Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to buy a used truck. I find a lot of 5.4 4x4 in my price range in this year range. I know the plug issue and the cam phaser issues but any other concerns? I don't drive much since I work from home but I do want something I can own for several years with no expected mechanical issues.

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
I have a 2007 5.4 3V with just over 133K on it. I had the plugs changed at about 108K. I also switched form the "spec" oil of 5W-20 to 5W30 my phasers are quiet with fresh 5W30 and when oil change time arrives they make a little noise. But have since I bought the truck with 55K on it.

Other than that service the transmission (and transfer case since you are looking at a 4x4). I had to add some friction modifier to my differential about 2 years ago. It was starting to chatter on slow turns. Adding the modifier fixed that. It's been gas and oil and tires and just maintenance stuff. Runs like a clock.

It's a turd towing my camper in the hills, but that's a subjective opinion. It has taken every thing I've put it through without fail. It has always got me where I was going and back home. Even when I ran it at 65mph uphill for 5-10 blasts for an hour in second gear through the PA mountains coming back from NJ with the camper. I'll tell you turning 4000 rpm for 7-8 minutes at a time feels like an eternity. It did it without issue.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I have an ‘08 f-150 with 212,000 miles. 5.4 triton, 4x4 and tow package rated to 10,000lbs. Ive pulled a lot of cars on different kinds of trailers and it usually doesn't feel like theres anything back there. Its a great truck. Radiator tank cracked at 200k miles and starter died at 210k miles other than that its been great. I used the 4x4 low once at orlando speed world. Their tech in is out in the grass. We came off a week of rain. I was pulling the racecar with trailer across the sloshy muddy grass and wheels started spinning. Thru it in 4 low and yanked it right out. Its just an old base model XL fleet truck and it does everything i need it to do and is pretty dang reliable. Super cold a/c as well.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
My old gal bailed me out me this morning. My daily '13 Focus commuting car battery crapped out and wouldn't even turn over this morning. No problem since the big turd fires every time. Had to scrape frost off the windows, but ol' reliable was there for me. That truck has never let me down no matter how many times I have cursed it.

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
I had a 5.4 and it was a good truck. Really loved it, sold it in a time of need for cash. I have a 2006 now with 4.6 and 3.73’s and it’s a turd. Don’t buy one without the 5.4 lol

If this one wasn’t my dad’s truck that I got when he passed I would trade it. It would be useless as a tow rig but makes a great grocery and yard work truck.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had a 5.4 and it was a good truck. Really loved it, sold it in a time of need for cash. I have a 2006 now with 4.6 and 3.73’s and it’s a turd. Don’t buy one without the 5.4 lol

If this one wasn’t my dad’s truck that I got when he passed I would trade it. It would be useless as a tow rig but makes a great grocery and yard work truck.
Didn't realize the 4.6 was that weak compared to the 5.4. Thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
My dad bought a 2000 model F150 5.4 4x2 in 1999. I am highly impressed with the torque it makes. It's not as "fast" as the GM 5.3 of it's day but it's a truck that has been used its entire life of 243,000 miles pulling race cars, tractors, and mowers (and everything in between), and it's never once given any major problem. IAC at 125,000, and one coil at 200k.

I bought an 03 lightning in 05 and drove the fire out of it. Raced it at many different tracks around the SE USA (drag racing), pulled the race car to/from different tracks, unhook, run the truck in the street class and run the race car in the no electronics (bracket) class. Every weekend for 7 1/2 years. In between races, it went to 46 of the lower 48 states. I traded it in '13 for an 03 F250 diesel (7.3); mainly because I bought an enclosed and pulling it with a lightning was just wrong. That and the Lightning had a ton of miles on it. Still have the old clattering 7.3.

Brother has an '05 F150, 5.4. 418,000 miles, had to put a transmission in it at 320k about 2 years after he bought it but other than that it's been great. Phasers are noisy. Plugs have been changed several times as well as coils twice. He has all the maintenance records from the PO as well.

The 5.4 is impressive for it's torque. We had an '04 at work for a shop truck and I loved it for pulling tractors around; it pulls like a diesel (well almost). It liked gas, though. Boss traded it straight up for a '07 silverado 3500 dually with a duramax which cost us right close to $20,000 in engine and transmission (only) repairs. It's gone now, replaced by a 08 silverado dually with a 6.0 which is also falling apart. Both the 07 and now the 08 both had/have 122,000 miles on 'em. But the good thing about the 08 is that it's a LOT cheaper to fix but it doesn't have anywhere near the torque down low that the 5.4 Ford did-NOWHERE near.

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
Got a 2004 f150 lariat. 65000 miles, changed the plugs at 50k..I bought the truck 10 years ago with 48k on it. Its not a daily as you can see. I did add a edge tuner and performed the gotts mod on the intake snorkel. I like the truck and its been a good one to me.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I picked up a 2012 F150 5.0l with 170k miles. Higher than I wanted but it was a good buy for a crew cab lariat that was in good shape.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts