Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am going to keep the stock rear width. I will most likely run 245 45 17s all around. Am i going to have and rubbing or clearance problems with this rim and tire combination? Right now I have 17x9 4 lug cobra r's with 245 45 17s and no rubbing problems on front or rear.

edit* 92 GT by the way

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah im doing the conversion. Using the FMS kit that only reaplaces the front rotor and the axles and drums on the rear. Will I have to roll the rear fenders? Thanks

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Will the 2003 cobra rims work with the FMS 5 lug drums? Someone on stangnet said that it might not work just getting the cheap FMS conversion because of the older style hubs or something (Dont ask me...Im just quoting them). I thought maybe since you have actually put these rims on your car you could tell me from experience. Thanks for your help. I love the way those look on that coupe.

·
Registered
428 Posts
to use those wheels in front, you need to use the sn-95 spindles. The 5 lug Lincoln rotors will not allow the wheel to sit flush.

To use the wheels in the back correctly, you need to keep the stock track width of the fox. Using the ranger axles and drums will work fine. When using rear discs, you need to get custom caliper brackets from North Cobra and keep the ranger axles.

I have 245/45/17's in the front and 275/40/17's in the rear. The pictures show Nittos in the rear but the car is now wearing BFG's.

No rolling of the rear fender was needed and the quadshocks fit fine.

Wheels are 17 x 9" with 5.95" BS, same as the cobra R wheel (R58)

Here are some pics:

I will try to get some updated pics with the new Bullitt springs installed that dropped the car more than 1/2"
Hope this helps :)

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
got hp said:
I will try to get some updated pics with the new Bullitt springs installed that dropped the car more than 1/2"
Hope this helps :)
Dan, definately post some pics of the Bullitt springs installed!! I currently have 'C' springs on my '92 GT, and am curious as to how the Bullitt stuff would compare (mainly with regard to ride-height).

Wade

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Dan,

How do you like the Bullitt springs? Im picking up a set and swapping out my steeda sports.
Essentially I'll have the same setup as you, except SN95 GT rear track and parts. During the winter I'll put the 13in cobra front stuff on to replace my 99GT stuff (94 spindles though)

Car looks awesome!!! those new cobra wheels really work on a fox car.

Adam

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
for comparison's sake.. here is the rear view of my car, using 17x8 Cobra wheels and SN95 stock rear track..

I couldnt see how the new wheel wouldnt hit the fender unless you did some serious rolling.

·
Registered
107 Posts
You'll have to do something with the front as they rims are hub-centric. If your try to fit them on there the won't becuase the dust cap. I have the setup your talking about and the only rims I can fit on there are 94-98 cobras, 94-95 gt's, and R's. I don't know eaxctly what need to be replaced on the front but if someone could chime in that would be great, I'm looking for the correct solution to this as well!

Also, yes please anyone w/ the Bullit kit please post pics along with your shock/strut combo. I'm also looking for more info on this.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Adam, your car is way lower in the back than mine. To put the height in perspective, imagine a car with stock springs that are worn out. That is about how high my car sits with the new springs. It definately lowered the car but the springs were a definate improvement. Not harsh but not mushy like the stock springs.

If you get a chance to take a Bullitt for a test drive, do it and add some tokico 5 ways that I have. I have them set at 4 in front and 3 in the back and the ride is awesome for daily driving. I was thinking of going with some Bilsteins and a larger front sway bar since mine is about the size of a pencil.

Here are some quicky pics with the Bullitt springs....

P.S. in regards to the way the wheel fits, you NEED to get the stock track back or the wheels will come out of the fenders a ton.

I used the north cobra brackets with stock length Moser axles in 5 lug. The front fit very well and don't rub on full compression like the 99 cobra wheels did. I am using the sn-95 spindles up front (m-2300k) and 245/45/17 tires in front. I know a 275 will not fit up front and want to try a 255 to make the tire look a little more flush.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Adam,

Is that a 100% stock rear axle out of a SN 95? What year? People have told me that They cant work with out modification done to them.

Terry

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Currently, I am running Steeda Sport Springs (progressive) and Tokico 5 ways, usually set at 3 all around for daily driving.

I must be getting old, cause I want to raise the car up a little bit more.. so I'll toss the Bullitts in.

Its our 99 thats making me do all of this... I loved the way it stops.. upgrade the brakes on the 88. I love the way it rides, soften the 88 up.. its terrible! :)

Adam

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
tms217 said:
Adam,

Is that a 100% stock rear axle out of a SN 95? What year? People have told me that They cant work with out modification done to them.

Terry
well.. no..

Its my fox housing (same up to 99)
Moser SN95 31spl rear axles, stock GT brackets, anti moan brackets, rotors,calipers, etc..

Check Dans pic and you can see why a 9in wheel is just too far out on a fox. SInce I am running 8in wheels.. its no big deal to me.

and my slicks are on 7in wheels too.

Adam

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So here's what im thinking about doing:

1)Rear drums (FMS kit or axles and drums off of a ranger.)

2)Front set up off of a 94 or 95 V6. (I've heard these spindles are better for a fox than 96-up.)

Will this work?

If I go down to the junkyard and get this...what else will I need to get? E brake cable?...stuff like that

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
1 - 20 of 33 Posts