Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok guys i have a 98gt and want some opinions on which gears to get 373 or 410......what are the ups and downs of each

·
Registered
636 Posts
Unless you've done a headswap (or are planning one in the near future) I would go with the 3.73's. You're 98's motor doesn't like much past 5k on the tach with those restrictive stock heads.

Now, if you upgrade to PI heads or SVO heads, stand back partner!! You'll want the 4.10's like I've got. I drive mine daily in the summer at speeds of 75-80mph on the highway and still get 22mpg. Man does it feel good!! The motor just pulls like an S.O.B. in every gear. It really woke the car up.

Anyway, just MHO.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Exactly what he said.

I have 3.73's and have driven one's with 4.10's. Yes, I could feel a difference but the 3.73 are better suited to our 96-98 heads.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
some people are tellin me to go with 410 and others are sayin 373's....im still undecidedand id ont wanna spend the money on a bad decision....im afraid that the 373's wont do much for the car

·
Registered
906 Posts
trust me. Unless you are getting PI heads.....get 3.73's. PI heads work well with 4.10's.

you will see...your heads will be tickin like crazy if you get 4.10's in a matter of time.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
98Roush said:
trust me. Unless you are getting PI heads.....get 3.73's. PI heads work well with 4.10's.

you will see...your heads will be tickin like crazy if you get 4.10's in a matter of time.

so my car will handle the 373's with no probs?...........and how much harder will the car pull after the gears

·
Registered
906 Posts
I don't think my a mustang really ever starts "pulling" hard until you get a power adder.

The 4.10's pull pretty damn hard in 3rd and 4rth in a 99+GT i must say though.

The 3.73's make a noticeable difference. They are fun as hell until you get used to them, then you won't even remember what the old ones were like.

You also need a speedcal to recompensate for the speedo. Yes, they work in our 96-98 GT's. $80-100 and DO NOT get a speedo gear. They don't work accurately and shred over time.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
98Roush said:
I don't think my a mustang really ever starts "pulling" hard until you get a power adder.

The 4.10's pull pretty damn hard in 3rd and 4rth in a 99+GT i must say though.

The 3.73's make a noticeable difference. They are fun as hell until you get used to them, then you won't even remember what the old ones were like.

You also need a speedcal to recompensate for the speedo. Yes, they work in our 96-98 GT's. $80-100 and DO NOT get a speedo gear. They don't work accurately and shred over time.
damn i was looking for a nice gain wih gears but i guess its not what i expected....

·
Registered
509 Posts
People with 96-98 Cars should not waste their money on bolt ons. First thing they should do is save some money and swap the heads. This is the only way you will start to satisfy yourself. Because then everytihng will build ontop of that.

Jonathan

·
Registered
451 Posts
re

My full bolt on geared/exhaust 96 would still lost to stock 99+.. I performed the headswapped and instantly dropped .5 seconds at our 1000' track. Now I just need the 4.10's to take advantage of the swap.. 3.73's no worky anymore

·
Registered
906 Posts
AMEN

96-98 BONE STOCK with $1500 headswap will beat 99+ GT's

96-98 with EVERY BOLT ON for $1500 will loose badly to 99+GT's

96-98 with $1500 headswap and $1500 bolt ons= ~13 seconds

·
Registered
329 Posts
96-98 BONE STOCK with $1500 headswap will beat 99+ GT's
Kinda odd that you say that you can beat a 99+ with the head swap then turn around and say...
96-98 with $1500 headswap and $1500 bolt ons= ~13 seconds
When my 99+ already runs in the 13's in stock trim.
I'm not bustin your ball$ and saying that your wrong. I just feel that you may be alittle off.
Yes a PI swapped -99 is quicker. So if I'm already running in the 13's with my 99+, then ya'll should (and I've seen 'em myself) be runnin' in the mid/low 13's right?

I must admit I'm kinda jealous of you pre 99ers. If only I could turn $1500 into that much power while remaining N/A:lol:

·
Registered
451 Posts
re

Well pre headswap I had full bolt ons.. I ran a 12.0 in our local 1000' track.. Post swap 11.60. This is un-tuned and w/ stock manifolds. Headers are a big issue with the swap.. so much air flow but the stock manifolds don't compensate. Sure we can be low 13 second cars with the swap and full bolt ons... but with full bolt ons and suspension the 99+ are busting 12.90's!!!

·
Registered
906 Posts
don't worry, my balls are made of titanium and can't be busted. LOL, just kidding around.

Hey, I'm just trying to give this kid/guy what he wants to hear. Sometimes in these posts, people get mean and defensive. I am just trying to be that little white angel that sits on your shoulder and says...do it heheheheeh.

I remember getting my 3.73's....i though they were badazzzz. Gears are great!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Chosing the right gear depends on what you use the car for.
If you drag the car=4.10s
Road race=3.73's
Daily driver, concerned about gas milage/no thought of racing it=Stay stock.
Occasional drag, Occasional road race, daily driver, have fun putzing around=3.73's

It's been fun so far.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts