Ford Mustang Forums banner

2016 F150 Coyote Swap in a 67 Mustang Fastback

8K views 23 replies 8 participants last post by  strtcar 
#1 ·
I’m new to the coyote world, currently building a 67 Mustang fastback (just took off of the rotisserie), and picked up a super low mileage 2016 F150 coyote. Next step is to get it to fit between the shock towers, and prep the engine for install. Looking for info on parts needed for the install and any key points that would make life easier as I attempt my fist coyote swap. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

#5 ·
Get yourself the service manual, the one from Ford, it will tell you which bolts need to be replaced and which ones can be retained. It also has wiring diagrams. It's possible that the timing order differences are taking into account by the engine wiring harness (if your engine came with the engine harness). You'll need to buy both the Mustang and F150 manuals to compare though. It might be easier to just swap in Mustang cams and engine harness (if different) though.

#6 ·
Thanks, I’ll start with the service manual. I’ve already installed the AJE front K member and trimmed the shock towers, just need to find some headers that will fit. I’m planning to use a Tremec 5 speed with cable clutch, has anyone had clearance issues with the TKO?

#10 ·
I didn't see if you acquired the mustang engine harness, but it's different as well. Then you have to look at the oil filter adaptor as well. There is a lot of small differences that some people don't know. If you plan on the gear change, first ask if you are going to ever put a supercharge on it, or if you ever intend on revving it up to 7k then I would say do the gear change, but make sure you get the correct ones. Ford changed the thickness of the f150 to gt but they are a little different in diameter. So make sure you get the right ones.. gt gears don't fit in f150 housing. Don't know if you read any of my posts but I had to do a lot of research that many people didn't know about, so if you anything pm me, I'm not on as much.

#11 ·
If he switches to Mustang 5.0 pill pump with TSS gears the F150 pump differences shouldn't matter. Right? Or wrong? I don't know, but I am curious.

Can you the 5.0 run the GT500 oil pump? Supposed to be the best OEM pump housing. With the TSS gears it is supposed to be the strongest setup. Last I read anyway.

#12 ·
Didn’t realize the wire harness was also different, I’ll add that to the list. I’ve read the gears are the same in the Gen 2 engines. As far as supercharging, doubtful, but I’ve read of so many gear failures, figured it was cheap insurance while it’s apart and out of the car. I’ve seen many different vendors for gears, wondering if anyone has and any luck or problems with one or the other?

#13 ·
Older mod motor stuff wil not retro fit to the coyote. He can switch to mustang stuff no problem, but I thought I read a while back that there was a slight difference in gear thickness. Maybe that was for gen1's.

You need to look at the oil filter housing you will find two sensors compared to gt's one sensor.

#14 ·
Update... Tasca ford and MMR parts came in, upgraded oil pump gears and crank sprocket. I’ve swapped in the mustang cams, used ARP bolts. Now, it seems the cams are clocked different than the phasers? So I’m guessing the phasers are also different?

#15 ·
Wondering what you ever came up with the phasers? Had a chance last night to really think about it, and it makes sense that they would be a little different, but just wanted to make sure. By the way you didn't forget to change the filters over to the new cams that are located at the front of all of them?

#16 ·
So I talked to the ford tech, they said exhaust phasers were different so I just went ahead and ordered a chain and phaser kit. I’ve got the engine all back together, test fitting the engine in the car this weekend. I rotated the crank and few times and checked the tops of the pistons with a bore scope just in case...

#19 ·
You say you are installing a coyote 5.0 in a '67? Did you trim the shock towers? If so, does the engine fit with the trimmed stock shock towers, and can the stock master cylinder still be used? Or did you buy an aftermarket front suspension? What about steering? How are you going to use a rear sump oil pan like the coyote has with the stock steering linkage?

I have a '69 fastback I'm interested in doing a swap like this, but the only easy solution I have been able to come up with is a mustang II front suspension conversion, or some other aftermarket conversion.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.