Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
I had read some where that the hood and trunk lid are not sheet metal. I am curious if someone knows what material they used. I have also noticed that a lot of people are ordering with out rear spoiler, what wing are you going to use(if any),and why not the stock one?
Thanks
Mike

·
Registered
151 Posts
According to my '03 Cobra brochure, both the hood and the trunk lid are made of "composite", whatever that means. There are several inconsistencies in the brochure, though. For example, it states that the s/c has its own dedicated drive belt. But the accompanying picture shows a single, serpentine belt. So either the text is wrong, or they used the wrong picture. Another picture of a yellow convertible shows plain black seats...no inserts in the upholstery. I don't think we can necessarily put too much stock in anything Ford says until the finished products start rolling off the line. Can't wait for my '03 vert to get here.
Later,
CW

BTW, I ordered mine with the spoiler.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hey Mike,
I heard the hood is composite as well and I am currently trying to decide which stang to get, S3 Roush or the Cobra. If I get the cobra I am not going to get the stock wing (not really a wing), and I am going to put the Roush wing on the car mostlikey. I heard some people are putting te CObra R wing on as well. Please let us know how the cobra drives when you get it. I am looking into getting a vert as well so if u could put a post on it's performace (acceleration and cornering) it would be much appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have also heard they were composite, yet I am curious if they are carbon, glass, or smething else? I am considering the R wing, yet I remain curious as to why SVT chose to put such a small one on? I wonder if there is a reason? I talked to local SVT sales guy who said his dealership will be installing an optional wing (not sure which one) on all the 03's they sell, unless ordered without. I am not sure if he was 100% reliable, but it does make me a bit curious.
Thanks
Mike

·
Registered
998 Posts
I'm sure the spoiler was put on there just for a "different" look. Not everyone wants a big ass airplane wing on the back of their car (thank god!). If I was ordering an '03 Cobra, I would PROBABLY get it sans wing, although I do like it (and I've seen it in person many times). I've also seen a few GT's and Cobra's with the R wing, and IMHO, it looks horrible unless its a real R. I even saw one on a vert at the track last week, and it was FUGLY. Go without the wing, its cleaner and classier. Trust me.

·
Registered
998 Posts
double post

·
Registered
73 Posts
from having had a 97 Cobra, the hood was also a composite(fiberglass) the 98 Vette I had was all composite.. (SMC) it's not a bad thing, lighter than sheetmetal of the same streingth, but it does cost quite abit to replace if something drastic happens to it..

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
From 94 to 03 all the factory hoods are SMC. Sheet molded composite. Very similar to fiberglass but it's not fiberglass.

From 99-03 the rear deck lids are also SMC.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
even the 94's were "composite" (aka fiberglass with a little something extra).

·
Registered
116 Posts
TC89LX said:
From 94 to 03 all the factory hoods are SMC. Sheet molded composite. Very similar to fiberglass but it's not fiberglass.

From 99-03 the rear deck lids are also SMC.
It has fibers in it. But its not sheets of fiberglass, so it's lighter.

·
Registered
224 Posts
my hood and decklid are SMPJS (aka Sheet Molded Peanut Butter & Jelly Sandwiched)

yummy!! The jelly is actually strawberry fibers (preserves)

I know this because my ram-air screws keep ripping through the SMPJS or SMC or whatever and can't seem to hold any weight even if I screw it in on an angle.

For those with the KarKraft ram-air setup, its the carbon fiber intake duct that screws up to the hood. I wonder what I could fill the holes with that would harden and allow me to have stronger threads created.

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
AV99GT said:

It has fibers in it. But its not sheets of fiberglass, so it's lighter.
Yup, reinforcing fibers within the composite material. About being lighter than fiberglass, I'd put money on it that it isn't in most cases. I've had more than a few off in the last couple years.

Stock hoods and late model decklids are still heavy, not as heavy as their steel counterparts but are definitely not fly weights.

The biggest thing about SMC is it can be made flat (not wavy like hand laid glass) and is cheap to pound out odd shapes in mass quantities.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts