1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
motor trend SUCKS at quarter mile times. MM&FF runs like half second quicker with everything. go check their time for the gt500 i can't remember what it is. i remember it ran 10s with just drag radials

·
Registered
482 Posts
There's a 2009 at our most local track (California Speedway) that's running 11.80's bone stock. He's a good driver, but still, motor trend sucks on the 1/4 mile. Seems like they always are against the American car no matter how much faster, stronger and agile it is.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I seems these cars have a hard time hooking. Every stock GT500 I have seen at the track ran horrible times. I guess it takes a lot of practice and sticky tires to get good times out of them. Not like the Nissan GT-R with AWD, just floor it and go.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
gt500 stock tires SUCK. the ones on my 07 just hop around. i havent upgraded for financial reasons but definitely getting something else when they wear out. the pp tires are much better but they are more for road track use

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
I think the new BOSS is going to "hang" with the Shelby more than people think.

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
I think the new BOSS is going to "hang" with the Shelby more than people think.
The Boss is much quicker around the track than the GT-500 already.

GT-500 = street brawler with gobs of torque
Boss = refined corner carver.

Apples and oranges.

The Boss is making 500hp N/A vs. the GT-500's 550hp and weighs less. This new 4 valve motor is going to start surprising a lot of people.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The Boss is making 500hp N/A vs. the GT-500's 550hp and weighs less. This new 4 valve motor is going to start surprising a lot of people.
I'm already surprised and have been surprised by everything I've read on this motor's potential. It's just outright a monster out of the factory with room to become a super beast. Incredible the development Ford has done on the Mustang's new engine. It's about time they caught up.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
The Boss is making 500hp N/A
I thought it was only going to make 440? Where did the extra 60hp come from? Or is this another one of those classic Ford moves where they have "under-rated" the HP? :confused:

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I thought it was only going to make 440? Where did the extra 60hp come from? Or is this another one of those classic Ford moves where they have "under-rated" the HP? :confused:
I'm gonna guess "yes" simply because the base GT really has like 435hp so the new Boss 302 has to be in the 470-480hp club (at the least), maybe even closer to 500hp.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Sweet. Has anybody put the BOSS on the dyno yet?

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
here's the vid of the shootout

·
Registered
7,142 Posts
Cant go by Road tire ET tests. These guys are doing everything they can from keeping the street radials from spinning. They are all traction limited off the line.

·
Registered
201 Posts
The Boss is much quicker around the track than the GT-500 already.
everyone seems to think that but so far the evidence just isn't supporting it. The only people that I know of that have done a head to head test is InsideLine and the Shelby beat the Boss around Streets of Willow by half a second. And thats a relatively tight track, and the Shelby in the test was a well abused press car with a notchy tranny.

If you look at VIR times, in order for the Boss to be "much quicker" it'd have to be running lap times roughly equivalent to the 430 Scuderia, and as much as I love Ford, I don't see that happening.

From what I remember of Laguna Seca times I've seen, the LS Boss is 6 or 7 s seconds quicker than the 2010 Shelby, but the 2011 Shelby is a LOT quicker than the 2010. On VIR the 2011 was actually NINE seconds quicker than the 2010.

There's no doubt that the Boss is the superior track car for other reasons (better balance, no heat soak, lighter weight = brakes and tires hold up better, etc), but as far as just turning in the absolute best lap time, they seem fairly equal and if anything the Shelby has an edge. What the Shelby gives up in balance and precision it appears to make up in grip and power. I would imagine the monstrous amount of torque the Shelby has on tap comes in handy pulling out of corners, for example.

I'd love to see some more head to head tests, other than the InsideLine one. Kind funny that right now the best competition for the Boss isn't from Chevy, Or Dodge, but is another Mustang. :)

It's definitely a good time to be a Ford guy.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts