Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At what point would you switch from 28 to 31 splines or 31 to 33 splines etc. I'm looking at building a engine pushing around 800 to 900 hp and an AOD.

Could I run 31 spline axles or would I have to use 33 spline? My problem is I want to use a detroit locker (driven on the street) and they don't make them in 33 splines. That means 35 spline. What do you all think?

·
Registered
228 Posts
My Strange 28 spline came to an end when rwhp approached 550/600. The carrier came apart on a pass, so it gave me to opportunity to upgrade. The axles were definitely starting to show a twist. I ended up stepping up to a set of Dutchman 35 Spline, a new Strange Nodular Carrier and a new spool. I also don't think a locker will handle what you have in mind.
I went to your site to look at how the back end was set up, but had a hard time seeing how the back end was set up today. With your HP goal I would assume you are shooting for hi 8's low 9's?

Ron

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yes, my goal is low 9's. The reason I wanted the locker was that I drive the car to the track. It's a 140 mile round trip. I heard that people do drive cars with spools on the street, but doing 65 on the freeway and making a turn has me concerned.

Is there a difference between the Strange Nodular case and the Strange Iron case?

I'm also planning on a new driveshaft too, but haven't decided on a 1330 or a 1350 Ujoint .

·
Registered
228 Posts
Low 9's will take about 800 rwhp, and having said that, how is the back end set up now? I don't think you can get away without using a spool. You might send Tractech an e-mail and see what they are rated for. I see you installed a 10 point already, so I guess you are ready to get that certified? My first time I did not pass and had to rip the entire cage back out and start over. With the new cage completed I went through chassis certification last April, and again they were real thorough, to the point of having me sit in the car, checking to make sure there was 3 inches of head clearance below the main hoop. At 6'3" the seat platform had to be lowered. I did have to make a few minor changes but I did get the 3 year sticker. On the axles, go for the 35. It may be a bit overkill, but they will be "bulletproof".

If you have any specific questions on the certification you can e-mail me at [email protected]

Ron

·
Registered
228 Posts
I think you are right waterpog..I just checked Moser, and they go only up to 31 for an 8.8.

My mistake..you learn stuff every day.

Ron

·
Registered
291 Posts
I know strange has 33's for the 8.8, dunno about moser. They actually have a kit with the spool, 33's c-clip eliminators and the rest (no gears) for ~$650 I think it was.

Not sure if that's the way for me to go or if I should do 9" housing ends or just go all out and get one of their bolt in 9" rearends.

too many options for now...not enough time....or money :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts