Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wonder if it would be worth it to stuff in an older fox? 300+ horsepower combined with a potential lightweight engine would make for a potent roadrace/auto x car. Anyone know what the weight might be?

·
Registered
35,359 Posts
It's not going to weigh that much less than other alternatives -- aluminum head 5.0L, or all-aluminum LSx motors from GM. Not to mention the trouble you're likely going to have to go through from an ecu perspecive (the newer stuff has SO MANY other functions controlled by the ecu). Besides, while it might be rated at 300HP, with 3.7L - you're going to miss the torque of the V8 on the bottom.

·
Registered
39 Posts
It is also going to be difficult to find one of those engines. If you do find one, you can buy a good crate engine for the same price you will end up paying for the six.

·
Registered
1 Posts
It weighs about 330 lbs and would make a great roadrace, auto-x engine. Expect to see more v6s sold than V8s, so keep your eyes peeled, they should start showing up in the boneyards. I've already got my buddy at the local Ford boneyard looking for a rearended 2011 for me. I want the engine, transmission and ECU/EMS.

It'll probably drop more than a couple hundred pounds off my current set-up, all off the front end.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I am also looking to swap my current 3.8L (in a fox) to the 3.7L. Does anyone know if the bellhousing on this engine is the same as any of the modular engines? I have a c4 with PA bell now. Was hoping I could use the c4 with a modular bell for the swap. Anybody have information or a link to what kind of internal parts this engine has and what is available from Ford for racing/high performance? Glad to see there is a forum on here for this platform I think it has great potential. Any information appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
It's not going to weigh that much less than other alternatives -- aluminum head 5.0L, or all-aluminum LSx motors from GM. Not to mention the trouble you're likely going to have to go through from an ecu perspecive (the newer stuff has SO MANY other functions controlled by the ecu). Besides, while it might be rated at 300HP, with 3.7L - you're going to miss the torque of the V8 on the bottom.
You might be surprised how much fun they are. I remember shifting to third at 60 or so and chirping the tires big time. They are quite a bit quicker than a stock 80s Mustang GT. I got about 35 mpg on long highway trips, too. The modern 5.0 is more fun, though.

I agree it would be a lot of work to adapt into another car... just like any other modern engine.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I am also looking to swap my current 3.8L (in a fox) to the 3.7L. Does anyone know if the bellhousing on this engine is the same as any of the modular engines? I have a c4 with PA bell now. Was hoping I could use the c4 with a modular bell for the swap. Anybody have information or a link to what kind of internal parts this engine has and what is available from Ford for racing/high performance? Glad to see there is a forum on here for this platform I think it has great potential. Any information appreciated. Thanks.
I sent an e-mail to Accel Performance/Lakewood awhile back about a 3.7 to C-4 bellhousing and this is a copy of said e-mail with the response:

Alan Mackin, Mar 28 09:09:
I am thinking of building a 2011 Mustang 3.7 V-6 for NHRA Stock Eliminator and am looking for a C-4 trans bellhousing to fit my 3.7.

I see you all make a housing to fit the AODE to the 3.7 engine.
What would it take to get a 3.7 to C-4 bellhousing ?

Thank you for your time.

Alan,

Thanks for inquiring about our products.

We could build that as a "special". Cost would be approximately $1200 and delivery would be 6-8 weeks.

Order could be placed by calling our tech support line, 216-688-8300 ext. 501.

Thanks.

This ticket is automatically marked 'solved' when I respond but please reply should you need additional assistance.

Regards,

Craig

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
it would be perfect! lkq has an abundance of 2011 and up v6 engines and trans cheap.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts