Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not that I would mess with a new car (and its warranty...shssh..don't tell the wife), but what are some predictions for a stock 2013 GT500 with simple bolt-ons and a tune (i.e. pulley, chip, tuning, maybe meth kit)? Sorry for my lack of knowledge....not really familiar with what the Shelby setup (ask me anything about the 94-95 cars though:)

Looks like my garage queen is going to end up in another person's garage if this new car comes in for me:)

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised to see 650 to the tires with a pulley, tune and exhaust.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
So we're thinking a 10 second car with bolt-ons? And an 11-second car right off the showroom floor?

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
I'd say so. I think its going to come in around 550 to the tires in stock trim. 550 to the tires in a car that weighs 3800-3900 lbs should be good for 11's all day if it can hook.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'm thinking very close to a 10 second car with just drag tires. 550 rwhp is plenty to run 10's @3800 lbs with a 1.6 60ft.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the replies.

I guess just as a comparison what are the 2012s running with (Hp/trapspeed mostly) with bolt-on (i.e. pulley tune)? The only thing I am concerned with is breakage simply from the weight of the car. Street tires can be that "switch" which can offset it simply by losing traction. With slicks or even drag radials I would be worried with the rear end with that amount of power:)

The wife suggested I get the 2012 last night. She said considering how great the 2013s will be...just think of the discounts the 2012s will be at..hmmm,,,another option I guess..

·
Registered
85 Posts
Thanks for all the replies.

I guess just as a comparison what are the 2012s running with (Hp/trapspeed mostly) with bolt-on (i.e. pulley tune)? The only thing I am concerned with is breakage simply from the weight of the car. Street tires can be that "switch" which can offset it simply by losing traction. With slicks or even drag radials I would be worried with the rear end with that amount of power:)

The wife suggested I get the 2012 last night. She said considering how great the 2013s will be...just think of the discounts the 2012s will be at..hmmm,,,another option I guess..
sounds like you have a keeper.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
I'd hold out for the 2013...

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
I would without a doubt hold off for a 2013. I don't think the savings will be significant enough to overcome the "what if" feeling you'll have for years to come if you get a 2012.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Based off what I know. They have added .4L, a bigger blower, more boost, and more compression. I know most 15psi TVS GT500's with the 8.6:1 and 5.4L motor are making well over 600whp. SO I think 550whp is a MASSIVE underrating. That said, Ford may have this motor MASSIVLY detuned and I would not be surprise if we see 600-625whp with noting but a custom tune. I just cant see a 5.8L tvs charged, higher comp motor running 5+psi over the last gen motor only making 75ish more whp. You can get 75 extra hp on the current stock blower/motor @15-16psi and a tune soooo.

What im curious about is if the aftermarket will be able to really add more boost while keeping the car 91 octane friendly. 15psi is a lot stock. I guess you might be able to add 2-3psi maybe. I think it will be nasty with an E85 conversion and full boltons.

·
Registered
24 Posts
The supercharger pulley on the '13 barely clears the snout O.D. so there won't be any real estate to go smaller.

One of the first mods to do will be to replace the throttle body...it appears to be the same bore size as the earlier models had.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Hot Rod mag said they watched the engine dyno at 67x hp on a engine dyno, so you can make guesses based off that as to what it'll throw down at the tires.
That would go right in line with my guesses, I bet well see them in the 590-600whp range bone stock.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I would without a doubt hold off for a 2013. I don't think the savings will be significant enough to overcome the "what if" feeling you'll have for years to come if you get a 2012.
The 2013 will likely be near 60k, a 2012 can be found for ~45k, so it depends on your budget as much as anything. 60k is a whole different world of car purchase than 45k.... I could swing a 2012 if I really found it that important to spend that much on a car, but 60? Might just as well be 90, its not even in the conversation..... Cobramanphil, if you've got the budget for it the 2013 should be an astounding car, if its really pushing it then a 2012 with some bolt-ons is pretty awesome too.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The 2013 will likely be near 60k, a 2012 can be found for ~45k, so it depends on your budget as much as anything. 60k is a whole different world of car purchase than 45k.... I could swing a 2012 if I really found it that important to spend that much on a car, but 60? Might just as well be 90, its not even in the conversation..... Cobramanphil, if you've got the budget for it the 2013 should be an astounding car, if its really pushing it then a 2012 with some bolt-ons is pretty awesome too.
LOL..to be honest I have been guilty of buying more expensive cars for the wife(ask my wife..who thinks buying status cars is all the rage and she should replace them every two years:rolleyes:). This time (and I know I have ranted up and down in the past that I would never get rid of my 95 cobra) the car is going to have to be pretty fast out of the box since I have no immediate plans to mod it (unless I have to..thinking the times this car will run will require a cage).

·
Registered
13 Posts
Besides the motor there will also be the issue of lowering the car so it does not have the "classic" S197 mustang 4x4 stance. Since it will be offered with an active suspension option it will not be as simple as bolting on a nice coil over package.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Besides the motor there will also be the issue of lowering the car so it does not have the "classic" S197 mustang 4x4 stance. Since it will be offered with an active suspension option it will not be as simple as bolting on a nice coil over package.
I agree, but from all the pictures of the new model, it appears pretty low already. Plus..I am tired of scraping my driveway with the current car...lol:)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts