Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1983 Ford Fox Body Mustang GLX Convertible
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1983 Mustang Convertible which is swapped with a 302. I’m not sure on what exhaust to get, but I’m looking for a classic 302 sound. I want a classic muscle car sound but not something that’s really loud like a straight pipe exhaust. I’m not concerned about performance, it’s just a street car. Reply with either your suggestion of exhaust or your own exhaust set up. I don’t know much about exhausts so if you can reply with advice that would be great too.

Before I posted I thought of going with a stock h-pipe with high flow cats or Flowmaster 40s.

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
You'll have to convert to a dual exhaust. You'll need an 86+ dual hump crossmember and the require hangers to install an 86+ dual exhaust on a foxbody. At that point, you are free to pick any of the 86+ Mustang exhaust setups. You'll need new headers unfortunately as I don't believe pre-86 headers bolt up to the 86+ H-pipe (I know the 85's have a weird flapper in the pass side header).

I'd say go off-road h-pipe but you can't find any. How loud are you looking to go? You can go high flow cats and flows, or something like high flow cats and borla pro XS if looking to keep it somewhat tame. Sky is the limit. Hop on youtube and listen to clips. A lot of folks are running off-road h-pipes so keep that in mind. A set of cats will knock it down, but 2 high flow cats will be louder than a stock 4-catted 86+ h-pipe. Good luck

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
On my 86, I ran BBK unequal shorts into the stock 4-cat factory mid-pipe into Flomaster 3-chamber cat backs (can't recall the retail name). That was a pretty mellow set-up sound-wise. No drone or obnoxious noise. Recently, I upgraded the motor to a 347 stroker, run RCI (Accufab) 1.75" mid-length headers into a off-road x modified with free-flowing cats and out through Flomaster FX straight through mufs. Jeez, those are too loud for me. On my 01 Cobra, I ran some Borlas that met my needs for both no drone and great WOT sound. I'd recommend the Borlas.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts