Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking at GT500's for sale and I like the 07-09 models. I just can't get into the bodystyle of the 2010+ versions. I don't know much about the options or changes that were made from 07-09. Can someone tell me what changes took place form 07-09 and if one year is more desirable than the other? What were the factory options? Were there any engine or powertrain changes made? Were they all 500 horsepower? Were there any enigne problems with the 07-09's? Thnaks for any advice.

·
Registered
87 Posts
It's been over a month so I don't know if you will see this response but here goes. I just purchased a 2009 after shopping for a very long time. The 2007-2009 cars are supposed to have 500 hp at the crank. For the 2007 ones that was not the case as they came in at around 490 or so when tested after hitting the streets. Ford went back and changed the computer tune midway thru the 2008 models to actually get the 500 hp at the crank. So the later 2008's and all 2009's should be as advertised for hp.

Now the BIG issue with these cars, the clutch. Ford made a faulty clutch and put out 3 or 4 different technical bulletins about it but never bumped it to a recall because it's not a safety issue. Basically the clutch may give out at any time without any prior warning. You may notice a lot of people mentioning how stiff the clutch is on the 07-09's, that's part of the problem. Ford fixed this issue by completely changing the clutch in 2010 and the final tech bulletin advised to put the 2010 clutch in the 07-09's to fix the problem. When I bought my 09 I made sure it already had the clutch upgrade because it's like 5k to do after the fact.

Other than that, no problems or issues. These cars are awesome and put down some sick power! I plan on keeping mine for a very long time.

·
Registered
241 Posts
The 2009 has a different exhaust mid pipe ,07 had a different har balancer .

·
Banned
3 Posts
"2008 and 2009 have the HID headlights and ambient lighting. 2007 and beginning half of 2008 had the old transmissions that would warp. Ford has taken care of that for the most part and is replacing them with 2010 unites under warranty. Other than that there is no other difference. If it helps each HID headlight is a little under 1000 dollars from the dealer so it is an expensive upgrade if you consider it for a 2007."

1 - 7 of 7 Posts