Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dad's friend (long time family friend) just bought a 2012 GT500. It's bone stock and has just a bit over 2,000 miles. He knew what he was buying when he bought it, but I don't think he understood how bad ass they really are till he went online and found out that 750+whp is easily achievable. I knew a fair amount about the 4.6/5.4 2v and 4v engines, but I haven't kept up to much with the tolerances and capabilities of the newer engines. How much boost can you run on the stock engine of a 2012? Also, how much horsepower can the stock engine handle without it being a ticking time bomb? I know these things are very capable, I just was wondering what they will hold up to. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,214 Posts
700-750rwhp is doable and safe IF you keep the revs down. Don't expect to spin it to 7000 rpm and it'll be fine. There's a reason they're limited to 6000 from the factory. Keep that limit and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
700-750rwhp is doable and safe IF you keep the revs down. Don't expect to spin it to 7000 rpm and it'll be fine. There's a reason they're limited to 6000 from the factory. Keep that limit and you'll be fine.
That's awesome. Sure hope I get my promotion this year, I'll be looking for one too. Thanks for the info Razorback.

·
Registered
935 Posts
The shop I use put two stock long block '07-'09 models in the 850-ish rwhp with a KB 2.8. One was Greg Biffle's where he beat the snot out of it at the strip for a while and the other still runs around here locally.

I'm about to apply a similar recipe on my '12 with a KB 3.6, so I'll let you know how it goes!

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
What is the max RWHP that the stock blower will support on the 11-12s with bolt ons/pulley change?

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
I have been modifying them and tuning them for 6 years now. I think mid 700s is about the highest you want to go. There have been plenty of guys knocking on the 800 door and sometimes exceeding it, that blew up. However there are some out there still together.

·
Registered
293 Posts
My friend has a 2011 gt500. At first he put a ford 9in in it and but a roll cage, then he did the aftermarket cams, full bolt ons and a 3.4 whipple @ 21lbs boost....it made 808rwhp and ran [email protected] Then he uped the boost to 23lbs with a built shortblock with 50shot of nos and it made 1000rwhp, he ran a 9.57 spinning and the clutch going out WITHOUT the nos....now since the record is 8.94 with a 6 speed he just got the 4.2 kenne bell(upping the boost!) with more nos, he said he thinking he will be at least mid 8s and he will have the record time with a stock 6 speed!! here is a vid back when he was running 9.95, the corvette he is running is a built ls7 with a big shot of nos!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts