Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok guys im about to start doing cams and springs on my buddies 2010 GT500. i know the motor has to come out throught the bottom to make it easiest to work on. im a little leary of the spring though>>> have you guys done this and what spring tool did you use? any tips?

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
We have a Universal spring compressor that works great on all the modular applications,
Matco part number MST9140A, there are tons of different companys that make that same tool, so I'm sure you would be able to find one from a different manufacture. Then just use compressed air in the cylinder to keep the valves from dropping.

Hope that helps

·
authorized corral.net advertisers
17,063 Posts
The Springs can be installed in the car, it is more difficult but can be done, a good spring compressor such as those listed above will be needed if the heads are staying on the car. It is important to bring each piston to TDC on the cylinder that you are working on, this will prevent the valve from falling into the chamber.

Also for others looking to do cams springs we offer a wide range of cam choice with the best valve spring package available for the GT 500 which can be found here :

Products » 1996-2011 DOHC / COBRA/ GT500 Mustang Parts » MMR » PN#400227 MMR/Manley GT500 / Ford GT Cylinder Valve Spring kit

Here are some pics of a recent cam install with the motor still in the car:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts