Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here is the deal. I am in the middle of collecting parts for my 5 lug swap. Got the wheels, tires, spindles, hubs....

For the axles. How necessary is an upgrade to a 31 splined axle on a strictly open track car? That will add considerable cost to the upgrade as I will have to go with an aftermarket diff. My 28 spline moser axles and rebuilt T-lok seem to handle things just fine as is.....

Car is a track car and will not be drag raced, no dropped clutch launches on slicks, makes about 450 RWHP, might step up to a real set of RR tires in the future.

31 spline?? Really?

Also, I am going to be using the 96 up spindles with my fox control arms. The Steeda X2 balljoints will fit the stock fox arms, right?

·
Registered
591 Posts
I believe it should hold fine if you arent launching hard

·
Registered
33 Posts
If you look at the torque limit calc for axles on moser's site it says that the figures are for drag launches so if all you're doing is street tire racing I'm sure they will hold up.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
You can find a decent/use 31 spline diff from an F150 truck. I think when I found one they were like 50-75$. Then just get a Cobra re-pack kit for 100-ish.

But like you said, it's certainly not necessary for your application, but there's always that "what if" or "shoulda" that might be in the back of your head down the road.

After going through 2 stock rear ends in drag racing, I just bit the bullet and went 31 spline.

I guess it's all in the level of insurance you want.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts