Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
999 Posts
I have an 04 Mounty with the 4.6. I have seen people tow with V6 explorers already. The 4.6 will do it, but I would make sure the gearing is good and maybe a trans cooler and obviously replace the tow reciever as these came with like a class A I think .
Youll probably feel it, but it should tow. I was gonna tow a boat with mine, but decided against it since it was a daily at that time.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Definitely want to add a BIG transmission cooler.

You will most likely also need to add some rear air bags to keep the rear from sagging.

Make sure front n rear shocks are up to the task.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good advice. Thank you. I've been looking for a tow vehicle for several weeks and found an explorer with low miles for my budget limit of $4500. Not my first choice but race season is upon us here in Michigan.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Definitely want to add a BIG transmission cooler.

You will most likely also need to add some rear air bags to keep the rear from sagging.

Make sure front n rear shocks are up to the task.
Yea the suspensions in these things are notoriously beat. Deff make sure the springs and shocks are up to the task as well. These things run forever in both the V6 and V8 forms. Just the rust in the rockers and rear 1/4's are an issue and the suspension stuff can kill you if you dont work on stuff yourself. The other summer rI replaced like everything in the front suspension and has been a gem ever since. I saved a ton of money buying everything at Rock auto and just killing it all in a weekend or so. Minus the rust, I love the thing and wouldnt give it up for the world.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea the suspensions in these things are notoriously beat. Deff make sure the springs and shocks are up to the task as well. These things run forever in both the V6 and V8 forms. Just the rust in the rockers and rear 1/4's are an issue and the suspension stuff can kill you if you dont work on stuff yourself. The other summer rI replaced like everything in the front suspension and has been a gem ever since. I saved a ton of money buying everything at Rock auto and just killing it all in a weekend or so. Minus the rust, I love the thing and wouldnt give it up for the world.
Thanks. Any trouble with the transmission and/or rear diff? I'm reading reviews and it seems there's about a fifty-fifty chance of one or both falling apart on a regular basis. I can replace shocks and some suspension things and do brakes and wheel bearings.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Trans are deff known to be a weak link in these. Personally I have not had any problem with my trans, but I have not towed with mine yet either. I think the rear is more than fine.

·
Registered
45 Posts
It will work pretty hard but should be ok for an hour drive, not too hilly there in Mi. Might want to keep it out of overdrive, check the owners manual.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts