Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this in the lounge here a while back with limited response.

Im thinking of getting a older nova, like a 63 to a 65 and put some sort of 302/351 based combo in it. Ill probley use a 6-speed and an 8.8. I know that ill have to use a rear sump oil pan, and make some motor mounts, tranny monts and some wiring. I looked on the web for some pics of others that may have done the same but couldn't find any. Does anyone know of anyone that has done this? Im just wanting something differnt than everyone else.

·
Registered
502 Posts
wow i tried searching it for you too and couldnt find anything. I love the early nova styles and I think a N/A 351 would be awesome swap to do. Hopefully you find something out as Ill stick around to watch the thread.

The early cars have a lot of space to work with, so do it just how people shove LS1s in cars, mock to fit. Motor mounts/ tranny mounts/ wiring will all need to be done of course. But that should be it. When you get the 8.8 in just check pinion angle. I doubt you would need to cut the firewall at all. Just some thoughts I have.

Ryan

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ya thats perty much what i was thinking! My thoughts were if everyone else is puting LSx motors in everything(cough cough Fox bodys cough cough) why cant i put a Windsor in something??? Initialy i thought about putting a 302 or 351 in a late 80's cammaro or even a mid 90's but i think the Nova will be more fun to build.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I say do it!!

·
Registered
502 Posts
I think it would be great!!!

you see awesome GM motors in awesome ford cars, why not put an awesome ford motor in an awesome GM car??

I love the old school cars whether they are Ford, Chevy, Mopar. My first car was a 73 Torino I got Christmas of 2005 for my 16th b-day and I loved driving that car. Got people turning their heads everywhere I went. Thumps up at stop lights, people checking it out at gas stations.

Hopefully you choose something to do with it!

·
Registered
3,300 Posts
if i was to own a chevy it would be the old school nova...like a 63 nova 2..2 door, with a 347 in it

·
Registered
837 Posts
A 302 based set up would be killer from a weight savings standpoint. A 351 based combo would be a waste of time.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Cool idea and I can understang wanting to be different but there is a reason why people are dropping LS motors in everything.:D

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Because they can...? Just like i can.... but refuse to follow everyone like sheep lol

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Old school nova are cool..If you dont do 351W get a LS1 they cheap too. Keep us posted on this build.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Cool, thanks. Any links or names i could search for? Ive been researching this build tring to figure out exactly what motor/tranny combo i want to do(i know i want a windsor based setup) but havent seen anything on suspension yet.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That is awesome, is it yours? Any tips, tricks, any info at all will be helpful!!!

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
it isnt mine, but i have seen it run, its amazing, Tydo Race cars built it, id contact them about it

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
The old Nova's like you are refering have a space under the hood very similar to the old 65-66 mustangs, falcons, etc. They are almost identical under the hood. I had a 351W in a 1965 falcon and it was an extremely tight fit. Headers were a nightmare. A 302 or 302 based stroker would be the best fit of anything. The ones I've worked on with sbc's were a nightmare with headers also.
This being said, a sbc, windsor, or LS based motor is going to be a pita in a mid 60s Nova since they are all similar in width.

I personally would do a 347.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ya i was thinking of doing a 347 with something like a Novi 1000 or 1500 something small like that, a T-56 and a built 8.8. but all these ideas are well just ideas at the moment till i can save the money to start building lol

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Ya i was thinking of doing a 347 with something like a Novi 1000 or 1500 something small like that, a T-56 and a built 8.8. but all these ideas are well just ideas at the moment till i can save the money to start building lol
Unless you already have a good 60's Nova body, you might change your mind about the idea when you see what one cost. A decent body is going to cost at least $8000 if your lucky. Prices on 60's muscle cars are through the roof and are never going to come down much.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Unless you already have a good 60's Nova body, you might change your mind about the idea when you see what one cost. A decent body is going to cost at least $8000 if your lucky. Prices on 60's muscle cars are through the roof and are never going to come down much.
Really? 8,000 if i buy one thats already ready to drive, with drive train and all, but i dont need any of the drive trian(no motor, trans or rear end, but it would be nice if one was there so that it can be moved) that all i really need. Plus since i live in Arizona, finding clean older cars is relitivitly easy:

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/cto/1539957361.html

http://tucson.craigslist.org/cto/1543549698.html

http://flagstaff.craigslist.org/cto/1534267488.html

http://albuquerque.craigslist.org/cto/1548538002.html

http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/cto/1541346047.html

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
One of those cars is a 4 door...

Still, those prices aren't bad. You won't find one around here for that cheap.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts