on a 302 to put arp and head gaskets I'm sure as heck throwing on some 40s.
Since you have them, use them. You can probably hit 1 hp/cubic inch naturally aspirated (in boost friendly form). So let's say you have 350 crank hp. Add a mild very pump gas friendly 8psi and boom you are in the 550 horsepower neighborhood for reasonable money. With iron GT40's (from what I've read) conservative is the path to longevity. Conservative boost, compression, ignition, and safe fuel delivery, ie...don't run near the edge, and you will make good power without lifting the heads.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts