Ford Mustang Forums banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
RavenGT said:

Eric, do you mean: But no it's NOT impossible! ????? Not sure what you meant above.

joe:confused:
Joe...definitely being sarcastic...I mean just look at my piss poor MPH. :D

Hopefully pulleys and some exhaust will open 'er up.

See you at FFW this weekend?

Eric

·
Registered
588 Posts
i think it is very possible for those trap speeds. i went 12.77 @ 106 with 3.73's and 264 hp. with d/r and the car weighs 3370 with me in it.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
tebone626 said:
i think it is very possible for those trap speeds. i went 12.77 @ 106 with 3.73's and 264 hp. with d/r and the car weighs 3370 with me in it.
Holy smokes :eek: thats a crazy ET! for that gear. Great job. I have the same gear/tire setup could you please pm the timeslip numbers, want to look at the breakdown with et/mph.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just wanted to add that the Mach 1 is said to be a 300 hp car, that motor however may not be, and the rating is there to seperate the distance between it and the superchsrged SVT.
If the 01 Cobras were turning 277 to 284 RWHP whos to say the Mach one wont? If that motor was really detuned...(who would bare the cost of that and try to pass it off to your bosses, think about it, hey we have an idea for a limeted edtion performance modle. all we have to do is de tune the motor to make less hp!????)
Anyways if it turns out they got the same motor as the 01 and it was underrated to save the 01 SVTs image then its quite possible ther is more at the crank then the 300, maybe a bit more then the 320?

·
Premium Member
5,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
Ralph, thanks, the computer was down for about a month and a half. It's also the "busy" time of year in terms of school and work. Did you get your fuel system problems shored up?

DS, my statement is based on what I've seen done (I've personally run a 105.7 trap with 261/261 at the wheels on the stock T/As). You're right in that most stock 96-98 Cobras that dyno 250-260rwhp only trap 101-102. However, do most stock cobra drivers rape their cars repeatedly in order to wring out the best ET/trap? Probably not. Also, IMHO, most of the guys running those poor traps launch way to low/easy. Getting the most out of your DOHC on street tires, and even more so on DRs, requires a hella high launch and lots of clutch slip. If you don't you'll bog, as slight as it may be, it's going to cost you large at the big end. Let me repeat, any kind of bog whatsoever, and your run is toast; which leads into an annoying fallacy...That the use of DRs or slicks will respectively lower a cars trap speed, opposed to it running on street tires. Not true. Modular motors aren't exactly torque monsters (in near stock form), meaning that you're going to have to dump/slip the clutch at the highest possible rpm on launch or you'll bog. There's a fine line between bogging, hooking perfectly, and spinning when launching, and unless you're hooking perfectly or spinning you're going to lose time and speed. Launch high enough with sticky tires and you'll pick up a decent amount of trap--I've only trapped a best of 108.5 on DRs) As I said before, most aren't willing to abuse their driveline parts in such a manor.

·
Registered
538 Posts
DS97Cobra said:

Could you explain how 255rwhp is enough for 105mph trap speeds. Most stock Cobras have that much rwhp and trap closer to 101-102. I for one trap at 105 and know I have more than 255rwhp.

This is a serious question, not a jab.
See sig.... I ran a [email protected] in a 99 Cobra with only a K&N and drag radials. And it would have gone 13.1x-13.2x on that pass if I hadn't short shifted 1-2 :mad: . Now compare a Mach 1 to my car.

99 Cobra advantages:
20 more PEAK hp

03 MACH 1 advantages:
Solid axle
Better gearing
More torque
Probably less weight (due to solid axle)

I think that the Mach 1 advantages MORE than make up for the 20 PEAK hp deficit.

·
Registered
675 Posts
See sig.... I ran a [email protected] in a 99 Cobra with only a K&N and drag radials
You were probably running 280rwhp and still didnt' get 105mph

Fourcam,

Maybe so, but your car must have one hell of a torque curve or be exeptionally light to pull off 105 with those power figures. We all know a little tire spin helps mph and plenty of guys do that and don't even touch 105.7.

What were your 60fts driving like that, tires, and launch rpm??

·
Premium Member
5,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
DS, the only weight reducing mods performed at the time: 1/4 tank of gas, no spare. This was in my racing infancy, don't hold it against me Power mods were: K&K drop in, and a ported unrecal'd maf--probably hurt. My 60' was 2.02 on a well prepped 60-65F evening at Norwalk. My launch rpm was 4500 with lots of slip.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
DS, I am not giving you a hard time, but why is that MPH so hard to believe? There are 2V's making 255-270 rwhp, that are trapping 105+. And a lower-geared Cobra should have no problem reaching those trap speeds.

joe

·
Registered
627 Posts
I trapped 105 mph last night, the lowest mph I had was 104.
The 03 is heavy and probably has some serious traction issues.

