Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought 275/40/17 nitto DR for my cobra. My question is can you but this size tire on an 8 inch wheel and if so will it look stupid. My second question is if you have pics of this setup please post them ... Thanks Sam

·
Registered
545 Posts
I have Nitto 555R 275/40/17 on my stock 17X8 wheel. It looks phat!

·
Registered
545 Posts
Ralph Greene said:
It may not be the ideal set up for good handling (wide tire narrow wheel), but it works good on the strip at low pressures. MHO
That was not asked but you are correct. I feel like my rear end is a little sloppy now. But it is likely the result of the less stiff side walls and the side walls not being straight up and down. The 275/40 is should be on a 9.5" wheel.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
sam266 said:
I just bought 275/40/17 nitto DR for my cobra. My question is can you but this size tire on an 8 inch wheel and if so will it look stupid. My second question is if you have pics of this setup please post them ... Thanks Sam
I E-mailed Nitto asking this very question, but have received NO REPLY in 4 days.... :mad:

Nitto has a chart which shows 275/40-17's going on a 9" rim minimum, with a 9.5" preferred. When I called Discount Tire Direct to order the tires, I asked if the 275's could be mounted on 17x8" rims & they said "YES" (as many other people have said too). But when I mentioned the Nitto site, suddenly the Discount tire guy said "Yeah, you need 9.5" rims for the 275's", but he was trying to sell me the 9.5" rims, so it's hard to know what is correct....

So while the 275/40-17 will PHYSICALLY fit on a 17x8" rim, will you get the best performance out of the tires???
I can't get an answer to that question...

Does that make it clear as mud????

:idunno: :idunno:

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Neither Nitto or a tire dealer is going to recommend a tire/wheel combination not approved or recommended by the manufacturer. The 275X40X17 DR on 8" wheel can be a little tougher to mount, and handling suffers quite a bit.

However, drag racers have discovered that combination works well at the strip at low pressure because by keeping the tire beads (sp) close together with the 8" wheel, the center of the tire tread tends to stay flat at low pressure (as opposed to going convex) which is what happens with the 9-9 1/2 wheel at low pressure with their bead spread out. However, the recommended wheel size works much better for handling at more normal inflation pressures.

This is not my origional thinking as this is what the BFG DR racing rep told me, as he explained to me why a narrow wheel wide tire works good at the strip, and is why he recommeded me too use 15X8 wheel with some new 275X50X15 Dr's I just bought.

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
FWIW... I use 275/40/17 Nitto DR's on a 9.5" rim, and my best 60' on them is 1.825 on about 17 PSI. Also, vrtical on here runs the same DR's on his stock 17 x 8" rims, with about the same tires pressure, and his best 60' is the same. So, with some stickier tires, the more narrow wheel/wider tire may be more optimal, but with Nitto DR's, I really don't think you'll be able to tell a difference, based on comparing my 60' times with Doug's anyway. Hope this helps.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts