Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys, ok, so I had planned to get a set of TFS 205cnc heads, but can't seem to find any affordable ones. I feel these heads would keep port velocity up for cylinder filling.

I have located a set of 225 "R" series heads. Are they TOO big for my 363 sbf?? This is mostly a track car, but does see the street once a week, so it still needs to make good torque (port velocity) in the lower/mid RPM's, not just all balls to the wall power. I Dont want have an engine that has a narrow power band of like 6000-7000 only.

I realize my currewnt cam choice of 580 lift and 236 duation wouyld be too small for the 225 heads, but I would then get a custon probably in the area of .650 lift and 250 duration.
I personally think the 205cnc heads are the best choice, they're just hard to find used and are so dam expensive.

Please help
Chris

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
Hey Guys, ok, so I had planned to get a set of TFS 205cnc heads, but can't seem to find any affordable ones. I feel these heads would keep port velocity up for cylinder filling.

I have located a set of 225 "R" series heads. Are they TOO big for my 363 sbf?? This is mostly a track car, but does see the street once a week, so it still needs to make good torque (port velocity) in the lower/mid RPM's, not just all balls to the wall power. I Dont want have an engine that has a narrow power band of like 6000-7000 only.

I realize my currewnt cam choice of 580 lift and 236 duation wouyld be too small for the 225 heads, but I would then get a custon probably in the area of .650 lift and 250 duration.
I personally think the 205cnc heads are the best choice, they're just hard to find used and are so dam expensive.

Please help
Chris
I'm assuming this is an R blocked big bore 347 to 363 ci setup?

It is a big head for sure, how big of a blower are you going to run? How fast do you want to go? How much compression is the motor?

I am installing a set of AFR 225s with some exhaust port work done. The buddy I got them from had them on his R blocked 363 ci setup with a spider style intake/elbow, big water/inner cooler, and an F3 Procharger. It was a 3200 lbs True 10.5 car that ran 5.10 in the 1/8 and low 8s in the 1/4. I don't know how loose his converter was, but it was an 8500-9000 rpm motor pushing somewhere around 30 lbs of boost through it.

If you get the cam custom done around what you want, I think you'll be OK.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Very good quessing as I'm just wondering the same thing. Currenty I have a 357W but hope to stroke it in the next few years.

·
Registered
360 Posts
with the right cam they are NOT too big. Contact jay allen at camshaft innovations he has always favored the big headed combinations

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, its a 363 Dart, studded everything, MLS Gaskets. 8.7-8.8 Compression Ratio. The car has a stick in it now, but I may switch to an auto for next season. Unfortunately I only have a D1SC right now, and am planning to make roughly 15lbs on the new motor. I am shooting to only spin the motor to around 7000 or so...

I hope to possibly switch to a F1 series next year if I can. I really think the 205's cnc'd will make much more power for my car.

Chris

Smokey1226, I'll get ya the heads if you wanna trade me for a set of TFS 205 cnc heads w/ a 65 CC Chamber.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Those heads on a 363" with a blower, the right cam, AND valvetrain parts would be badass assuming the rest of the combo was also equally matched.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, I would imagine that a custom solid roller would do the trick for my combo. I realize that my D1SC would be "too small" for a 363 w/ those heads on it, but it could always be upgraded next year. Would I be able to use a standard set of rockers with those heads with maybe a girdle?? Or would I HAVE to do a shaft mount??

Chris

·
Registered
988 Posts
I dont think the D1sc is too small, it nearly flows the same cfm as the vortec ysi. How ever with that being said, the supercharger will determine how much power the engine is capable of making. I would guess you will be in the 700rwhp range, and standard rockers should be fine.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ever hear of some one using the TFS R Header flanges and welding them to fit a set of conventional headers??? That would save some money ??

Blown5oh: I plan on 15 lbs for the blower, maybe more, just let er' eat!! Do you think 2.5'' exhaust is too small for it now? should I do a 3'' ??

Chris

·
Registered
6,306 Posts
Can't say that I have. I have the 2" Hooker Supercomps and they fit with the glide and stock K member. There was zero screwing around to get things to line up/fit. My only complaint is the D/S collector hangs really low on them.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Im going to be running the new 190cc TFS Fast as Cast heads on my 408W. Very affordable. Vortech Si trim 12 psi or so. Mostly a track car myself but will see some street duty.

Jay Allen @ Camshaft Innovations set me up with the heads and a custom solid roller cam to match.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I dont think the D1sc is too small, it nearly flows the same cfm as the vortec ysi. How ever with that being said, the supercharger will determine how much power the engine is capable of making. I would guess you will be in the 700rwhp range, and standard rockers should be fine.
X2. Go with the 3" exhaust.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Ever hear of some one using the TFS R Header flanges and welding them to fit a set of conventional headers??? That would save some money ??

Blown5oh: I plan on 15 lbs for the blower, maybe more, just let er' eat!! Do you think 2.5'' exhaust is too small for it now? should I do a 3'' ??

Chris
What do you have for headers now? Its not going to cost much to sell your headers and buy a set of used headers with the correct size primary tubes and collector/bolt pattern for your heads. If you dont have the right size exhaust it will kill a lot of power.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Rio: Any chance you would release the rough cam specs he ground for you??

And yeah, I totally agree the 3'' it the was to go on the exhaust, I already have 3'' tail pipes, just need to make a new H pipe in 3''. I wonder what is a really good muffler to run?? its a subject thats been beat to death, but I think I'm leaving power on the table with flowmaster 40 series mufflers

The problem with finding headers to fit, is that my car is a 94 and not many people make for it, especially not the main company's. I will have a look around to see what I can find though. I just dont want the rpm power range to only be 7000-8000. But it seems like those R heads are the way to go??

Chris

·
Registered
825 Posts
I am gonna be a butthole here but for the love of god would you just contact someone like Jay Allen and have him go over the combo with you. You asked these same questions on multiple boards on multiple occasions. You change directions with the wind.

Just call Jay Allen and he will tell you what parts you need to do what. He has done it for me and countless others. Sometimes the worst thing you can go is come on these boards and listen to the 50 or so comments. Out of the 50 comments 40 of them will be from dreamers, 5 of them from people who read it elsewhere 3 of them who have actually done it, and the remaining 2 are people who actually deal with it all the time.

Just call Jay, it will be money saved in the long run

·
Registered
6,306 Posts
I am gonna be a butthole here but for the love of god would you just contact someone like Jay Allen and have him go over the combo with you. You asked these same questions on multiple boards on multiple occasions. You change directions with the wind.

Just call Jay Allen and he will tell you what parts you need to do what. He has done it for me and countless others. Sometimes the worst thing you can go is come on these boards and listen to the 50 or so comments. Out of the 50 comments 40 of them will be from dreamers, 5 of them from people who read it elsewhere 3 of them who have actually done it, and the remaining 2 are people who actually deal with it all the time.

Just call Jay, it will be money saved in the long run
Best advice so far.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ouch... good call though...

Just want to do this once, not waste my money. I'm just looking for lots of suggestions and help...

Chris

1 - 20 of 25 Posts