·
Registered
238 Posts
weather plays a HUGE role in trap speeds

I've trapped over 102 in the 240rwhp bonestock Bullitt in -800ft density alt weather. I've also trapped 99 in +1200ft dens alt weather with no other changes at all.

Same thing in the Z06. One day I'm trapping 117, the next time out 114. Why?? WEATHER!!

make sure you're comparing apples to apples with regards to weather conditions.

·
Registered
538 Posts
DS97Cobra said:

You were probably running 280rwhp and still didnt' get 105mph
So what? I also wasn't running in perfect weather either. The mach 1 has 20 less peak hp. But it SHOULD also weigh about 85 lbs less than my cobra due to the solid axle. Also, let us please not forget that the Mach 1 may very well have more power under the curve than the 99-01 Cobra. And even if it doesn't it is set up to use the power it has better than the 99-01 Cobra due to it's gearing. I was only cutting 2.0 60' times when I was running 13.30s, and the 1.96 I got would have been a 13.1x or 13.2x had I not short-shifted by accident. I'm quite sure that a mach 1 on drag radials could cut better than a 2.0 60' time.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Andy- ???

Andy,

Thanks for the description of launching a DOHC... I agree totally, any time that I've accidentally bogged out of the hole, ET and MPH suffer MASSIVELY, it almost seems better to spin the tires a few times than to bog (since we don't have the torque to recover from the bog).

One question, I've recently switched over to 15" BFG DR's from 17" DR's... I've got the girly 4:10's, any idea what RPM I should be leaving the line at??? I'm guessing that I still want a bit of tire spin off the line to keep the R's up??? I usually don't let the clutch all the way out till the car starts to feel like it's hooking too, at which point I floor it...does this sound okay???

Justin
'97 Vobra Coupe #35
http://www.guieectuner.com
http://dohcvobra.corral.net

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
traps

I am traping at a 103.XX and can probably get more by power shifting 2,3, & 4. And break into the 12's i can see it traping at 105 + exaust mods will be the best mod for that car, do to its cam grinds just for for the exaust port to provide better torque.
first mods i am gonna do when i get mine is --->>
exaust, pullies, and advance timing to 14. 12.3 on drag radials.

later,
Jason

·
Registered
675 Posts
So what? I also wasn't running in perfect weather either. The mach 1 has 20 less peak hp
I think we had a miscommunication. I was speaking about a 255 rwhp Cobra running 105mph trap speeds. Nothing to do with you and nothing to do with the Mach 1. I thought you were responding to me saying you trapped 104.x in your car and could see the trap speeds Andy posted as reasonable. I responded that you are probably making 280rwhp and trapped less than 105, so a lower torque 96-98 Cobra with 25 less rwhp shoudn't trap 105. No offense to your car, or your trap speeds!! I don't do much better in a more highly modded car.

DS, I am not giving you a hard time, but why is that MPH so hard to believe? There are 2V's making 255-270 rwhp, that are trapping 105+.
A GT with the same rwhp as a Cobra will run circles around it in the 1/4 mile. They are much torquier (atleast 20ft/lbs at same hp level), plus I think a couple hundred pounds lighter. I question this b/c track times usually vary in ET b/c of driving technique, but mph between equal cars usually holds true. Driving doesn't pick us 3mph unless the "control" of the experiment really sucks driving. He is talking about a 3mph difference which I find interesting, and if what he says is true, I want to start doing that! just asking questions, not being a ****. As far as the gearing, I can see 4.56 gears taking a 102mph 3.27 cobra to 105, if that is the case.

DS, the only weight reducing mods performed at the time: 1/4 tank of gas, no spare. This was in my racing infancy, don't hold it against me Power mods were: K&K drop in, and a ported unrecal'd maf--probably hurt. My 60' was 2.02 on a well prepped 60-65F evening at Norwalk. My launch rpm was 4500 with lots of slip
Your theory on the mph revolves around high rpm launch with clutch slip and no bog if I interpreted what you said correctly. So are you saying if I launch at 3200rpm, and you launch at 4500rpm and we both run the same 60ft times you will trap speed higher? I ask this b/c your 60ft there isn't exceptional, although respectable on street tires, and I have seen many stockish Cobras 60 ft there and get nowhere near 105 including me. I just can't believe there is another 2-3mph in shifting down the track b/c the shifting can't get much faster.

If what you say is true, and not just an exception to your car I need to try that next time at the track. Personally, I think you just have an exceptional car.

·
Premium Member
5,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
DOHC Vobra, you're going to want to leave the line at as high an rpm as possible regardless of your gearing. I can't really say how high you can leave as that's based on track prep, clutch slip, weather, etc. Good luck, from the short times Bob's cut it looks like those 15" DRs really hook.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Fourcam281 said:
from the short times Bob's cut it looks like those 15" DRs really hook.
Not on my car.

Of course, I really don't think my beefy 3.73s are helping in that department either. :evil:

21 - 40 of 41 Posts