Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 308 with trickflow heads, eldebrock intakes and so on, right now Im running a 26 inch tall tire in the back with 3.73 gears, would a switch to 4.10 or 30's be worth the switch?

·
Registered
871 Posts
5 speed or auto ? cam? which edelbrock...s....?, exhaust? suspension? intended use of car? track or street if both where u want to perform best? which trick flows? what kinda power does car make? what rpm? Slicks? drag radial? street tire?

More to it than what listed lol we can help just need some info bro.

·
Registered
540 Posts
3.73's with a 26" tire work well, but as Gonemad stated it depends on alot of things.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
5 speed or auto ? cam? which edelbrock...s....?, exhaust? suspension? intended use of car? track or street if both where u want to perform best? which trick flows? what kinda power does car make? what rpm? Slicks? drag radial? street tire?

More to it than what listed lol we can help just need some info bro.
Haha yeah sorry about that, It was in my sig and I forgot that I had changed it. Its a 308 long rod engine. 10.5 to 1 , custom grind cam, not sure of the specs lost the cam card. trickflow 170's ported to 180's. performer 2 intakes, both ported, 30lb injectors, 75mm tb, 76mm mass air flow, 1 5/8 long tube headers, 2.5 inch o/r h pipe hooker maxflow mufflers into dumps. no ac, no smog. t-5, mainly street this year, mostly track next year. I perfer the car to perform best on the track. Stock suspesnsion other than lowering springs and sub frame connectors. Power im not sure, haven't had it on the dyno, it really needs a tune. I assume around 300-320 rwhp the way it is. 6200-6500 rpm engine. Nitto 555r DR.

·
Registered
933 Posts
If it's a stock t5 I would go 4.10's with the 26's you'll want to shift about 4-5 hundred rpm above peak power and trap a little over peak as well. If your using a shift light program it to come on about 600 rpm before you want to shift. For the simple reason by the time you see the light and actually push clutch and pull shifter you'll be over your rpm. I learned this from mr Hemminger if you can program shift points for every gear you can get closer with the light in the higher gears because the shifts will not come as fast.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
If it's a stock t5 I would go 4.10's with the 26's you'll want to shift about 4-5 hundred rpm above peak power and trap a little over peak as well. If your using a shift light program it to come on about 600 rpm before you want to shift. For the simple reason by the time you see the light and actually push clutch and pull shifter you'll be over your rpm. I learned this from mr Hemminger if you can program shift points for every gear you can get closer with the light in the higher gears because the shifts will not come as fast.
thats why you put a chip in there or program the light to come on right before you need it to shift..:rofl:... I've been doin it for years in both cars..

·
Premium Member
1,015 Posts
going from 3.73's to 4.10's raises the rpm at a given speed by around 200 rpm. it will wind up quicker..but will spin more(less traction)taking off. 3.73's are good for a daily driver, but the 4.10's will work too. you'll be able to take off from the light feeling like you have a bigger motor(more torque multiplication in lower gears). with a 4.30's, you can get er goin as long as you have some sticky tires. I use to leave my boss's viper at the light till 60 mph! it was a 88 GT 5sp 4.30's American racer G-60 DOT dirt tires and usual bolt-ons.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts